Holbeck Ghyll was originally a hunting box of Lord Lonsdale (the yellow earl and creator of the Lonsdale belt for boxing). If it was not designed by the architect Charles Rennie Macintosh then it must have been by one of his disciples. From the moment you walk through the door, stained glass, ornate door finger plates, wood carvings and piercings on the stair banister greet you. Watch out for the original bell pushes and electric wall sockets with two tiny holes for the plugs. The attention to detail reflects Macintosh's total design philosophy of not only creating the architecture of a building but also the internal detail.
And attention to detail is still a watchword at Holbeck Ghyll. The hotel is being upgraded under the direction of its new-ish manager Andrew McPherson (late of Swinton Park in Yorkshire). Michelin star chef David McLauchlin and his brigade are on song with modern but not way out cooking. The restaurant staff under food and beverage manager Daniel Jonberger are unobtrusively attentive. Daniel (who is part swedish but has perfect english) quaintly addresses all women as My Lady.
The views from the two lounges and the restaurant over Lake Windermere in all weathers are stunning.
Room 20, the tower room, has a jacuzzi type double ended bath - perfect for the start of a romantic evening. The hotel has 25 bedrooms some in the main house and others nearby in the grounds. The hotel also boasts a spa
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This luxurious country house hotel is set in eighteen acres of private woodland and gardens, in England's picturesque Lake District. Holbeck Ghyll offers 23 individually designed en-suite rooms, most with spectacular views over Lake Windermere. The Health Spa offers a range of treatments, sauna, steam room. Food is an integral part of any guests stay, and the Restaurant, which retained a Michelin Star for 14 consecutive years, will not disappoint. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Evoline ltd, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your Holbeck Ghyll Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holbeck Ghyll Country House Hotel Windermere
- Holbeck Ghyll Country Hotel
- Holbeck Ghyll Country Windermere
- Holbeck Ghyll Country House Windermere, Lake District