“Fantastic Manor”

Holbeck Ghyll Country House
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Our two nights at the Holbeck Ghyall was nothing but impressive. Nice and easy check-in, our heavy suitcases were transferred to their third floor almost immediately. We stayed in the room # 23 which offered stunning panoramic lake view (highly recommended). Dinner package was great and we had a good experience throughout.(we had several great meals around the lake but the hotel dinner had to be one of our best) Breakfast were busy but very good. WIFI was a little mediocre and almost impossible from the third floor and several angle of the hotel.

Room was old-fashioned but beautiful and in good condition, bathroom was likewise, nice and spacious with good quality spa amenities.Sleep quality was fantastic.

Overall we had a great time here and will certainly be our future choice around Windermere.

Room Tip: room 23 and other lake view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
skelbo_11, Owner at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2013

Thank you so much for your great review. You have let the cat out of the bag though! Room 23 is a Traveller Secret - it is the best value room we have! We are so glad you enjoyed your dinner with us; I have passed your comments onto the Kitchen and Restaurant teams.

I have made a note about your wifi comments. You are right that it is patchy in some areas of the hotel and we are planning to overcome this. In the meantime I would like to assure other readers that there is free wifi in all public areas in Holbeck House.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post such a nice review.

There are newer reviews for Holbeck Ghyll Country House

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Miss Potter suite is very nice. Views are nice. Hot tub is overlooked but nice. Make sure you turn the temp up if necessary as soon as you get there so its warm when you get in. When we got there the temp was way down so it wasnt that warm until later in the night. I expected it to be warm when we got there really for the money. Dinner was OK but nothing special. Service was OK but slow because there were few staff and a lot of guests. Staff were pleasant. Spa is very small, treatment was fine but there was no aroma oil in the steam room so it smelt slightly of old socks. Didnt think it was good value for money compared to other places around, but did like the room.

Room Tip: Miss Potter suite is very nice. hot tub is overlooked but nice. make sure you turn the temp up as so...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Freespiritsunshine

Thank you for the constructive feedback. Our spa team apologise for the lack of aroma in the steam room. That has been rectified and now smells of healthy Eucalyptus Oil.

I am sorry that you didn't think we were value for money. We do offer lots of special deals throughout the year, all of which can be veiwed on our website.

Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

This was our third stay and whilst we thoroughly enjoyed our stay the service was not to the standard we have previously experienced. Like a previous reviewer we had to wait nearly 30 minutes to be served a drink pre dinner and found some of the waiting staff in the restaurant to be less than helpful. The food was wonderful though. One afternoon we also waited 20 minutes to be served in the lounge when we wanted tea. The room we had was lovely although the bathroom needs updating. Although you can drink water from the bathroom we were surprised that a bottle of water was not provided in the room. Overall we really like this hotel and hope that the service issue was a one off.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Masartnd

I have asked for you to contact me directly but for the benefit of other readers I will respond here. I am sorry that you had to wait so long for a pre-dinner drink; sometimes we are busy but this should never happen. We have recently recruited an extra barman so I hope that we will be able to speed up lounge service significantly.

There is no excuse for poor attitude for any of my team and this has been addressed internally. Please accept my sincere apologies for this.

With regards to water, our water is fresh from the hillside and is purer than any mineral water. We did used to put bottled water into the rooms but it seemed strange as we were offering guests an inferior product when compared to what was coming out of the tap! We will make a note that you would prefer bottled water in your guest profile so we can make sure that on your return we have this ready.

Please come back and see us soon.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Celebrated my 50th birthday and also our 30th wedding anniversary. The hotel, the staff, the location, the food were all absolutely perfect. We had the gourmet menu, we only just about managed to fit it all in, seven courses is a lot of food. The taste buds were definetly working. Lovely lovely tasting food with absolute attention to detail.

We really loved this hotel and will definitely be returning. Thank you so much for making our celebration such a special one. Linda

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the great review. We enjoyed looking after you and your husband and I am always proud when people choose Holbeck for milestone birthdays and anniversaries.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Andrew.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Stayed here on a Thursday night with a group of 8 friends celebrating my 40th b-day with a trip round the north.

We booked the Diner's Delight package which is unbelievably cheap considering what you get. One night in a beautiful bedroom, with either a great lake view or a shared terrace (with a lake view) that some of us had. The standard price is for fell view but they upgraded some of us. The bathroom I stayed in (room no.7) was incredibly spacey with a separate shower. Bed very comfortable. Old and cute design.

Also included was a fabolous afternoon tea in their lounge. With all the sandwiches, scones and sweets you could eat.

Then came three-course dinner that started off with champagne cocktails (well, not so good actually) and terrific canapées in the lounge. We browsed the menu and got to choose from three starters and three mains. After a while in the lounge (and some extra dry martinis) we we're redirected to the dining room and our table situated in the same place where Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon sat in "The Trip".

I had the scallops to start with and they we're probably up there with the best I've ever had. Others had the duck terrine and we're almost as satisfied.

For main course all of us had the lamb and everyone was pleased. Then came dessert menus and here we had a full menu to choose from. The "lemon" and the "pineapple" desserts we're most popular among us and everybody loved them.

As if this wasn't enough then they brought out the cheese expert with his trolley of 14 cheeses. Mainly french and english ones and we got to try a piece of everyone. Magic moment.

We then went back to the lounge for coffee, cognac and a huge tray of petit fours. So full, so satisfied.

The next day we went for strolls in the spectacular countryside. Among sheep and cows overlooking the lake. All of us agreeing that we had to come back.

The staff here we're all so very kind and welcoming. We had some issues with the lounge staff understanding us during afternoon tea and pre dinner cocktails, but other than that everything went smoothly.

Holbeck Ghyll is a must visit if in this part of the country. Can't think of a better place to bring my girlfriend and dog next summer.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your detailed review of the Diner's Delight - it is a good package and you described it very well. Sorry that the cocktails didn't make the mark - Tom, our Restaurant Manager, joins me in sending our apologies.

The Coogan/Brydon table is very popular as would be expected and I have passed your kind words onto the kitchen brigade. Such praise from such an experienced traveller as you does wonders for our morale.

We all look forward to you returning.

Best wishes

Andrew and Daisy (the dog)

Reviewed 30 September 2013

We ate here in August - the delay in reviewing was to give the restaurant an opportunity to respond to my email, which they've declined to do.

We arrived slightly before our booked slot and were pointed to the lounge. Despite being told someone would take a drink order soon we waited over 20 minutes. I mentioned this at the front desk and they didn't do anything.

When we ordered our food we were told we couldn't have the tasting menu as we hadn't pre-booked. At no point were we told we needed to do this or given an opportunity to do so. I mentioned this but the waiter didn't do anything, instead he simply said 'oh' and walked off!

Service was sluggish throughout - we had to prompt for our wine, which arrived after our food, despite the waiter's response being that 'of course' it would arrive before the food when we prompted.

Food was ok - some dishes (crab and grapefruit) simply didn't work, others were fine, all were overpriced.

A special mention for the man who served us coffee, ordered a cab and boxed our petit fours to go, as he was the only glimmer of decent service all night.

We emailed the restaurant to tell them of our experience and they replied promptly that the manager would be in touch. They weren't.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DulwichUK
skelbo_11, Owner at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

I am so sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your visit to us. I am surprised to read that we haven't responded to your request for feedback. Usually my team and I try to be quick with these issues. Can I ask that you try emailing me directly on andrew.mcpherson@holbeckghyll.com?

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 24 September 2013

My wife and I stayed at Holbeck Ghyll for 2 nights at the end of August as part of a week long tour of the lake district and Scotland. The whole experience here was fantastic. Our room (number 2) had the best view I think I've ever had from a hotel with a commanding view of Lake Windermere that I could have (and did) spend hours watching. The whole hotel is an example of classic British country hotel at it's best - classical done well. Service was impeccable throughout, friendly and personable and I can see why people say it's like being a guest at a friends posh house!
We ate at the Michelin restaurant on our second night and the tasting menu we had stood up extremely favourably to other similar establishments (with the added benefit of those amazing views from the windows!). Breakfast was of a similarly high standard.
We also had a couple of spa treatments (LaStone hot and cold stone) which were amazing!
All in all this place has it all - would go back in a heartbeat

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank UkSteveP

Thank you for your great review. My team and I think your description 'staying in a friends house' is exactly what we set out to achieve. The spa ladies are over the moon with the mention, so thank you for taking the time to mention them.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Andrew McPherson