“ENJOYABLE STAY”

Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Preston, Lancashire
“ENJOYABLE STAY”
Reviewed 5 February 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a four night stay at this clean and welcoming hotel. We travelled by train and received a great reception from the staff who quickly booked us in and explained about meal times etc. The room was on the first floor affording a view out to Lake Windermere and it was clean and well presented.(We hadnt booked a room with a view.) Meals were very good, with pleanty of choice. Though it was very cold outside the hotel was warm in the bedrooms and the public rooms. The staff were always ready to ensure that you were enjoying your stay and I can say, if you visit and have a problem, 'tell them', and they will rectify your problem. This hotel gives 'value for money'. Yes, there is a problem with seating space in the bar but work is in hand to build-on in the future. I think bar prices are a bit steep but we found similar in other bars in the Lake District during our stay. Local buses are just across the road and it is downhill to reach them. If you want to go down to the Lake by taxi it's £4 each way. An enjoyable stay. We will be coming back later in the year. Well done Windermere!!

Room Tip: Pay extra for a front room with a view
2 Thank TedBetty
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for such a great review. We are getting more and more guests travelling here by train and then using the bus or taxi’s when going out and about sight seeing.

It was nice to read the staff ensured you were looked after throughout your stay and your got value for your money.

It will be a pleasure welcoming you back later in the year.

Giles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
England
Reviewed 31 January 2012

We have just returnrd from a 3 night stay at this hotel, travelling by coach. My advice to anyone thinking of this is don't!! The hotel is at the top end of Windermere close by the railway/bus station. Every time you leave the hotel you are going up or down a hill. To the shops in Windermere it is about 5 minutes. to Bowness allow 20 going down and upwards of half an hour coming back up the hill.
The hotel itself is fine. You must bear in mind that it is a coaching hotel and therefore not the most modern.

Reception staff were pleasant and helpful. We arrived about 12.30 by coach and couldn't get into our rooms until 3pm.

Room. This hotel was built in the 1800s at the same time as the railway arriving. The floorboards in our room must be the origional given the noise they made every time we moved!! The beds were comfortable and the room was clean and tidy. The bathroom had all that you need with regard to toiletries. The TV felt that it was also installed in the 1800s. Digital does not seem to have caught up in Cumbria!! Tea, coffe, horlicks, biscuits etc replenished every day.

Eating. The restaurant was very nice. The staff there very efficient. The food fine for what we were paying.There was a fair selection on the menue and it was nicely presented. The food was always hot on arrival. No complaints at all.

Bar. The usual rip off for drinks. You are better going to one of the local pubs and getting a drink at a much lower price in a place with more atmosphere. Better still, nip over to Booths Supermarket across the road and get your own stash in your room!!

Entertainment. If you want to be entertained in the evening don't go here!! Only one night when there was a very mediocre vocalist on. If you are happy with your own company or want to chat with friends this is the place to go.

Conclusion. I would go back here but only by car so as not to be relient on either a trip out on the coach or the buses/trains. Give it a try and see what you think.

7 Thank Mrhilton
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Dear Reviewer

I am sorry you found the hotel location not to liking, however the majority of our guests even if they come by coach find being directly opposite the bus and trains ideal for exploring the Lake District. The hotel is situated at the top of Windermere which gives our front facing rooms their stunning scenic views of the Lake and the Langdale hills. The entertainment we provide is of a relaxed style, if you felt it should have been more perhaps you should next time try our Bay Hotels. I am surprised by your comments regarding the drinks being too expensive, I agree the local pubs are cheap but like for like hotel’s prices we are very competitive. I pleased you enjoyed our Restaurant service.

Thank you for your review and hope to see you again.

Kelso, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2012

My husband and I enjoyed a New Year break in Windermere where the hotel staff and food were superb. The evening entertainment was very good as was the cleanliness of the rooms. As with most hotels, there is a certain amount of refurbishment required in some bedrooms, but we understand there is a refurb programme in operation. We would not hesitate to visit this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room.
1 Thank 123Mojo
Dear Reviewer

And Happy New Year to you, thank you for your great review. I am pleased you celebrated this special occasion with us, by your comments the staff looked after you well and the Festive menus were enjoyed.

Hope you come and stay with us again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2012

The hotel is very impressive from the outside but I am afraid it ends there, our basic room (203) was always cold with drafty old windows,the heated towel rail had a mind of its own and was fitted about 10 inches from the toilet seat which made it dangerous when sitting even through it had a warning sticker it is far to close to the pan.small things like the tissue box in the toilet ran out after 2 of our 5 days and was never replaced,the shower unit was totally unpredictable hot, cold, fast, slow this room seriously needs updating.

Dining was laid out in three separate rooms and was acceptable for the price paid but unique to the Windermere the waiters could only take your order for one course at a time.

The bar area is totally inadequate for the size of the hotel and with guests on all inclusive packages is well supported if you are not seated by 7.30 the only place to sit is back in the restaurant.

5 Thank greendoor0
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2012
Dear Reviewer

I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations, but I am surprised you did not let me know you were unhappy with your room during your stay giving me the opportunity to put this right for you. By the many really positive trip advisor reviews regarding the Restaurant service I believe our system to be correct for the Windermere hotel. Our popular Inclusive breaks are busy so we do have to sometimes set part of the Restaurant to allow for extra seating, in addition to our Piano Lounge, Boardroom and the Television Lounge, if this was not adequate I can only apologise.

Southport, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2012

My girlfriend and I booked through shearings and anyone who reads all the other reviews should JUST believe this ONE.......
The staff could not do enough for you if you asked for something it was done quickly and without any fuss or delay.
The hotel was clean and the lounges and bar areas looked like they had been newly refurbished and decorated and the decor was crisp and clean.
I was asking my girlfriend to marry me and they arranged various things to make it special and the food was excellant no complaints.
The views were stunning of the lake and the location in respect of the station was brilliant.
You really need to see this for yourself.
I spend a lot of time in hotels due to my job and this is one of the BEST....

Room Tip: Superior rooms excellant
3 Thank John B
Dear Reviewer

Firstly congratulations again, I am so pleased that you and your now fiancé enjoyed this special occasion with us here at the Windermere Hotel. I must agree our 5 day half board package with drinks included from 7.30pm to 10.30pm is excellent especially when spent in such a stunning location. I know you thanked all the staff before you left but I will ensure all your kind works are put up on the staff notice board.

Please come back and stay for the Honeymoon !!!

I hope your new job is going well.

Cheers

Wolverhampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Just returned from a first class 5 day visit to The Windermere Hotel. The staff were of the highest quality,polite,obliging,smart and very industrious.The food was of an extremely high standard with an excellent choice.All served piping hot and with a smile.When we arrived the room was clean but the heating wasn't working properly.This was reported and within ten minutes the problem was fixed.The room and bathroom were a little worn around the edges.Overall the standard of service and quality of this hotel is far above the rating.
Four stars for you and a big thank you from us.
Room 227 and 225.
Excellent value for money.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Peter O
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review, we have so many positive trip advisor comments regarding the staff which I am so proud of, also it is great to read the problem with the heating was rectified quickly. Your comments regarding the room have been duly noted. I am glad that throughout the hotel we exceed your expectations.

Hope to see you again soon

Warrington
Reviewed 25 January 2012

My husband and I recently stayed for a short break on a very cold weekend in the Windermere Hotel in Windermere, Cumbria. We were made very welcome by the receptionist on arrival. Our room was very clean, comfortable and warm with en suite facilities and tea and coffee making facilities. It was lovely to return to a warm room and hot bath after a day's walking in the beautiful lake district. The breakfast menu was varied, freshly cooked and plentiful. The bus stop and train station are across the road so we left the car in the car park. This was our first stay in a Coast and Country Hotel and we are already planning our next break with the group.

Room Tip: We were in a corner room on the second floor in the annexe which was useful to access the car.
5 Thank Anthony M
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for the fabulous review, I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and enjoyed the benefits of the recent Coast and Country Offers. It’s also great to know that you enjoyed the restaurant at breakfast and dinner. It will be a pleasure welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future for another enjoyable break in the beautiful Lake District.