“Fantastic service and location.”

Holbeck Ghyll Country House
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“Fantastic service and location.”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

The staff, service and food are all fantastic and without fault. Plus the view from the terrace and hot tub money can't buy. However I honestly couldn't recommend friends to stay. The rooms don't quite reach the same standard as the rest of the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Evey1979
skelbo_11, Owner at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
We are all delighted to read that you enjoyed the great majority of your stay to us. You should checkout our refurbished rooms on our website or ask the reception team to talk you through which rooms are more modern in design. We are always refurbishing and updating rooms so please give our reception team a call and we can make sure that you get into a room that you like.

Andrew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The voucher that I got as a birthday present made us go to Holbeck Ghyll together with friends from the village. On arrival we had G&T's and cocktails for the ladies and some very nice canapees. The 7 course surprise menu with matching wines were one of the best we ever had.
Service was excellent and the explanation with every course and the description of the wines was very well received, We enjoyed some fantastic flavours and surprising combinations of food and wine. Thanks to all the staff for a fantastic evening.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
We are all delighted that you and your friends enjoyed themselves. The Gourmet Menu is a popular menu and Stefan, our sommelier, is pleased that you enjoyed his choice of wines. Thank you for taking the time to post such a good review and we all hope to see you back at Holbeck when time allows.

Ko Samui, Thailand
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We stayed in the Miss Potter Suite, which had a hot tub on the balcony overlooking the lake and mountains- so good we stayed in there for hours, drinking the complementary champagne and damson gin (nice touch). The hot tub wasn't perhaps as private as the website photos suggest, but immensely enjoyable all the same, even in the rain! The evening meal was one of the best we've had, from the canapes to the petit fours, each course was worthy of the impressive reputation. The staff were all professional, friendly and attentive, without being overbearing. Breakfast was plentiful and well cooked, and was brought to our suite without fuss. Thanks for a lovely stay, we look forward exploring the main house next time.

Room Tip: Choose the Potter Suite if you want a private hot tub.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
I am delighted to hear that you tried out the Hot Tub in the rain! It is when it is at its best. I have taken on board your comments regarding the privacy of the hot tub and that is something we will consider in future refurbishments. We are very glad that you enjoyed the breakfasts; this is something that we do try and put extra effort into.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a good review and we all hope to welcome you back soon.

Andrew and the team.
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Booked based on prior reputation. Booked room online and tried to ring earlier in the week to book a table. I was told that someone would ring me back to sort the table however I received no return phone call that evening so I emailed the next morning. I did receive a reply that we couldn't have our requested time of 7.30pm but either 8.30 for 9pm or 6.30 for 7 pm. Slightly disappointed but we opted for the earlier time.
When we arrived we were underwhelmed with the surroundings as there was building work going on near the hotel although partially disguised with some fencing. The reception hall is extremely dark and we were looking forward to sitting in the lounge with lovely views of Windermere . The lady on reception then informed us that we were unable to go in the lounge as there was a small wedding on. Very poor! They didn't inform us when we booked that a wedding was on so certain rooms would be out of bounds. My husband was rather cross. The hall had some comfy seating but we didn't want to sit in a dark room with hardly any window and no view on a bright sunny day!!We drove to another hotel which we nearly booked instead to use their lounge and have a drink. We wished we had booked this hotel in retrospect.
The room we had was one of the cheaper fell rooms which are always Moore expensive on a fri/sat.It was adequate overall and had reasonable views but it was dated with a small basic bathroom. The bed was extremely comfortable and we slept well however there was certainly no luxury about the room. Carpets frayed and upholstered chairs a bit grubby! In fairness the manager of the hotel emailed me later to offer us a free upgrade if we were to go back again. The restaurant manager with whom we were chatting must have passed on our comments.
The food was mixed. Our starters and desserts were excellent but the main courses were poor and bland. I asked for my beef to be medium well. It came extremely well done in a tasteless mushroom sauce. I had expected the food to blow us away,being a michelin starred restaurant. On top of that the seating in the dining room is uncomfortable. The wine waiter also appeared to be very self important and this became irritating. We also did not receive the wine we ordered which we noticed but didn't say anything as it was similar. It was actually cheaper! Interesting though that he didn't draw our attention to it. Breakfast was ok . Nothing wrong with the food but an uncomfortable atmosphere. No background music so people were whispering.
On a positive, the staff on the whole were very friendly and the manager did take time to email me about a future upgrade . I hadn't made any formal complaints etc. Would I stay here again?? Sadly I think the answer is no! For the prices charged I thought it disgraceful that the lounge was out of bounds to residents. The rest I found to be hit and miss. I didn't find the whole experience value for money.

3 Thank annie792
I am so sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us as much as you should have. As we have already emailed, you are very welcome to return and we will show you some of our updated rooms. One of the lounges was indeed taken up with a small wedding for two and I am sorry that you were inconvenienced.

Yours sincerely

Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I booked Holbeck Ghyll as a surprise 25th wedding anniversary treat having read a number of reviews and was absolutely delighted with all aspects of the stay. The food was sensational - imaginative, beautifully presented and with the best ingredients. The service was excellent - somehow both very friendly and very professional. We felt genuinely at home with a lovely view over the lake from room 2. I had forgotten how stunning the Lakes are - especially in the sunshine! We even ate on the terrace the 2nd evening - the staff set up the table especially for us and we were outside until 9pm. Can't fault it. It's a little pricey, but not compared to some places we have stayed and actually represents great value for money overall.

Room Tip: Call the hotel and discuss what sort of room you would like - they are really helpful. Some are in t...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed yourselves and that the team looked after you so well.
I was also glad to read that we delivered value for money for your visit to us. The Terrace is spectacular; especially if you get the weather to be able to dine outside.

Thank you for taking the time to review us and we hope to welcome you back to us soon.

Andrew and the Team
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We had our wedding here. We had never visited here before and did not know what to expect. In some ways we took a slight gamble, and dragged 20 members of our family here hoping that it would be everything the internet promised it would be. It was.

It was an incredible day, the level of service was faultless, and the setting is breathtaking. The staff made us feel very welcome and comfortable throughout. The food was generally superb, with the starters and the puddings especially delicious.

If there was a possible area of improvement, it would maybe be in the vegetarian selection, although the gnocchi is as good as I have had.

Otherwise our wedding and all too brief honeymoon was perfect. Thanks to Greg, the wedding planner, who ensured the event ran without any hiccups whatsoever.

Room Tip: The Miss Potter suite has an incredible view out over Lake Windermere towards the fells, and a priva...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your very kind review and we are so delighted that you enjoyed your wedding.We enjoyed having you with us. I have passed on your constructive comments to our kitchen brigade and Greg is over the moon to be mentioned on TripAdvisor!

Once again, thank you for taking the time to review us and we all look forward to welcoming you back to Holbeck Ghyll soon.

Kent, UK
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband and I stayed for two nights at Holbeck Ghyll in Room 9, a Fell View room.

Positives:
- Excellent food at all times, from sandwiches / scones in the lounge, to breakfast, to the tasting menu evening meal.
- Good sized room with modern bathroom.
- Views from the dining room & lounges are beautiful.
- Service was professional and on the ball at all times. We were never left wanting for anything.
- The sommelier was particularly charming and interesting to chat to during dinner.
- Location – Just a short walk through a little wood and a field (with sheep/lambs and bunnies) down to the lake, with a couple of dining options if needed.

Areas for improvement:
- Both lounges feel quite formal and stuffy. We appreciate somewhere to relax with papers / laptops and these didn’t hit the mark.
- Although the small spa is well presented with lovely facilities, my treatment was quite poor. I wasn’t even asked what kind of pressure I like for a massage and it was very, very light, so as to hardly be worthwhile.
- A more overt offer of help with luggage would have been appreciated (we felt we had to ask).

Overall an enjoyable stay. Not entirely convinced on the value for money, but I expect the proximity to and views over the lake command the premium.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comprehensive review. We have taken on board all your constructive suggestions and we always look hard at areas where we can improve. I was also delighted to read the areas that you enjoyed so much. Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel soon and you will be able to experience all the improvements first hand.

Andrew and the Team.