We've recently returned from our second stay at Holbeck Ghyll. We stayed quite a few years ago and that visit left memories of a beautiful house with good rooms, stunning food and amazing service.
The good news on returning is that the house and its location are still very much intact and the location is always going to be unbeatable (the weather was good which made for really great views of the lake and hills).
I would still rate the rooms as "good" - our room was clean, cosy and comfortable and offered those views. The decor is very much in keeping with the style, location and age of the house.
The food is still very, very good. We dined in the restaurant twice and had very good food on both evenings and the hotel and restaurant were both busy which made for a good atmosphere at dinner time.
The service wasn't quite as I remembered it. It's still good but I wouldn't say it was excellent or memorable and it felt like the tiny details were being missed. The first night's dinner was served at quite a fast pace whereas the second night's was better but our wine order seemed to get forgotten, bread turned up to the table without any butter and the hors d'oeuvres lost a bit of variety over the previous night.
These are tiny things but they can add up and I did wonder whether the restaurant was running with fewer staff and more diners than it used to as a couple of really good staff seemed to be doing an awful lot.
That said, these were small things and this is still a great place to stay with excellent food and in a great location but it would be nice to see some of that attention to detail come back into the food service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This luxurious country house hotel is set in eighteen acres of private woodland and gardens, in England's picturesque Lake District. Holbeck Ghyll offers 23 individually designed en-suite rooms, most with spectacular views over Lake Windermere. The Health Spa offers a range of treatments, sauna, steam room. Food is an integral part of any guests stay, and the Restaurant, which retained a Michelin Star for 14 consecutive years, will not disappoint. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Agoda, Evoline ltd and Hotel.de so you can book your Holbeck Ghyll Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holbeck Ghyll Country House Hotel Windermere
- Holbeck Ghyll Country Hotel
- Holbeck Ghyll Country Windermere
- Holbeck Ghyll Country House Windermere, Lake District