Booked months in advance to stay here with friends, and specifically to eat in the restaurant. No one told us when we booked months in advance that we needed to pre-book the gourmet menu. It doesn't mention this on the website either. Nor was it mentioned when we checked in. If it had been we could have prebooked for the following evening. Consequently we had to have the standard menu. The food was great and the sommalier really knew his subject, so no complaints about the food - just about the lack of information provided. Customer service does need improving. There was no cold mains water for part of Friday and Saturday - a bit tricky when it suddenly goes off when you're in the shower, and the water suddenly becomes scalding. We had to request bottled water, which really should have been automatically forthcoming. There wasn't much of an apology either from Reception Staff, who didn't seem to know that this had happened two days in a row. The hotel location is fabulous and the hotel itself is lovely, but it needs a bit of TLC in places (paint peeling on the outside of the windows and grubby hand and palm prints all over the back of the bathroom door). We had a great weekend, and I would go back but this didn't quite match the standard of other 'Small Leading Hotels of the World' that I've stayed in, which is a shame.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This luxurious country house hotel is set in eighteen acres of private woodland and gardens, in England's picturesque Lake District. Holbeck Ghyll offers 23 individually designed en-suite rooms, most with spectacular views over Lake Windermere. The Health Spa offers a range of treatments, sauna, steam room. Food is an integral part of any guests stay, and the Restaurant, which retained a Michelin Star for 14 consecutive years, will not disappoint. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, LateRooms, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Holbeck Ghyll Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holbeck Ghyll Country House Hotel Windermere
- Holbeck Ghyll Country Hotel
- Holbeck Ghyll Country Windermere
- Holbeck Ghyll Country House Windermere, Lake District