“Excellent food, location and service. Quite 'old school'. Spa treatment disappointing.”

Holbeck Ghyll Country House
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband and I stayed for two nights at Holbeck Ghyll in Room 9, a Fell View room.

Positives:
- Excellent food at all times, from sandwiches / scones in the lounge, to breakfast, to the tasting menu evening meal.
- Good sized room with modern bathroom.
- Views from the dining room & lounges are beautiful.
- Service was professional and on the ball at all times. We were never left wanting for anything.
- The sommelier was particularly charming and interesting to chat to during dinner.
- Location – Just a short walk through a little wood and a field (with sheep/lambs and bunnies) down to the lake, with a couple of dining options if needed.

Areas for improvement:
- Both lounges feel quite formal and stuffy. We appreciate somewhere to relax with papers / laptops and these didn’t hit the mark.
- Although the small spa is well presented with lovely facilities, my treatment was quite poor. I wasn’t even asked what kind of pressure I like for a massage and it was very, very light, so as to hardly be worthwhile.
- A more overt offer of help with luggage would have been appreciated (we felt we had to ask).

Overall an enjoyable stay. Not entirely convinced on the value for money, but I expect the proximity to and views over the lake command the premium.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
skelbo_11, Owner at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Thank you for your comprehensive review. We have taken on board all your constructive suggestions and we always look hard at areas where we can improve. I was also delighted to read the areas that you enjoyed so much. Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel soon and you will be able to experience all the improvements first hand.

Andrew and the Team.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,255)

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We spent our honeymoon at this amazing hotel 40 years ago when it was a very homely hotel. The tower room has the most amazing views and we were able to be in there. The little touches like the damson gin etc just made the whole experience very memorable. Dinner was superb and breakfast was to die for - the best Eggs Benedict ever! and we were the only guests in the overflow dining room with the best view in the house. We have been back a few times over the years and we certainly won't be leaving it so long until we are back again!

Room Tip: We love the tower room because of the memories, the views and the character it has
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your very nice review and we also hope that you come back soon! I passed your comments onto Jenny, who was our breakfast chef when you were here; she is delighted.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Me and my partner took my Mum for 3 nights over the second May Bank Holiday weekend. Me and Mum had previously stayed last year for 4 nights, and am pleased to report that we all had a fantastic time again. We had 2 Lodges this time, numbers 4 & 6 - both were faultless in presentation and have all the necessary amenities, whilst also providing excellent views of the Lake.

The food was outstanding as usual ! I won't bore you with what we had, but do strongly recommend that the scallops are tasted if on the menu - simply divine !!

I had read the night before we left home the review that was posted by "the critical couple" some time ago on their own website - it had left me & my partner slightly concerned. However, I am pleased to say that their experience of HG is nothing like ours - all our food was fab.
(the only small criticism would be the sauce that came with Mum's beef one night was a little too rich for her, but the beef itself was divine she tells me).

I must say that both Tom in the restaurant and Stephan the sommelier were most helpful, welcoming and knowledgeable - a credit to the Hotel.

We will defo be staying again, and would recommend HG to anyone wanting a quality relaxing time in the Lake District.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

What a great review! Tom and Stefan send their regards and the kitchen team are glad you found the food enjoyable. It is a shame that a pretentious website can undo all the hard work that we put in so when we as a team, get good honest feedback from guests who stay with us for a long time, we are over the moon!

Once again, thank you so much for such a good review and we all look forward to welcoming you back to see us again.

Andrew and the Team

Reviewed 27 May 2014

please let me start with the only two negative points regarding our stay and then we can focus on the positive:
not being allowed to drink champagne in the hot tub ( I don't mean not allowed to bring your own which I would understand, they will not serve you alcohol in hot tub). The Samling next door are happy to oblige.
Breakfast: the continental buffet has a very limited choice and so does the cooked option. Maybe only aspect where they do not seem to be at the top of their league.

Now the good stuff.
amazing location, all public spaces and our bedroom were impeccable. I always expect the country houses to be in need of refurbishment, not this one.
The best thing about the hotel may be the staff. So friendly, accommodating, professional. But let me insist on the friendliness, all their smiles appear to be genuine. They look happy to be here and to talk with you this includes the night porter who more than made up in friendliness for his lack of knowledge of the whiskeys on offer.
If I had to pick a favourite employee I may be tempted to choose one of the two French young men who looked after us in the dining room, but that could be due to the fact that I am French myself. They were all excellent.
The spa was a great experience too. Both mine and my now wife treatments were excellent.

We will stay there again for sure, and there are not many places we consider going back to with so many hotels to choose from.

Room Tip: room 6 was great with amazing views from the shared terrace.
1  Thank Didsbex

Thank you so much for your positive review. Kevin and Julian are blushing following your mention! We have taken your comments regarding the alcohol and have purchased plastic glasses and the Chef and I are always looking at how we can improve the food offerings. That aside, I am so glad that you enjoyed your food and the service was as you hoped.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to review us and we do hope to welcome you back very soon.

Andrew and the Team

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We recently celebrated our wedding at Holbeck Ghyll and cannot believe how perfect our day was.
All of the staff were nothing short of amazing, nothing was too much trouble, and they were so warm and friendly they really helped to make the day relaxed and informal, but with the sense of occasion such a day requires. The food was outstanding, both the gorgeous afternoon tea and the excellent evening meal. The location and grounds were so beautiful I could not picture a more perfect setting for our special day. Thank you Holbeck Ghyll, we will be returning.

Room Tip: The Miss Tiggy-winkle suite has a beautiful uninterrupted view of Lake Windermere ( Please note ther...
1  Thank maxwellbb
skelbo_11, Owner at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

We were all delighted you enjoyed you visit to us and we thought you both looked fabulous, (especially the bride!). If you do have any photos you would allow us to share on our facebook page we would be over the moon if you sent one through!

Tom, Greg and I all hope to welcome you back before you 1st wedding anniversary!

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Wonderful hotel. Great and friendly staff - guided us to our parking space and always helpful. Lovely rooms overlooking Windemere. Marvellous food and bar. What not to like? Nothing.
Also dog-friendly. The puppy loved the place!

Room Tip: Make sure you have a view of Windemere - and avoid where the building work is taking place.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

So glad that you enjoyed your visit to the lakes and I hope you took back some great smell memories for later on. Did you find the rabbits? If not, whine and whine at your owners until they bring you back and I promise I will show you where they are. Give them a couple of licks for writing such a nice review!

Woofs, sniffs and licks,

Daisy the Golden Retriever.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed at this charming hotel for a couple of nights in Eltermere suite. This had a fell view, but was a bit marred by overlooking a house with building work in progress, so not the best of views. Anyone with mobility problems may find it hard as it is quite a steep incline to the suite, although you can park your car outside.
Those were the only negative points about this hotel as everything else is first class. The suite is beautiful, very modern, comfortable with a lounge & lovely bathroom complete with three TV's including one above the bath. They have thought of special touches to enhance your stay such as the damson gin & hot water bottle placed in the bed when turned down at night.
Canapes with our pre dinner drinks were tasty & the food was beautiful & worthy of its Michelin star. Breakfast was also a delight with plenty of choice & gorgeous views towards Lake Windermere-what a start to the day!
The staff here are wonderful. Nothing is too much trouble, they really go above the call of duty to look after you.
I would certainly recommend this hotel especially if you want to celebrate a special occasion as it really does deliver. I will definitely be returning.

1  Thank Sue J

Thank for your honest review and giving us such a high score. I am sorry about the building works - as you probably know we are building a bio-mass boiler and laundry, which will be great when it is finished. In the meantime I am sorry about the view.

Do call us when you are returning and we can talk you through all the different room catergories so we can get the right room for you.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to review us and we all look forwward to welcoming you back very soon.