We stayed here for 1 night to experience the food whilst in the area. The location of the hotel is wonderful with great views over the lake. The outside and downstairs of the hotel were well maintained, the public areas warm and enviting with open fires, however we didn't find our room in the main house (The Tower room) as inspired, due to a massive gap (some 8 inches) between the bed and the headboard, meaning you couldn't sit up in bed and involved waking regularly through out the night having lost the pillows through the gap! The small touches at the hotel went a long way to make up for this however, including complimentary damson gin, turn down service with hot water bottle - unecessay, but a sweet addage, and ample supplies of fresh towels. Dinner in the restaurant was very good, all be it a little starchy due to the close proximity to other diners, making the atmosphere a little reserved. The food was very good especially an amuse bouche of langoustine and lentils soup which was just to die for! There was a good selection of vegitarian food, however having chosen a jerusalem artichoke and cep risotto I was pretty surprised to have it served with asparagus.... which maybe seasonal in Peru, but not chilly windermere!!! My husband raved over the venison and I raved over a surprisingly good wine list for a hotel of this size which had some pleasent mid range bottles and reasonal bin ends. Service was good if a little 'in your face' at times.
All in all a good experience and would go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This luxurious country house hotel is set in eighteen acres of private woodland and gardens, in England's picturesque Lake District. Holbeck Ghyll offers 23 individually designed en-suite rooms, most with spectacular views over Lake Windermere. The Health Spa offers a range of treatments, sauna, steam room. Food is an integral part of any guests stay, and the Restaurant, which retained a Michelin Star for 14 consecutive years, will not disappoint. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd and Ebookers so you can book your Holbeck Ghyll Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holbeck Ghyll Country House Hotel Windermere
- Holbeck Ghyll Country Hotel
- Holbeck Ghyll Country Windermere
- Holbeck Ghyll Country House Windermere, Lake District