“Fantastic hotel.. Exceptional service and staff in beautiuful surroundings .” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holbeck Ghyll Country House

Holbeck Ghyll Country House
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Carlisle
“Fantastic hotel.. Exceptional service and staff in beautiuful surroundings .”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a spa day at the hotel, 6 of us came for my friends birthday and it was out first visit for all of us. All the staff we met in both the spa and restaurant were friendly and extremely efficient and couldn't of done more to make sure we had left having a wonderful experience. I would like to praise the staff at the spa who looked after us.. If you are thinking about having a spa treatment I can strongly recommend I had a full Swedish massage and Cheryl was excellent.. All six of us were impressed and they were carried out to a high standard.Please note however there is no pool. We too were unfortunate that the hot tub was not working this particular day however we were granted a free pudding after what was meant to be a two course lunch which was a lovely gesture. The restaurant was a little on the cold side but the food was amazing and definitely lives up to its Michelin star credit. Our waiter was particularly witty :) and extremely attentive, the service was truly faultless I felt. The food also is not just of high quality and taste but presented most beautifully , we moved to more comfortable surroundings for our tea and coffee and homemade truffles round a log fire in the lounge. It was a very relaxing memorable day. Thank you again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Charlotte G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

Having not visited for a number of years and having seen a change of ownership in that time it was with some trepidation that we made our way back for a three night stay at the Holbeck Ghyll. We need not have worried as if anything it was even better than we had remembered. Being lucky enough to both eat and stay at the hotel I have posted this review on both the restaurant and hotel sites. So let’s start with the accommodation which from its elevated position has splendorous views of the lake and adjoining landscape. The main house is pure arts and crafts with wooden panelling and inglenook fire places. It follows the arts revival with traditional William Morris prints, stained glass inner-detailing, bay windows and wonderful attention to detail. The wood work in the staircase and the front door is pure craftsmanship and accompanied with sumptuous appointments you are sure of a comfortable stay. The staff are friendly, efficient and very proficient in their duties and knowledge according to their role. Expertise in the menu on offer and wine available are second to none. This is formal fine dining with panache! The food is exceptional hitting just the right note of top quality with sufficient but not over-facing quantity. We also tried the Spa which was very indulgent but worth every minute and would recommend that any stay is accompanied by one of their treatments. If you’re looking for a retreat from the hustle and bustle then I can think of nothing better, Anywhere!!!

1 Thank keystonePreston
Keswick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

My girlfriend and I took advantage of the January sale and stayed in the Miss Potter suite. It's an excellent place to hide away on a wintry, rainy night. We have been to Holbeck Ghyll before for dinner but this was our first time staying overnight and it lives up to all expectations. The standard of service is very high but not so much that it puts you on edge. (I find that overly attentive service makes me feel a bit uncomfortable but they get the balance just right.)

The Miss Potter suite itself, which is separate from the main building, is very well-appointed and very warm with underfloor heating throughout. We had an early morning dip in the private hot tub on the balcony which was more pleasant than it sounds on a cold, misty morning.

Breakfast was superb and being vegetarians we had to customise the menu a bit but they happily dealt with this. The menu lists Eggs Benedict but I asked for Eggs Florentine (with spinach) and it wasn't a problem.

Our only real comment was that the suite could do with a porch as you're quite exposed while fumbling for the keys and trying to unlock the door if the rain's hammering down (which, let's face it, in the Lake District it often is!)

Room Tip: The Miss Potter suite has lake views and a private balcony with hot tub. I can't imagine a room...
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

We, myself, my wife and my mother [late 70s and now with poor hearing and walking an effort] returned to Holbeck Ghyll after our visit in 2011.Things were even better!
We had the two bedroomed cottage, the Shieling, and found it very warm and comfortable.
My mother found the downstairs bedrooms a real benefit: not having to constantly go up and down stairs in the evening.
Bathrooms are now looking dated but are fully equipped and with an exemplary range of toiletries. Cleaning is very well done and the evening turn-down service sets up the rooms perfectly for your return after dinner.
The upstairs living room was very spacious and well furnished. Festive decoration was perfect and the constantly refreshed supplies of tea, coffee and biscuits in the kitchen area made it a great place to find yourself snoozing during the breaks between meals or activities.
The main hotel is a couple of minutes stroll and was beautifully decorated for the season. The lounges are very comfortable and with lots of seating [although this was stretched during the main festive meals which, usually, started with a pre-meal drinks reception].
The Dining rooms are really well organised for the Christmas break. Tables are varied during the four day break, giving everyone fresh views over the surrounding countryside during daylight and new guests to chat to during the evenings.
Evenings see a range of entertainment: hand-bell ringers and trips to church services on Christmas eve, party games on Christmas day and a casino night on Boxing Day which you are free to join in or enjoy the efforts of other from your armchair with a comforting brandy!
Nothing seems too much for the staff, ever smiling and really attentive. Andrew is seemingly ever present and ensuring my mother is always happy. Tom runs the restaurant with charm and precision while Stefan will ensure your wine tastes are fantastically catered for.
The food is an obvious highlight - a constant Michelin standard being maintained on every one of our dishes over four days with the possible exception of the 'traditional' turkey main course on Christmas day. This was much better than a similar course two years ago. Overall the atmosphere, service and sheer quality and quantity of food on Christmas lunch alone is worth the visit!
The range of options on the menus over the three nights with dinner was really good, allowing us to enjoy lamb, beef, fish and game; all beutifully cooked and presented.
My mother's visit to the wellness area for a manicure went very well, with caring staff who ensured she felt really pampered.
I'd be amazed if, god willing, we don't return!

Room Tip: Lake view rooms are worth the extra. Cottages vary enormously but one will fit your needs.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Keith I
skelbo_11, Owner at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
So sorry for this delayed response; I cant believe how time flies. I am glad that you enjoyed yourselves and we do all hope to welcome you, and Mum, make it back soon - I cant wear my red trousers without thinking a the bursar!

Best wishes to you and your clan.

Andrew, Tom and the rest of the team
manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

My husband and I have been staying at Holbeck for over 15 years for special occasions i.e. birthdays, wedding anniversaries etc. We stayed for 2 nights on 16th and 17th December 2013 for my birthday. We booked a few weeks before hand and as usual requested any room in the main house, as they are usually all great. We were allocated room 6, which we couldn’t recall staying in before. The room itself was decorated lovely however there were 3 areas of concern 1) the bed was far too hard. The only position to get comfortable was lying on one’s back. I woke up a few times with pins and needles down my arm, as the mattress was so hard. I mentioned this to reception the following morning who informed me that most of the mattresses had been changed in the last 12 to 18 months, so changing rooms would not help the situation. I requested a second duvet to be placed under the bottom sheet which helped a little on the second night. 2) The second problem was the noise coming from a locked cupboard behind the headboard on the left hand side of the bed. The noise woke me early in the morning between 6am and 7am and again on retiring to the room to get ready for dinner. It sounds like either water pipes or ventilation etc. Thankfully, the noise could not be heard when we retired in the evening around 11.00pm. I would consider explaining this issues to guests in future and offer a room reduction. Some guest may not mind the early morning noise. I didn’t appreciate it. 3) The third but minor issue was with regards to the shower. It was difficult to get the right temperature of water and the shower head was not very powerful. I have long hair and it took a long time to shampoo and condition due to the lack of speed of the water coming out of the showerhead. Everything else was fantastic - food, wine, service, ambiance, spa was out of this world. Gourmet meal with accompanying wines was fabulous. Holbeck - please just consider these small points, as I think I may be trying somewhere else this year! Sorry.

Room Tip: Choose your room carefully. Don't book room 6 unless you like a really hard mattress and don'...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank seansid
Don't go. We are always improving bedding and new mattresses. I am very disappointed that my team did not offer to show you around and I have had a word with the team. Please accept our apologies. Please do give us a call when you have a date in mind to return and explain the issues that you had and we can make sure that your next room is more preferable. I would be grateful if you could email me your name, via the Tripadvisor contact email, so that I can make a note in your booking profile.

Yours sincerely

Andrew McPherson
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

This was our 6th stay at the lovely Holbeck Ghyll but our first Christmas and it was everything and more what we hoped it would be.

There was a lovely atmosphere around the place and everything available you could want for a fabulous Christmas in a beautiful Country house hotel.

This is my favourite Hotel in the Lake District and being a fusspot it ticks all the boxes for me - the food the wine the staff the rooms and of course the amazing views.

It is'nt cheap but the best never is!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank barbie M
Cheshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

Recently had short stay here for my Birthday.We chose to stay in one of the lodges having done so previously and it didn't disappoint.
Accommodation of a very high standard with view to die for.
Staff very friendly and welcoming and service excellent.
Food superb with plenty of choice and all cooked to perfection.
Always a pleasure to stay here and I'm sure we will return soon.