“Great Accommodation, lovely food and excellent service”

Holbeck Ghyll Country House
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Reviewed 5 February 2013

As is usual at this time of year I like to take advantage of some good deals at local Cumbrian hotels to have a couple of days away and play at being a tourist. So I was looking forward to a couple days away at the Holbeck Ghyl have some relaxation time, nice food and a couple of good walks.

As I had the dog with me, we stayed in the lodge next to the hotel in the Jemima Puddleduck suite. This was lovely accommodation with fab views over towards the Lake. The accommodation was spacious and very dog friendly. Dinner in the restaurant for two nights was excellent with a good choice of vegetarian food. The many courses made the evenings very enjoyable and the portions were fine but some may find them a little on the small side. My only minor criticism was given the price of dinner being in excess of £65 the cheese board restricts people to 3 small portions and a a couple of crackers and I really felt this bit wasn't really value for money. Come on Holbeck Ghyll make it 4 or 5 portions without extra charge.

Overall I would rate this experience highly but if your looking for a comparison point of view, having recently stayed at the Miller Howe and had two nights of fabulous vegetarian food there I would say the Miller Howe has the slight edge over the Holbeck Ghyll for this type of food based on presentation, flavours, variety and choices.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Michael G
skelbo_11, Owner at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2013

Thank you so much for your good review, and you have set the challenge now! We know the Kitchen Guys at the Miller Howe well and your comment has prompted some good debates in the local pub!

I have asked my team to be generous on the cheese if people ask for a little bit more so on your next visit your request should be met.

Once again, thank you so much for your kind review.

There are newer reviews for Holbeck Ghyll Country House

Reviewed 1 February 2013

We chose the snowiest weekend of the year to visit this lovely hotel. At 5pm we phoned the hotel to say we thought we be late, then everything completely ground to a halt because of the snow. Several hours later we had to abandon our car and Tom the duty manager (hero!) came to fetch us in the hotel range rover. This was well after midnight by this point and we were greeted in such a friendly way as if this was no problem at all. Some staff had stayed up, prepared us food and insisted we have a drink in the lounge, despite it clearly being well after hours. The entire staff were SO friendly, helpful and just old fashioned kind. We were bowled over by this, thank you!
The hotel itself is delightful, small enough to be personal and cozy, the fires were all lit whilst we were there. There was even a hot water bottle in the bed after dinner, what a great touch! We missed one dinner but the second night the food was superb. A very classic menu from which I could have eaten everything. And you can buy good wine by the glass which is great if you are eating a different thing to your partner. The breakfasts were excellent too, the porridge with the cream and whiskey was to die for. The only problem with this hotel is that it's difficult for us to get to but we'll certainly go back. One of the best hotel experiences we've had.

Room Tip: Lake view rooms have a beautiful view
2  Thank Liesl P

Thank you for your review and I have given Tom a pat on the back for coming to your rescue. The amount of snow that fell in the short space of time did catch us all unawares!

Come back and see us in the summer time and take a walk up on the fells to see the views!

Reviewed 1 February 2013

We had a winter mini break for one night in January. We could not fault the hotel. The food, location and service were all excellent and we had a lovely room with a gorgeous view of the lake. There were lots of thoughtful touches, such as when the we got into bed someone had put a hot water bottle in for us. Very much appreciated on a cold night. I hasten to add it was only cold outside. The hotel was warm and welcoming.

Room Tip: At certain times In January and February it is possible to book a Lake side view room for the price...
1  Thank Linda C

I was sorry to read about the cold room. I do recall the evening and you were right about the severe drop in the outside temperature. That said, your room should have been nice and toasty so please accept my apologies. We are hoping to get our boiler improved to help boost the heating at the higher levels.

However, I was heartend to read that you enjoyed the rest of your visit to us. Come back and see us in the warmer summer time - we look forward to welcoming you!

Reviewed 1 February 2013

My husband & I stayed the Holbeck for my 30th birthday. We were expecting big things from the miss potter suite & it didn't let us down, on arrival, we were shown to our suite by the lovely lady on reception & we found a hand written note & chocolates from the hotel manager, wishing me a happy birthday :) despite the fog & awful weather, the view is amazing & we still enjoyed the hot-tub! We ate at the hotel on both evenings & the food is outstanding- i didn't want it to end, all staff are attentive & polite, the only critisim I would give is the that the dining room can be a little too quiet (to the point that I had to keep telling my husband to keep his voice down!) a bit of music would make a very near perfect experience even more enjoyable.
The photographs on the website do not do this place justice, my husband is a photographer & he took the time to take a few pics of our suite which show it off much better (I have attached a few of them).
All in all- one of the best breaks ever, lovely food, staff & room- just perfect!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

You were brave to use the Hot Tub and it sounds as though you were rewarded with the fab views! I take the point about the dining room and we are going to experiment in some areas with a little background music, just to break the silence.

Love the pictures by the way.

Come back and see us soon.

Reviewed 29 January 2013

Home from home is a good description, you feel as though you are in a good friends home when
staying at Holbeck Ghyll. Snow outside made for a lovely view while sitting next to an open fire with a nice glass of whatever you fancy at hand.
Our rooms 3 and 20 were comfortable and very clean with views of the lake. Staff always had the time to say a few words to you and nothing was too much trouble.
Food was exceptional so many thanks to the chef and team. A good selection at breakfast too.
We treated ourselves to a spa treatment..so relaxing, and made use of the sauna and steam room. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The main house has rooms with lakeview and fells. Some of the other rooms are a few steps from the m...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank SueSouthStaffs
Reviewed 27 January 2013

We stayed at Holbeck Ghyll for two nights. When we are arrived the staff were all very warm and friendly. There was some confusion over our room, but the staff were quick to sort this out, and very polite throughout. Our room was stunning, as were the views of the snow covered hills. We ate in the restaurant on the first night, and the food was delicious, as well as being very well presented. One of us is gluten free and vegetarian, and this was no fuss and very well catered for. The next morning breakfast was great, with gluten free toast provided. We were given a lovely walking route for the afternoon, and I had a very nice massage. That evening we had booked to go out for dinner, but were unable to make it to our reservation because of bad snow. We ended up having to leave the car and walk up the road to the hotel. At this point we were in pretty poor spirits, but the staff were again brilliant. They told us to go upstairs, put on some warm clothes and then they would allow us to order off the room service menu, and they set up a table for us by the fire. This was perfect, and along with some great wine and more friendly service this more than salvaged our evening. Overall it was a perfect weekend, with the friendliness of the staff adding perfectly to the lovely setting and fine food.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Josephgideondavis

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us and in such a positive way. You were complimentary about all my team and it means alot to them when people are. I have pinned your review to our noticeboard for all to read.

Come back and see us very soon.

Reviewed 24 January 2013

I've wanted to stay at Holbeck Ghyll ever since The Trip was filmed there and maybe got too excited about it.

The location is incredible. You won't get a better view. With the actual hotel, I'm not sure if we got them at a bad time, but I just felt there was that 'extra something' missing. You can't always expect an x-factor, but for £300 a night I would say you should here.

The waiters were a little in your grill, asking if you wanted something from the menu all the while you were trying to chill in one of the lounges. The saving grace on this front was the bald fella (didn't get name on reception, sorry!) who was polite beyond the extreme.

There are some good touches - chocolates on arrival and pamphlets of suggested walks being two - but on the whole I felt it lacked something to go with the price.

The advertisement of wifi in rooms is misleading as it doesn't exist - not essential but nice to have.

We only had breakfast which while nice, was not much better than you'd get anywhere else. Fine, other than most other places haven't got Michelin stars.

Don't want to be too down as the view is immense and the walks the same. Just feel the hotel could do with a bit of umph, although I'm sure they'll continue to sell out regardless. Thanks!

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank barneystinson10

Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry that we didn't hit the spot. Reviews such as yours only serve to remind us that we must not become complacent and always aim to try harder.

Yours sincerely