“Beautiful place to spend an evening”

Holbeck Ghyll Country House
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Keswick, United Kingdom
“Beautiful place to spend an evening”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

My girlfriend and I took advantage of the January sale and stayed in the Miss Potter suite. It's an excellent place to hide away on a wintry, rainy night. We have been to Holbeck Ghyll before for dinner but this was our first time staying overnight and it lives up to all expectations. The standard of service is very high but not so much that it puts you on edge. (I find that overly attentive service makes me feel a bit uncomfortable but they get the balance just right.)

The Miss Potter suite itself, which is separate from the main building, is very well-appointed and very warm with underfloor heating throughout. We had an early morning dip in the private hot tub on the balcony which was more pleasant than it sounds on a cold, misty morning.

Breakfast was superb and being vegetarians we had to customise the menu a bit but they happily dealt with this. The menu lists Eggs Benedict but I asked for Eggs Florentine (with spinach) and it wasn't a problem.

Our only real comment was that the suite could do with a porch as you're quite exposed while fumbling for the keys and trying to unlock the door if the rain's hammering down (which, let's face it, in the Lake District it often is!)

Room Tip: The Miss Potter suite has lake views and a private balcony with hot tub. I can't imagine a room...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We, myself, my wife and my mother [late 70s and now with poor hearing and walking an effort] returned to Holbeck Ghyll after our visit in 2011.Things were even better!
We had the two bedroomed cottage, the Shieling, and found it very warm and comfortable.
My mother found the downstairs bedrooms a real benefit: not having to constantly go up and down stairs in the evening.
Bathrooms are now looking dated but are fully equipped and with an exemplary range of toiletries. Cleaning is very well done and the evening turn-down service sets up the rooms perfectly for your return after dinner.
The upstairs living room was very spacious and well furnished. Festive decoration was perfect and the constantly refreshed supplies of tea, coffee and biscuits in the kitchen area made it a great place to find yourself snoozing during the breaks between meals or activities.
The main hotel is a couple of minutes stroll and was beautifully decorated for the season. The lounges are very comfortable and with lots of seating [although this was stretched during the main festive meals which, usually, started with a pre-meal drinks reception].
The Dining rooms are really well organised for the Christmas break. Tables are varied during the four day break, giving everyone fresh views over the surrounding countryside during daylight and new guests to chat to during the evenings.
Evenings see a range of entertainment: hand-bell ringers and trips to church services on Christmas eve, party games on Christmas day and a casino night on Boxing Day which you are free to join in or enjoy the efforts of other from your armchair with a comforting brandy!
Nothing seems too much for the staff, ever smiling and really attentive. Andrew is seemingly ever present and ensuring my mother is always happy. Tom runs the restaurant with charm and precision while Stefan will ensure your wine tastes are fantastically catered for.
The food is an obvious highlight - a constant Michelin standard being maintained on every one of our dishes over four days with the possible exception of the 'traditional' turkey main course on Christmas day. This was much better than a similar course two years ago. Overall the atmosphere, service and sheer quality and quantity of food on Christmas lunch alone is worth the visit!
The range of options on the menus over the three nights with dinner was really good, allowing us to enjoy lamb, beef, fish and game; all beutifully cooked and presented.
My mother's visit to the wellness area for a manicure went very well, with caring staff who ensured she felt really pampered.
I'd be amazed if, god willing, we don't return!

Room Tip: Lake view rooms are worth the extra. Cottages vary enormously but one will fit your needs.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Keith I
skelbo_11, Owner at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
So sorry for this delayed response; I cant believe how time flies. I am glad that you enjoyed yourselves and we do all hope to welcome you, and Mum, make it back soon - I cant wear my red trousers without thinking a the bursar!

Best wishes to you and your clan.

Andrew, Tom and the rest of the team
manchester
Reviewed 12 January 2014

My husband and I have been staying at Holbeck for over 15 years for special occasions i.e. birthdays, wedding anniversaries etc. We stayed for 2 nights on 16th and 17th December 2013 for my birthday. We booked a few weeks before hand and as usual requested any room in the main house, as they are usually all great. We were allocated room 6, which we couldn’t recall staying in before. The room itself was decorated lovely however there were 3 areas of concern 1) the bed was far too hard. The only position to get comfortable was lying on one’s back. I woke up a few times with pins and needles down my arm, as the mattress was so hard. I mentioned this to reception the following morning who informed me that most of the mattresses had been changed in the last 12 to 18 months, so changing rooms would not help the situation. I requested a second duvet to be placed under the bottom sheet which helped a little on the second night. 2) The second problem was the noise coming from a locked cupboard behind the headboard on the left hand side of the bed. The noise woke me early in the morning between 6am and 7am and again on retiring to the room to get ready for dinner. It sounds like either water pipes or ventilation etc. Thankfully, the noise could not be heard when we retired in the evening around 11.00pm. I would consider explaining this issues to guests in future and offer a room reduction. Some guest may not mind the early morning noise. I didn’t appreciate it. 3) The third but minor issue was with regards to the shower. It was difficult to get the right temperature of water and the shower head was not very powerful. I have long hair and it took a long time to shampoo and condition due to the lack of speed of the water coming out of the showerhead. Everything else was fantastic - food, wine, service, ambiance, spa was out of this world. Gourmet meal with accompanying wines was fabulous. Holbeck - please just consider these small points, as I think I may be trying somewhere else this year! Sorry.

Room Tip: Choose your room carefully. Don't book room 6 unless you like a really hard mattress and don'...
2 Thank seansid
Don't go. We are always improving bedding and new mattresses. I am very disappointed that my team did not offer to show you around and I have had a word with the team. Please accept our apologies. Please do give us a call when you have a date in mind to return and explain the issues that you had and we can make sure that your next room is more preferable. I would be grateful if you could email me your name, via the Tripadvisor contact email, so that I can make a note in your booking profile.

Yours sincerely

Andrew McPherson
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

This was our 6th stay at the lovely Holbeck Ghyll but our first Christmas and it was everything and more what we hoped it would be.

There was a lovely atmosphere around the place and everything available you could want for a fabulous Christmas in a beautiful Country house hotel.

This is my favourite Hotel in the Lake District and being a fusspot it ticks all the boxes for me - the food the wine the staff the rooms and of course the amazing views.

It is'nt cheap but the best never is!

1 Thank barbie M
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Recently had short stay here for my Birthday.We chose to stay in one of the lodges having done so previously and it didn't disappoint.
Accommodation of a very high standard with view to die for.
Staff very friendly and welcoming and service excellent.
Food superb with plenty of choice and all cooked to perfection.
Always a pleasure to stay here and I'm sure we will return soon.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed here for one night between Christmas and New Year.

The building has a lot of charm about it, which looks very inviting with it's open fire places and numerous sofas although it does look a little tired.

The view of Windermere from our bedroom window was spectacular although again, the room was a little basic.

All of that said, the food and the service in the restaurant is excellent and is well worth a visit.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

We have just spent the weekend at Holbeck Ghyll, we will definitely return. The bedrooms are sumptuous, magnificent views over lake and hillsides, (room 4). What can I say about the food and the service. The food is outstanding, the flavours, textures and presentation ten out of ten, equal to any top restaurant in London and better than some. The service throughout the hotel is faultless, from front desk, waiters, waitresses and management. Can not recommend this hidden retreat enough.

Fiona and Max