My husband and I stayed for two nights at Holbeck Ghyll in Room 9, a Fell View room.
- Excellent food at all times, from sandwiches / scones in the lounge, to breakfast, to the tasting menu evening meal.
- Good sized room with modern bathroom.
- Views from the dining room & lounges are beautiful.
- Service was professional and on the ball at all times. We were never left wanting for anything.
- The sommelier was particularly charming and interesting to chat to during dinner.
- Location – Just a short walk through a little wood and a field (with sheep/lambs and bunnies) down to the lake, with a couple of dining options if needed.
Areas for improvement:
- Both lounges feel quite formal and stuffy. We appreciate somewhere to relax with papers / laptops and these didn’t hit the mark.
- Although the small spa is well presented with lovely facilities, my treatment was quite poor. I wasn’t even asked what kind of pressure I like for a massage and it was very, very light, so as to hardly be worthwhile.
- A more overt offer of help with luggage would have been appreciated (we felt we had to ask).
Overall an enjoyable stay. Not entirely convinced on the value for money, but I expect the proximity to and views over the lake command the premium.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This luxurious country house hotel is set in eighteen acres of private woodland and gardens, in England's picturesque Lake District. Holbeck Ghyll offers 23 individually designed en-suite rooms, most with spectacular views over Lake Windermere. The Health Spa offers a range of treatments, sauna, steam room. Food is an integral part of any guests stay, and the Restaurant, which retained a Michelin Star for 14 consecutive years, will not disappoint. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd and Ebookers so you can book your Holbeck Ghyll Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holbeck Ghyll Country House Hotel Windermere
- Holbeck Ghyll Country Hotel
- Holbeck Ghyll Country Windermere
- Holbeck Ghyll Country House Windermere, Lake District