The Howbeck(Windermere)
US$242
US$147
US$133
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$159/night.

The Willowsmere(Windermere)
  • Free Breakfast
US$223
US$198
Official Site
All reviewsself driveshearings hotelsshearings holidaypremier roomcoast countrymeal timesbooths supermarketlake districtevening meallounge barreception stafforrest headsingle roomweekend breakthe general managerpublic roomsmy wife and i have just
Reviewed 19 March 2012

on arrival 06/03/12 we were very surprised to find this was a very old quaint building,we entered the reception and greeted by reception staff.The bedroom we booked was the standard room which was a bit small but comfy.During our 4 day break on half board we found our meals very good value well cooked and well presented,the staff in the restaurant were very helpful during meals and we could not find any fault whatsoever during our stay.

Room Tip: For the little bit extra money go for the superior room which gives a lot more comfort.
2  Thank barryvs
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2012

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your very complimentary review and your comments are an inspiration to everyone who works here at The Windermere Hotel, I will proudly pass on your comments to the team. I hope that our good food and friendly staff will persuade you to come back and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 16 March 2012

We decided to go to the Windermere Hotel for a couple of nights just for a little break. As we walked into reception at 2pm the assistant manager kept going on about the room not being ready till 3pm, we were fine with that. So we went out for some lunch and came back at 14:55 and my wife said “I know it’s only 5 to 3 but is the room ready?” Then the assistant manager was quite abrupt going on how it’s not ready yet and it won’t be ready for a while. When we finally got into our room it was a bit old fashioned but that didn’t bother us too much as we were only sleeping in there.

The Friday evening for dinner my wife ordered the chicken and mash and I ordered the Roast Beef with mash, and when I asked the waiter if it had any peanuts in he just said “I don’t speak English” So I pointed at the menu where it says “If you have any nut allergies please ask a member of staff” He walked off and comes back with a gluten free menu. I asked him to get somebody else who spoke English and he did. So when my meal came I found the beef was really dry. My wife’s chicken was ok but not the best. I ordered sticky toffee pudding for desert and it was quite a small portion with hardly any sauce, but it was very nice, well it should be because it was bought in LOL. My wife got some lemon thing that she did not like.

After going out all day Saturday we got back to our room to find that the door was slightly open. When we told reception all they said was thanks for telling us.

That evening we waited 30 minutes after finishing our starters before the waiter came and asked us what we wanted for our mains. I got lamb and mash and that was actually really nice, my wife ordered fish and that was really dry. And I had to ask the waiter 3 times for a jug of water. I also got the sticky toffee pudding a gain for desert and asked him if instead of ice cream if I could have a bigger portion, he said that he can’t do that but he said he could give me some extra sauce. Well that was a lie if I have ever heard one. Then they had a female singer trying to sing some songs which were some of my favourite songs until I heard her ruin them.

The next morning for breakfast I had an English breakfast and all I got was one slice of bacon, a horrible hash brown and something that was supposed to be a sausage.

Would I come here again................no!

2  Thank Quatie
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2012

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for most detailed review, which by your comments we did not meet your expectations for which I apologise. However I was very surprised to read about the service you received in our Restaurant, this is because of the amount of praise the staff and food get on the majority of our Tripadvisor reviews.

Due to the high numbers of people checking out and to ensure the housekeeping team have enough time to service all rooms to the required standards we have to keep to the 3pm check-in time, which is stated in all of our correspondence to guests when booking with Coast and Country Hotels, but again I apologise if this caused you any inconvenience.

Reviewed 14 March 2012

We booked a Superior Room very spacious but obviously a listed building has single glazed and jammed closed this is obviously not the managements fault and although it was dissapointing at first we still enjoyed the weekend.
When the manager is on site you will not have any problems as he is very professional and exceptional, some of the staff do not understand English but hey this is the hospitality world in general in present times. I would happy to stay again.

2  Thank tomt1230

Dear Reviewer

I am glad you found our Superior room spacious and that the jammed window did not stop you enjoying your weekend stay with us.

Thank you for very much for your kind comments about me and please come back to see us again soon.

Reviewed 4 March 2012

Just got back Friday after a five day break with Shearings, and as my future father in law would say(yes I was the one dancing with him) just perfect, rooms good food excellent,staff fantastic especially Jack,good location,it was that good I have booked to go back in April for a week with my daughter.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank darbon

Dear Reviewer
Perfect is high praise indeed, I am so pleased that our youngest waiter Jack got a special mention and the biggest compliment, you have already booked to stay with us again in April with your daughter.

See you soon

Reviewed 3 March 2012

We stayed at this Hotel last week.We went on a shearings holiday (a present for my husbands 65th birthday)We enjoyed every minute of it,the room was good and the food was excellent.I have to have a Gluten Free Menue and there was a Gluten free menue waiting for me every evening meal ,with something different every night.The Manager and the staff were very good,helpfull and pleasant. We look forward to going again.Thank you all so much.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank veron599

Dear Reviewer

It’s great to read that we played a part in your husband’s 65th Birthday celebrations and that you enjoyed the choice on our Gluten Free menu we provided for you throughout your stay. I am also very pleased that you felt we looked after you on this special occasion and you would come back and stay with us again.