“A quintissential country house hotel”

Holbeck Ghyll Country House
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Reviewed 9 February 2011

Holbeck Ghyll was originally a hunting box of Lord Lonsdale (the yellow earl and creator of the Lonsdale belt for boxing). If it was not designed by the architect Charles Rennie Macintosh then it must have been by one of his disciples. From the moment you walk through the door, stained glass, ornate door finger plates, wood carvings and piercings on the stair banister greet you. Watch out for the original bell pushes and electric wall sockets with two tiny holes for the plugs. The attention to detail reflects Macintosh's total design philosophy of not only creating the architecture of a building but also the internal detail.
And attention to detail is still a watchword at Holbeck Ghyll. The hotel is being upgraded under the direction of its new-ish manager Andrew McPherson (late of Swinton Park in Yorkshire). Michelin star chef David McLauchlin and his brigade are on song with modern but not way out cooking. The restaurant staff under food and beverage manager Daniel Jonberger are unobtrusively attentive. Daniel (who is part swedish but has perfect english) quaintly addresses all women as My Lady.
The views from the two lounges and the restaurant over Lake Windermere in all weathers are stunning.
Room 20, the tower room, has a jacuzzi type double ended bath - perfect for the start of a romantic evening. The hotel has 25 bedrooms some in the main house and others nearby in the grounds. The hotel also boasts a spa

1  Thank raeside_auld
HGB1, Guest Relations at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2011

Dear Mr Raeside Auld,

Thank you for your lovely and detailed review of Holbeck Ghyll. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that we can welcome you again soon.

With kind regards,

Hannah Britton

Write a ReviewReviews (1,255)

Reviewed 3 February 2011

This stay was my Christmas present for my husband. The hotel is wonderful, the Miss Potter Suite was a beautiful room and the meal in the restaurant was truly fantastic...... but to leave us in the dining room in the morning surrounded by dirty plates on other tables and to forget our breakfast was unforgivable. Yes we were refunded the cost of the breakfast but no management apology - not what I expected from a hotel of this standard. We were disappointed.

2  Thank MrsTPoultonLeFylde
HGB1, General Manager at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2011

Dear MrsTPoultonLeFylde,

I was disappointed to read your comments about breakfast. This is unacceptable and I have talked at length with my management team who join me in sending our apologies. I was however heartened to read that you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us. I do hope that your poor breakfast experience has not put you off from returning.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 2 February 2011

We stayed here for 1 night to experience the food whilst in the area. The location of the hotel is wonderful with great views over the lake. The outside and downstairs of the hotel were well maintained, the public areas warm and enviting with open fires, however we didn't find our room in the main house (The Tower room) as inspired, due to a massive gap (some 8 inches) between the bed and the headboard, meaning you couldn't sit up in bed and involved waking regularly through out the night having lost the pillows through the gap! The small touches at the hotel went a long way to make up for this however, including complimentary damson gin, turn down service with hot water bottle - unecessay, but a sweet addage, and ample supplies of fresh towels. Dinner in the restaurant was very good, all be it a little starchy due to the close proximity to other diners, making the atmosphere a little reserved. The food was very good especially an amuse bouche of langoustine and lentils soup which was just to die for! There was a good selection of vegitarian food, however having chosen a jerusalem artichoke and cep risotto I was pretty surprised to have it served with asparagus.... which maybe seasonal in Peru, but not chilly windermere!!! My husband raved over the venison and I raved over a surprisingly good wine list for a hotel of this size which had some pleasent mid range bottles and reasonal bin ends. Service was good if a little 'in your face' at times.
All in all a good experience and would go back.

Dear LewDolly,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us and would like to come back. Thank you for your comments regarding the bed in the Tower Room. I have discussed your comments with my Head Housekeeper who is now looking into solving the problem.

Thank you for taking the time to review Holbeck Ghyll. It is only through listening to comments from our customers that we can continue to improve.

We hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 1 February 2011

We usually breeze through Windermere and head for the North Lakes but decided to stay at Holbeck after a friend had called in for afternoon tea and told us what a beautiful hotel it was. We weren't disappointed. The place is special and set in a wonderful location. The staff are discreetly attentive and good humoured. We stayed in Madison House which was very comfortable and where the log fire was lit each afternoon. The hot tub on the terrace was another feature which we enjoyed along with some relaxing treatments at the Spa. The meal we ate in the evening was absolutely delicious- the restaurant certainly deserves its Michelin star. The experience we had at Holbeck was simply the best. I'm looking forward to the next time we deserve a treat-that'll be July!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank SHE001
Reviewed 27 January 2011

Just returned after two amazing days at Holbeck. I could go on and on about how fantastic this hotel is. About how spectacular the views are, especially from our cottage (we were upgraded on arrival). About how fantastic the food is, especially the gourmet menu. About how stunning the wine is (great sommelier). About how extremely friendly and attentive the service is and how the location will leave you speechless, but I won't. I wouldn't want to spoil it for you. All I will say is...THIS PLACE IS A 'MUST DO'! Book it and you will not regret it. We are definitely going back in the summer so we can enjoy the view from the restaurant till late evening. And the spa is pretty special as well.

1  Thank stato08
HGB1, Guest Relations at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2011

Dear stato08,

Thank you for writing such a glowing review about your experience at Holbeck Ghyll. We’re delighted that you enjoyed it so much, and that you so highly recommend us to others.

We hope to welcome you again soon.

With kind regards,

Hannah Britton

Reviewed 19 January 2011

I feel slightly mean to be giving Holbeck Ghyll less than a 100% review but if a review is to have any value it needs to be honest.
Lets be clear, Holbeck Ghyll is a beautiful hotel in a beautiful location but I came away with the feeling that somewhere along the line it had lost its soul. This is particularly evident in the restaurant where reasonably good food and wine is delivered rather than served.

It would be fair to say that I am being picky, but at over £300 per night I think I am entitled to be picky and others do it better for less.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
HGB1, General Manager at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2011

Dear OPC1D,

Thank you for your comments, which I have discussed at length with my management team.

We hope to welcome you to Holbeck Ghyll again soon.

Reviewed 16 January 2011

Booked the Xmas 4 night package plus an extra night. Was a little apprehensive about spending Xmas at a hotel, thinking it might be a little "institutionalised" but I'm happy to say I need not have worried. The staff were welcoming and professional yet also managing to achieve a very relaxed atmosphere.The food and service were first class and I must echo the comments made by others praising in particular the wine sommelier and the receptionist who came out into the snow to show us our room and help with the luggage. We stayed in one of the lodge rooms, seperate to the main hotel building. Clean and spacious with lovely views of Lake Windermere. Top marks also to the snow clearing department for keeping the driveway accessible and to the member of staff who went round cleaning guests' cars.

Several of our fellow guests were annual visitors to Holbeck Ghyll for Xmas - I think that probably speaks volumes for the standards this hotel achieves.

Negatives - although the hotel is dog-friendly (dog blankets/biscuit bones etc), a charge of £20 per night is, I think, excessive. £20 per visit is acceptable, since the room only has to be "dog treated" at the end of a stay. And be careful of booking a stay here as a surprise for your partner - they have a computerised mailing system which sends out newsletters (with Holbeck Ghyll's name prominent on the envelope) as soon as they have your address

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Miketynlon,

All the staff really enjoyed looking after you over the Christmas period and are delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

As the owner of a 6 month old Golden Retriever I fully understand and appreciate your comments regarding the dog charge. However, once a dog has stayed in a room at Holbeck Ghyll the room is dry cleaned removing all traces of the dog’s stay. This level of cleaning incurs quite a cost. In regards to the mailing please accept my apologies if any suprise was spoiled.

We hope to welcome you to Holbeck Ghyll again soon.