Our first visit to Holbeck Ghyll and we were not disappointed.
As other reviewers have said, the Hotel location is stunning and the staff are friendly but professional.
The bedroom we had (5) was spotlessly clean, although it is starting to need a refurb, with the bathroom needing repairs to the bath surround base (water damage) and perhaps some shelving is needed for toiletries/shaving gear etc above the hand basin.
The restaurant was very good too with high quality cooking (as you would expect from a Michelin starred chef) and a sensible wine list. However, on both nights we were there the confirmed times for dining were not being observed. We had reservations at 8 for 8.30 but it was well past 8.30 before we seated. One couple were given free drinks because they had waited so long past their booked time. The restaurant was full, so perhaps the kitchen was under too much pressure?
We were also a little surprised that we were not offered assistance with our bags on arrival. We were in the main house,so needed to navigate the staircase to reach our room - although I'm able to carry heavy bags up the stairs, an offer of help would have been nice.
One final point is that the Hotel charges 1% or 2% more for using credit cards. Although this is shown on the website, I find it very surprising that a hotel of this standard, with the margins they must have, should do this.
Overall then, a very pleasant experience, but, trying to be constructive, there is a bit more to do before I would give an "excellent"score.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This luxurious country house hotel is set in eighteen acres of private woodland and gardens, in England's picturesque Lake District. Holbeck Ghyll offers 23 individually designed en-suite rooms, most with spectacular views over Lake Windermere. The Health Spa offers a range of treatments, sauna, steam room. Food is an integral part of any guests stay, and the Restaurant, which retained a Michelin Star for 14 consecutive years, will not disappoint. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Holbeck Ghyll Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holbeck Ghyll Country House Hotel Windermere
- Holbeck Ghyll Country Hotel
- Holbeck Ghyll Country Windermere
- Holbeck Ghyll Country House Windermere, Lake District