“Bit Disappointed”

Holbeck Ghyll Country House
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Booked months in advance to stay here with friends, and specifically to eat in the restaurant. No one told us when we booked months in advance that we needed to pre-book the gourmet menu. It doesn't mention this on the website either. Nor was it mentioned when we checked in. If it had been we could have prebooked for the following evening. Consequently we had to have the standard menu. The food was great and the sommalier really knew his subject, so no complaints about the food - just about the lack of information provided. Customer service does need improving. There was no cold mains water for part of Friday and Saturday - a bit tricky when it suddenly goes off when you're in the shower, and the water suddenly becomes scalding. We had to request bottled water, which really should have been automatically forthcoming. There wasn't much of an apology either from Reception Staff, who didn't seem to know that this had happened two days in a row. The hotel location is fabulous and the hotel itself is lovely, but it needs a bit of TLC in places (paint peeling on the outside of the windows and grubby hand and palm prints all over the back of the bathroom door). We had a great weekend, and I would go back but this didn't quite match the standard of other 'Small Leading Hotels of the World' that I've stayed in, which is a shame.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank YvonnePoole
skelbo_11, Owner at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2013

Thank you for posting your review. I was disappointed to read that we didn't met your expectations. I have taken your idea regarding the Gourmet Menu on board and the pre-booking is now mentioned on the website.

I must apologise for the lack of cold water, sadly the mains pipe fractured and then, the following day, the fixing burst. I have spoken with my reception team and we hope to handle complaints more empathetically in the future.

My housekeeper also sends her apologies for the grubby handmarks that we missed. There is always improvements happening throughout the hotel and outside window frames is one of those Forth Road Bridge tasks.

I do hope, that on your return, you will find all off the areas which let us down this time much improved.

Yours sincerely

There are newer reviews for Holbeck Ghyll Country House

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Just returned from what has become my favourite relaxing, luxurious get a way. The views are spectacular, the hotel is beautiful, the staff top class and the food is to die for. Add the expertise of a first class Sommelier and the perfect meal is accompanied by excellent wines which you'd never discover yourself. Nothing is too much trouble and the rooms are all different depending on your choice but wherever you are you're guaranteed a great nights sleep in sumptuous and spotless surroundings. Its not the cheapest hotel but its the best and you get what you pay for which is quality, professionalism, comfort and relaxation.

Room Tip: All rooms are first class but it depends whether you're looking for a fantastic view which most...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Anne H
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Fantastic stay at Holbeck, the gounds are lovely and the view is spectacular, We were lucky enough to have stayed on a very sunny weekend and we ate canopes and had drinks outside on the lawn.

We stayed in the newer builds at the back of the hotel, no view but it was lovely inside, really clean, very spacious and the bathroom was amazing and so big, I think it was Eltermere cottage.

Food was fantastic, we went for the 8 course sampler menu with the wines to match, very expensive but why not enjoy the whole experience and really splash out if you are staying in an expensive hotel anyway!

Restaurant lacked atmosphere but what is lacked in this it most definately made up for in quality.

All in all it was a very good experience, very expensive, for 1 night. I could of gone away abroad for a week for the same money but very nice all around.

Nice treat.!!! Try it at least once!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FlossyP0123
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I took my partner to the restaurant here for a birthday surprise and was really impressed with the meal. Having the aperitif on the terrace overlooking Lake Windermere at sunset is one of those experiences neither of us will ever forget - a stunning view followed by a stunning meal. The service was a little slow at times but that didn't hamper a wonderful evening.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
skelbo_11, Owner at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Firstly, I must apologise about the delay in service. I have mentioned this to Tom, our Restaurant Manager, and he joins me in sending our apologies. You were lukcy to get the fab weather and enjoy that sunset - this summer has been truly spectacular for those. We are all glad that you enjoyed the meal and we do hope that you will come back and see us on your next visit to the English Lakes.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

We came here a couple of weeks ago for dinner and we were so impressed my husband surprised me with a 2 night stay in miss tiggie-winkle room (best view ever) well worth the money it was such a luxurious room with great views I want that view every morning I wake up! On arrival we got champagne, chocolates and roses in our room lovely touch! We didn't want to leave the room. The staff are so nice here and the dinner was amazing just like last time. the Jerusalem artichoke velouté amouse bouche was beautiful, the guinea fowl was superb and my husbands beef equally good we had a bottle of champagne followed by a bottle of opus one my treat to my husband followed by dessert and I always have to have my cheese with a beautiful glass of Ramos pinto it was a wonderful night. We experienced the spa too and the two therapists were really good, treatments were very relaxing. We will definetly return here at some point so relaxing and luxurious but comfortable at the same time.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LAAWigan

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed the food and, again, I have passed your kind comments onto the ladies in the Spa.

Do come back and see us soon.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

A real gem of a hotel with magnificent views over Lake Windermere. The food was wonderful , and the welcome was superb . We were a two generations party and the young enjoyed it as much as I did . We took our two little dogs and they were ready to move in , so settled were they in the lovely fireside nook in the entrance hall . Wonderful walks begin and end at the hotel . A first class spa , the best massage I have had in years . We all decided we would make it a regular treat . Exceptional value for such first rate service .

Room Tip: I stayed in Squirrel Nutkin , the view was breathtaking
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank sophiakidd

Thank you for taking the time to review us. I have passed your comments onto the ladies in the spa and they are thrilled with such positve feedback. Daisy sends woofs, sniffs and licks and we are waiting to look after you when you have a date for your next visit to the Lakes!

Best Wishes

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Our time at The Holbeck Ghyll was fantastic. We booked in November for Cathy,s birthday and we were up graded to a fantastic suite over looking Lake Windermere. The room was the best we have stayed in. In the restaurant the food was to die for, the evening meal was much more than can be explained in this blog. If you are looking at spending some time in the Lake District around Windermere then this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms over looking Lake Windermere.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CathyandDave070

Thank you for your review and it is nearly time to come and visit again - check out our webpage for special offers!