“Lovely stay at Holbeck would definately come again”

Holbeck Ghyll Country House
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Fantastic stay at Holbeck, the gounds are lovely and the view is spectacular, We were lucky enough to have stayed on a very sunny weekend and we ate canopes and had drinks outside on the lawn.

We stayed in the newer builds at the back of the hotel, no view but it was lovely inside, really clean, very spacious and the bathroom was amazing and so big, I think it was Eltermere cottage.

Food was fantastic, we went for the 8 course sampler menu with the wines to match, very expensive but why not enjoy the whole experience and really splash out if you are staying in an expensive hotel anyway!

Restaurant lacked atmosphere but what is lacked in this it most definately made up for in quality.

All in all it was a very good experience, very expensive, for 1 night. I could of gone away abroad for a week for the same money but very nice all around.

Nice treat.!!! Try it at least once!!

1  Thank FlossyP0123

Reviewed 8 September 2013

I took my partner to the restaurant here for a birthday surprise and was really impressed with the meal. Having the aperitif on the terrace overlooking Lake Windermere at sunset is one of those experiences neither of us will ever forget - a stunning view followed by a stunning meal. The service was a little slow at times but that didn't hamper a wonderful evening.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
skelbo_11, Owner at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Firstly, I must apologise about the delay in service. I have mentioned this to Tom, our Restaurant Manager, and he joins me in sending our apologies. You were lukcy to get the fab weather and enjoy that sunset - this summer has been truly spectacular for those. We are all glad that you enjoyed the meal and we do hope that you will come back and see us on your next visit to the English Lakes.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

We came here a couple of weeks ago for dinner and we were so impressed my husband surprised me with a 2 night stay in miss tiggie-winkle room (best view ever) well worth the money it was such a luxurious room with great views I want that view every morning I wake up! On arrival we got champagne, chocolates and roses in our room lovely touch! We didn't want to leave the room. The staff are so nice here and the dinner was amazing just like last time. the Jerusalem artichoke velouté amouse bouche was beautiful, the guinea fowl was superb and my husbands beef equally good we had a bottle of champagne followed by a bottle of opus one my treat to my husband followed by dessert and I always have to have my cheese with a beautiful glass of Ramos pinto it was a wonderful night. We experienced the spa too and the two therapists were really good, treatments were very relaxing. We will definetly return here at some point so relaxing and luxurious but comfortable at the same time.

1  Thank LAAWigan

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed the food and, again, I have passed your kind comments onto the ladies in the Spa.

Do come back and see us soon.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

A real gem of a hotel with magnificent views over Lake Windermere. The food was wonderful , and the welcome was superb . We were a two generations party and the young enjoyed it as much as I did . We took our two little dogs and they were ready to move in , so settled were they in the lovely fireside nook in the entrance hall . Wonderful walks begin and end at the hotel . A first class spa , the best massage I have had in years . We all decided we would make it a regular treat . Exceptional value for such first rate service .

Room Tip: I stayed in Squirrel Nutkin , the view was breathtaking
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank sophiakidd

Thank you for taking the time to review us. I have passed your comments onto the ladies in the spa and they are thrilled with such positve feedback. Daisy sends woofs, sniffs and licks and we are waiting to look after you when you have a date for your next visit to the Lakes!

Best Wishes

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Our time at The Holbeck Ghyll was fantastic. We booked in November for Cathy,s birthday and we were up graded to a fantastic suite over looking Lake Windermere. The room was the best we have stayed in. In the restaurant the food was to die for, the evening meal was much more than can be explained in this blog. If you are looking at spending some time in the Lake District around Windermere then this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms over looking Lake Windermere.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CathyandDave070

Thank you for your review and it is nearly time to come and visit again - check out our webpage for special offers!

Reviewed 19 August 2013

We have just got home after staying at Holbeck Ghyll for two nights and I do just want to cry, because I want to go straight back!!
After promptly checking out of the hotel my other half had originally booked (which really did make me want to cry, or get a divorce!!) we arrived on Saturday afternoon and immediately knew we had found exactly the right place.
After a much needed, and very large, drink in the lounge (sat in the bay window with spectacular views of the stunning lake and landscape), we were offered the choice of viewing several different rooms all at the same fantastic rate.
The choice of the Mrs Tiggy-Winkle suite was a no-brainer! Enormous bed with views through the huge picture windows of the same breathtaking landscape and lake. The lounge area shared this view and the glass doors opened onto a private balcony with table and chairs. Lovely big bathroom with separate shower and bath and all facilities in room that you could wish for, including a decanter of damson gin! A lovely spiral staircase in the centre of room led to a small lounge area with single bed (and was the cause of much hilarity for me when hubby walked straight into it on his way to loo in middle of the night, serves him right for booking the earlier duff hotel!).
The restaurant was just lovely and the food and wine incredible, truly one of the best meals we have both ever had and we had no hesitation eating there again on our second night, simply sublime!
One minor blip we had with the shower was promptly attended to by the General Manager, Andrew. To be honest, I only mention it so we can thank Andrew again for the way he compensated us, which really was not necessary but was very much appreciated!
We could not fault our stay in any way, the hotel, our suite, the service and all members of staff were brilliant. And again the food, perfect (we had breakfast in our room and it was perfect).
I have never bothered to write a review on anywhere we have stayed before but just could not let this one pass, we will definitely be back, just not soon enough for me!

2  Thank AngelaTony2013

Thank you so much for your kind review. My apologies for the boiler problem and you were welcome to the gesture, thank you for your patience. We all enjoyed looking after to you and do hope to welcome you back very soon!

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Oh dear what a shame that restaurant staff are lacking training.After a most wonderful welcome from Dave on reception and the delight of our room and location all went downhill from there.The Michelin star for the restaurant is surely a myth. Our experiences during dinner and breakfast are as follows.Butter warm and runny on silver plated dish required 2 requests to be exchanged; ordered half bottle ofNew Zealand Sauvignon Blanc was NOT the bottle requested and no apology offered! In fairness the wine itself was excellent.Additional bread roll failed to materialise despite repeated requests! Breakfast was a repeat of poor service post the general managers welcome into dining room. Toast arrived early,cold and half cooked( obviously not toasted to order) despite request for arrival with kipper and poached haddock.White toast never arrived as requested by my wife.Finally request for our thermos flask to be filled with hot coffee and warm milk upon departure was granted but when opened was LUKE WARM, hopefully our comment card will receive more attention than our personal requests. Oh forgot that when paying bill was advised that 1% surcharge would be applied to all credit card payments.Not applied to deposit pay,ENT via credit card and no prior advice of latter surcharge.Not sure this is legal but certainly not good customer relations.

5  Thank Michael I

Dear Michael,

We are all saddend by your review. We did try very hard to accommdate your requests in moving rooms on arrival because of the drilling noise, (although it turned out to be an electrical item going off in your bag), we did apologise about the wine, we did replace the butter, I have responded to your comment card and we inform our guests on the website, on reservation and on checkout about the charge. You should not have had to wait for a bread roll or toast and my restaurant manager joins me in apologising.

Of course, we take your comments seriously and such comments only help us to strive to do better. This is the second response that I have posted, hence the delay; I can only assume that the other has been removed?

Yours sincerely