“All in all a good experience”

Holbeck Ghyll Country House
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Reviewed 2 February 2011

We stayed here for 1 night to experience the food whilst in the area. The location of the hotel is wonderful with great views over the lake. The outside and downstairs of the hotel were well maintained, the public areas warm and enviting with open fires, however we didn't find our room in the main house (The Tower room) as inspired, due to a massive gap (some 8 inches) between the bed and the headboard, meaning you couldn't sit up in bed and involved waking regularly through out the night having lost the pillows through the gap! The small touches at the hotel went a long way to make up for this however, including complimentary damson gin, turn down service with hot water bottle - unecessay, but a sweet addage, and ample supplies of fresh towels. Dinner in the restaurant was very good, all be it a little starchy due to the close proximity to other diners, making the atmosphere a little reserved. The food was very good especially an amuse bouche of langoustine and lentils soup which was just to die for! There was a good selection of vegitarian food, however having chosen a jerusalem artichoke and cep risotto I was pretty surprised to have it served with asparagus.... which maybe seasonal in Peru, but not chilly windermere!!! My husband raved over the venison and I raved over a surprisingly good wine list for a hotel of this size which had some pleasent mid range bottles and reasonal bin ends. Service was good if a little 'in your face' at times.
All in all a good experience and would go back.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
HGB1, General Manager at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2011

Dear LewDolly,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us and would like to come back. Thank you for your comments regarding the bed in the Tower Room. I have discussed your comments with my Head Housekeeper who is now looking into solving the problem.

Thank you for taking the time to review Holbeck Ghyll. It is only through listening to comments from our customers that we can continue to improve.

We hope to welcome you again soon.

GENERAL MANAGER

Write a ReviewReviews (1,256)

Reviewed 1 February 2011

We usually breeze through Windermere and head for the North Lakes but decided to stay at Holbeck after a friend had called in for afternoon tea and told us what a beautiful hotel it was. We weren't disappointed. The place is special and set in a wonderful location. The staff are discreetly attentive and good humoured. We stayed in Madison House which was very comfortable and where the log fire was lit each afternoon. The hot tub on the terrace was another feature which we enjoyed along with some relaxing treatments at the Spa. The meal we ate in the evening was absolutely delicious- the restaurant certainly deserves its Michelin star. The experience we had at Holbeck was simply the best. I'm looking forward to the next time we deserve a treat-that'll be July!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank SHE001
Reviewed 27 January 2011

Just returned after two amazing days at Holbeck. I could go on and on about how fantastic this hotel is. About how spectacular the views are, especially from our cottage (we were upgraded on arrival). About how fantastic the food is, especially the gourmet menu. About how stunning the wine is (great sommelier). About how extremely friendly and attentive the service is and how the location will leave you speechless, but I won't. I wouldn't want to spoil it for you. All I will say is...THIS PLACE IS A 'MUST DO'! Book it and you will not regret it. We are definitely going back in the summer so we can enjoy the view from the restaurant till late evening. And the spa is pretty special as well.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stato08
HGB1, Guest Relations at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2011

Dear stato08,

Thank you for writing such a glowing review about your experience at Holbeck Ghyll. We’re delighted that you enjoyed it so much, and that you so highly recommend us to others.

We hope to welcome you again soon.

With kind regards,

Hannah Britton

Reviewed 19 January 2011

I feel slightly mean to be giving Holbeck Ghyll less than a 100% review but if a review is to have any value it needs to be honest.
Lets be clear, Holbeck Ghyll is a beautiful hotel in a beautiful location but I came away with the feeling that somewhere along the line it had lost its soul. This is particularly evident in the restaurant where reasonably good food and wine is delivered rather than served.

It would be fair to say that I am being picky, but at over £300 per night I think I am entitled to be picky and others do it better for less.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
HGB1, General Manager at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2011

Dear OPC1D,

Thank you for your comments, which I have discussed at length with my management team.

We hope to welcome you to Holbeck Ghyll again soon.

Reviewed 16 January 2011

Booked the Xmas 4 night package plus an extra night. Was a little apprehensive about spending Xmas at a hotel, thinking it might be a little "institutionalised" but I'm happy to say I need not have worried. The staff were welcoming and professional yet also managing to achieve a very relaxed atmosphere.The food and service were first class and I must echo the comments made by others praising in particular the wine sommelier and the receptionist who came out into the snow to show us our room and help with the luggage. We stayed in one of the lodge rooms, seperate to the main hotel building. Clean and spacious with lovely views of Lake Windermere. Top marks also to the snow clearing department for keeping the driveway accessible and to the member of staff who went round cleaning guests' cars.

Several of our fellow guests were annual visitors to Holbeck Ghyll for Xmas - I think that probably speaks volumes for the standards this hotel achieves.

Negatives - although the hotel is dog-friendly (dog blankets/biscuit bones etc), a charge of £20 per night is, I think, excessive. £20 per visit is acceptable, since the room only has to be "dog treated" at the end of a stay. And be careful of booking a stay here as a surprise for your partner - they have a computerised mailing system which sends out newsletters (with Holbeck Ghyll's name prominent on the envelope) as soon as they have your address

Dear Miketynlon,

All the staff really enjoyed looking after you over the Christmas period and are delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

As the owner of a 6 month old Golden Retriever I fully understand and appreciate your comments regarding the dog charge. However, once a dog has stayed in a room at Holbeck Ghyll the room is dry cleaned removing all traces of the dog’s stay. This level of cleaning incurs quite a cost. In regards to the mailing please accept my apologies if any suprise was spoiled.

We hope to welcome you to Holbeck Ghyll again soon.

Reviewed 14 January 2011

My wife and I have a young family, we were given the opportunity to dash for a night away. The Hotel’s location is fantastic, easy to access from the main through roads. We stayed in the Harry Potter Suite. Wonderful room, great views. The room had a hot tub on the balcony, we decided to use it. However it is not very private. As you use the patio doors from the bedroom you have a conscious dash into the tub as the properties at the rear have full view. The grounds staff were power washing cars and vans in the turning area not far from wall where the hot tub is located. Also if you use the dressing gowns, no hook is provided on the wall to hang them outside next to the hot tub. Signs are posted stating no glasses permitted in the tub, but no plastic ones are available.
The food was amazing, service was wonderful. I would strongly recommend taking afternoon tea and coffee sat buy the log fire in the lounge. The cost was very high, so be prepared if you drink wine and like the finer things in life. I would recommend this hotel and would return again in a heartbeat, my niggle was the lack of privacy, noise from the contractors and ground staff.

Dear wattsmark,

Thank you for taking the time to review Holbeck Ghyll on Trip Advisor. We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your room, the views and the food whilst staying with us. Thank you for your comments regarding lack of privacy and noise. I have spoken with my ground staff and contractors to ensure that this problem does not reoccur, and they join me in sending our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

We hope to welcome you back to Holbeck Ghyll in the future.

With all best wishes,

Reviewed 5 January 2011

I have stayed in a number of great hotels, including Hotels of the world, Handpicked and a number from the Good Hotel guide but this surpassed them all. I must admit it was our honeymoon but most of the staff didn't know that and yet we were treated as if we were their honoured guests!

Right from arrival, the receptionist walked up the short hill (about 50 yards or so) to show us to the "Lodge". We had booked the "Miss Tiggywinkle" room which is shown on their website with the spiral staircase in the middle. The room was indeed unique and beautiful. The bed was comfy and the room large. There were 2 seating areas downstairs, both with 2 comfy chairs and a coffee table with large picture windows. From here you have an amazing unobstructed view of Windermere (as you do in all 6 of their lodge rooms and the Miss Potter Suite). There is also a desk, another chair and a large Flatscreen TV. Nearer the door at the entrance is a large wardrobe (big enough for all your clothes for a weeks stay) and a fridge with minibar, topped up with fresh milk daily for you to enjoy a cuppa.

Upstairs has a sofa/bed with a small bed underneath so maybe in future years I will visit with my children who would love sleeping up there. It has a small Dormer window, but is really a cosy nook. There is also a second smaller flatscreen TV.

The bathroom is large and has a separate Jacuzzi bath and very powerful shower. The towels big and fluffy and some lovely shampoo, conditioner, bath salts, shower cap, cotton buds, nail files, cotton wool pads etc.

The hotel building is a typical country house with oak floors, 2 lounges and a restaurant. When you arrive someone meets you and takes your coat for you. We're not too used to that so we would hang it up ourselves in the end, but that's because of the type of people we are.

The food in the restaurant is exceptional (as you would expect from any Michelin Star restaurant). The dinners we had there (and we ate there 5 of the 7 nights) were beautiful. The menu changes daily and each course we had was stunning. I enjoy trying new things and found everything lovely to taste (including a rabbit starter that I'd never tried before). My wife has a less varied pallette so enjoyed the lamb, beef, salmon and other "more normal" things which were some of the best she'd every tasted.

Breakfast was fabulous, with your choice of whatever you want really. My wife really enjoyed the Gravalax (salmon in herbs) with eggs and sausages. Personally I have never tasted scrambled eggs like it and didn't know they could taste like they did!

We ate in our room for breakfast twice and in the evening once. The service was swift, friendly and efficient and food hot and just as good as the restaurant. The evening menu is slightly limiting compared to the main menu in the restaurant but I was told by staff that they could do most things off the main menu and send them over if you so desire.

One afternoon we watched the sunset over windermere from one of the comfy lounges with their high tea. Tea, hot chocolate (which was unique with a cube of chocolate on a stick dipped in hot milk - just beautiful and fun), beautiful sandwiches and homemade scones and cakes. An afternoon to remember.

So the hotel, room, views and food can't fail to impress but it is the staff where this hotel really excels. They are friendly, unobtrusive, professional and courteous at all times. No request seems too difficult for them. Places like the Holbeck Ghyll can be a bit "stuffy" with yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir. If you want to be stuffy then they recognise it and will serve you how you want to be. We, however, were there for a week and wanted to relax. They immediately recognised it and we chatted with the staff about their day, their children and they did the same in return. They also remember what you liked and how you liked it done so would say "medium rare then?". I also loved the way we never saw a cleaner yet the room was cleaned what seemed like twice a day. When we went out or to the restaurant, the cleaner went in. The turn down service was done when we were at the restaurant in the evening, not before or after with the towels changed yet again if we needed it and the room tidied up for us. Unbelievable!

What more can I say but thanks to everyone there for making it the most outstanding hotel I have ever stayed in and that we cannot wait to go back! You all truly deserve this great review!

1  Thank pauldarken
HGB1, General Manager at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2011

Dear pauldarken,

What a wonderful review – thank you! You were a pleasure to look after and we hope you return soon. On your next stay please accept my offer of a complimentary upgrade. Also, if you would like to keep up to date with the news at Holbeck Ghyll then please follow us on Facebook.

Once again thank you for writing a lovely review and we hope to welcome you again soon.