“Absolute Perfection!!”

Holbeck Ghyll Country House
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
“Absolute Perfection!!”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Booked a one night stay at the Holbeck Ghyll for 16.04.14 on a DB&B basis with only a days notice. Have wanted to stay here and dine in the Michelin star restaurant for a long time so had high expectations and I'm pleased to say that this was one of those rare occasions where a hotel not only meets your expectations but far exceeds them! I had booked a fell view room but upon arrival was shown to a suite. What a fantastic surprise and great start to the whole experience - because staying here really is a wonderful experience from beginning to end - The Eltermere suite where we stayed has received some criticism on tripadvisor as there is currently some building work going on opposite however I must say there was no noise or disruption to our stay and although it wasn't the prettiest of views to be looking out at, we could easily see past the improvements being made to the hotel overall, to the fell views. Then we chose to have drinks on the terrace of the hotel looking out on to the lake so we enjoyed best of both worlds, beautiful view and amazing suite! The Eltermere suite is pure joy, with everything provided that you could possibly wish for. Beautifully decorated and modern.
The hotel's attention to detail is completely stunning. They really do think of everything. You are made to feel special from the moment you walk in the door until the moment you leave. The service is truly exceptional, so friendly and professional. The staff do their very best to make you feel welcome and special during your stay.
We dined at the Michelin star restaurant in the evening and the food was simply out of this world. Each course was a pure delight. The service again was attentive and the excellent communication between staff is evident in their seamless service in the dining room. Breakfast was equally delicious. The Eggs Benedict were just to die for.
The whole experience at the Holbeck Ghyll was just absolutely fabulous. It was truly special and memorable and I look forward to staying at this amazing hotel again in the near future.
Thank you Holbeck Ghyll!

2 Thank Margaret K
skelbo_11, Owner at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Thank you for writing this review for us; I am delighted that you have mentioned the Eltermere Suite - we are moving forward with the works and the view is being improved all the time. However, I am delighted that my team looked after you and that you enjoyed the food. I have pinned your review to our kitchen noticeboard and it does wonders for everyones morale.

We all look forward to you returning to Holbeck Ghyll in the very near future.

Andrew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Our son booked us (and the dog) dinner, bed and breakfast as a surprise birthday treat. He had been before but we were'nt sure what to expect,especially after reading some recent reviews. We arrived and were instantly welcomed by staff and shown to our room in the lodge.The views were stunning and although the room's decor looked as if it was nearly ready for renewal,it was spotless and very comfortable. Dinner was marvelous,the staff were not stuffy at all and we were looked after royally. The dog was welcomed into the inglenook and generally fussed over! We hope to return someday.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
I am delighted that you had a great time and only sorry that you had reservations and weren't throughly looking forward to your visit because of some unfair reviews. I am glad that my teams hard work has paid off, glad you found that the team were not stuffy and were able to relax. Most importantly, I was delighted to hear that we looked after your dog well! We are going through all the rooms, slowly but surely, updating them - on your next visit ask to look at some of the updated rooms; I think you will be impressed!

Once again, thank you so much for taking the time to post such a lovely review.

Andrew
Bedford
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Having just returned from Holdbeck Gyhll, having stayed eight times over a six year period at least once a year. we despair at some of the comments some guests add to trip adviser.

Personally I feel some guests just go out of there way to pick fault and moan because others have rated the hotel very well.That's there choice I suppose but such comments should be treated very cautiously indeed.

The staff at Hollbeck are polite, and always ready to listen to any request you may have, welcoming and warm, service timing is spot on not to long and not to short to feel rushed.

From your order bring taken by friendly but not over familiar staff is a joy. What you see is what you get at Holbeck. peace, quiet and relaxed, efficient, and food that is simply put, consistently very very good.

The staff that work tirelessly to provide such a fine dinning experience all deserve much praise, again thank you it means a lot when you have a few days away and enjoy so much.

Staff who take your orders and provide such a welcoming feeling, are a credit to the hotel. We thank all the staff for a great stay.

One should not forget the Hotel Manager Andrew. who will often be forgotten in any hotel staff thank you list, Always around to make you feel welcome. but never imposing.

Enjoy a Indian head massage, that really starts the break off, with total relaxation.

Ask the front desk on walks the best, easy, hard walks there always happy to advise.

The Hotel is small but that adds to the simple sense of relaxation and the view never tires, beautiful.

After six years I have tried to put my finger on the real appeal of Holbeck the dinning, the location, the staff, many who have been there a long time. the answerer is everything, simply put, “ what you see is what you get a joy to stay” sad to leave till next year.

Dear Mr and Mrs S,

All my team, especially Tom and the Restaurant guys, just want to say how great it was to see you both again. It was a delight to have you staying and we really look forward to seeing you again next year. You are right in that it can be dis-spiriting to read some reviews but I try to encourage my team to look at the positives and learn from what the guests say; on the other hand getting feedback from guests such as yourselves means all that much more!

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post a review and we do look forward to seeing you again next year.

Best wishes from eveyone here.
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Visited for one night Dinner Bed & Breakfast. Not cheap but worth every penny. Food out of this world, very comfortable accommodation, excellent spa and hot tub. Breakfast was as good as dinner and the whole experience was wonderful.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
skelbo_11, Owner at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Thank you for your great score; I have posted it onto our staff notice board and everyone is delighted. Very glad you enjoyed the outdoor hot tub! Can I suggest that you sign up to our newsletter - we always put our very best offers into our monthly e-shot (we only do one a month so you won't be bombarded). That way, we hope to welcome you back very soon.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to log on and share your experience with others.

Andrew and the team.
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014

A big disappointment over all. We booked in for the tasting menu and even though it was specifically requested on booking we were told they had ran out upon arrival. This is completely unacceptable. We were left with the normal menu which was not what we wanted. We ordered gin and tonics with lemon and no ice. They arrived with NO lemon AND ice, we were told this is how they do it! The arrogance of the waiter was unbelievable. The food itself was average at best. I have been to several Michelin star restaurants and this is by far the worst. I shall not return.

3 Thank EDED084
skelbo_11, Owner at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
I was very disappointed to read that you had such a poor experience in my restaurant. If that is how one of my team dealt with a simple mistake I offer my sincere apologies. Such lack of customer service is inexcusable. As I don't know your name or the date you came to dine I am unable to comment on the specifics; suffice to say that I would ask that you contact me directly at the hotel so that I am able to review the rota for the night in question.

In many restaurants the Tasting Menu is comprised of a selection of dishes from the a la carte menu. Ours is a separate menu and we produce a limited number of dishes; when they have been sold, there are no more. I am sorry if you were unable to experience this menu and when I can identify your booking I can investigate how our communication had broken down. Pre-booked Gourmet Menus are catered for so I am at a loss as to how we had sold out before you arrived.

I await your correspondence.

Yours sincerely

Andrew McPherspn
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I am a very lucky person. My wife had booked a two night stay at Holbeck Ghyll for my 40th birthday. I had looked at the hotel website numerous times in the days leading up to our stay. I then searched for guest reviews and saw some negative comments on this website regarding construction works/noise. I alerted my wife and asked her to contact the hotel as I wanted the weekend to be memorable for all of the right reasons. She was advised that the works would not be a problem, and that if we were bothered by any noise then they would ask the builders to stop. Upon arrival on Friday afternoon we were greeted by the lady on reception who immediately made us feel welcome and personally showed us to our room. The hotel had provided a complimentary bottle of champagne, a box of truffles and a small bottle of damson gin for our enjoyment. A very nice touch indeed! Our room was beautiful, very spacious and a lovely outdoor terrace. Our stay included dinner/bed and breakfast so with genuine excitement, we went downstairs for dinner. We were shown into the drawing room where we ordered drinks and were given some fabulous amuse bouche to savour whilst we perused the menu and wine list. Andrew, the general manager personally came to see us to ascertain if everything was to our liking as he had personally spoken to my wife when she called about the negative reviews. We were then taken through to the restaurant which was beautiful. It was a lovely environment, very busy, attentive staff, excellent service...and the food...Wow. I have been to a number of Michelin star restaurants, but Holbeck Ghyll eclipsed them all. My starter (on Friday evening) of rillettes of rabbit is probably the most delicious plate of food I have ever eaten. Main course, best end of lamb, followed by a combination of English and French cheeses were also ridiculously good. Stefan, the sommelier was knowledgeable and attentive, looking after the entire restaurant with ease. The food my wife ordered was equally well presented and delicious. The food on Saturday night was also fantastic. As part of our stay we also added some spa treatments. The spa was excellent, my wife and I both had a massage, followed by a sauna and steam room. Our entire experience at Holbeck Ghyll from arrival to departure was quite literally, outstanding!

Phil & Wendy Doyle

Room Tip: We were in room 8.
1 Thank Philip D
skelbo_11, Owner at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Dear Phil and Wendy,

Thank you very much for your great review and I am delighted that your visit was very enjoyable. I have posted your comments on our staff noticeboard as well as making a note in your Guest Profile notes that you enjoyed your stay. When you are considering coming back to us please do contact me directly and I will make sure we look after to you again.

Best wishes from us all.

Andrew and the team.
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 29 March 2014

My husband & I stayed here in 2000 before the hotel became so well known & got it's Michelin star. We were delighted by it then, very comfortable with excellent service & meals. I think Holbeck Ghyll has become complacent & no longer deserves it's reputation.
I was annoyed during booking to be asked for a £200 debit card deposit for a one night stay 6 weeks before our visit. I'm used to giving credit card details to secure a room but felt this was going too far. I almost backed out at that time but we'd been meaning to return for a while ... Paying the balance again involved a debit card or 2% charge. I don't expect this in a hotel of this quality or size. The charge for a morning newspaper was the last straw & I refused to pay. It seemed so petty. Altogether 'bad form' as if they have a poor opinion of their guests.
Our room was not luxurious. It was oddly laid out & the two arm chairs provided were not comfortable. I didn't like having to go outside on a cold, rainy March evening to get to the main part of the hotel. Also, when I ask for single beds I don't expect them jammed up together to make one bed.
Finally the meal: we thought it uneven. My starter & desert were excellent but the brill & asparagus I had as a main course were tasteless to the point of being inedible. My husband was the other way round, rating his main course very highly but not his starter or desert. To be fair, the service was excellent & I was offered a desert wine but I drink very little so refused.
Breakfast was OK but we've had better in a good B&B.

2 Thank WinstonSophie
skelbo_11, Owner at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
I was saddened to read your posting. I was the chap who refunded your newspaper charge on departure; I really wish that you had mentioned all these things to me when I could have done something about them. I have passed your comments and preferences onto our kitchen team, who are delighted that you enjoyed your starter and dessert and that your husband enjoyed his main course. I am so sorry that you have left with a disappointing view of Holbeck and would like to reassure you that my guests are the centre of my world. I am sure we could have talk you issues through and you would be more than happy to return.

Please do contact me directly should you return to the lakes and I will personally help you make your booking.

Yours sincerely

Andrew McPherson

To any readers of this review; we have been operating a deposit policy since 2009 which is clearly explained on our website. For our most regular guests, we don't require one at all - but we do have to know you very well! We have implemented a charge for paying by credit card to offset the increasing bank charges that we face. There is no charge for using a debit card of course. With regards to rooms 'outside' - the old house has 13 rooms and the other rooms are situated through various building in our grounds, (most of which have the best views), the location of which is clearly highlighted on our website. If you have any concerns at all please do check with our reception team. Our zip-and-link beds are two single beds, zipped together. if you require them to be seperated by a distance, please do ask us on arrival and we can do that quickly and easily by putting the bedside table in between.