“first and last visit!”

Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
cambridge
“first and last visit!”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

on arrival, we were checked in by the manager in a really pleasant reception and walked through a recently refurbished restaurant to our room. On leaving the restaurant and entering the corridor to the bedrooms on the ground floor, we were shocked by how cold it was. It was preparation for the shocking state of room 21. Not only was it freezing cold in there because the heating wasn't even on, but there was peeling wall paper and black mould and damp patches on the walls and under the window. Even the window frames had mould and dirt on them as did the curtains. We did ask for the heating to be switched on and went out for a walk. On return, we found a portable electric heater had been left in the room. Unfortunately, it had the output of an asthmatic mouse! The bathroom was equally a shocker - cracked bath panel, toilet flush buttons that come out of the cistern, a constantly dripping tap, toilet roll holder coming off the wall and rust running down the tiles from the hand rail. What is particularly disappointing is that the damp and mould issues were brought to the manager's attention in August last year and nothing has been done about it. Many other guests complained about the cold. There is no excuse for it. On the day of departure, we were told to have our luggage in reception by 7 a.m, so had to get up early. There was no hot water for a shower and still none at 8.30 just before departure. Appalling.
On the positive side, the restaurant staff and the quality of food served were all excellent.
This was our first and last visit to the Windermere and it really doesn't sell the UK as a viable holiday destination.

Room Tip: don't bother - it's freezing!!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank neil u
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Dear Reviewer

I have checked out room 21 with my Housekeeper and we have drawn up an action plan to address any issues, this fell under the radar and it is fair comment to be a little disappointed in what I saw for which truly apologise. However, I wish you could have brought your concerns to my attention during your stay and I am sure we both would have had a better result than letting me know through trip advisor. As for last August issues I can assure you all reported problems are dealt with, but sometimes others appear. Thank you for your very positive comments regarding the food and service you received in our Restaurant.

Should you wish to try us again get in touch and I will personally ensure there will not be a repeat performance.

Giles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
  • Arabic first
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Booked via the Shearing’s web-site, a 3 night weekend break.

“Faded Elegance” is the usual description for hotels of this era, but the décor was bright and fresh in all of the public areas. The room was a bit small, but comfortable and adequate. A full size bath tub would have been nice, but the shower worked well. The room window is adjacent to some sort of equipment, I think it may be a kitchen extract fan, which runs for part of the day. It is not overly loud, but you will be aware of it, and I could have done without it at 7.00 am on a Sunday. (Room 109).

The lack of any credit card facilities might be a nuisance to some customers, but several banks and their ATMs are only a few minutes walk away.

One glaring omission was the lack of a security device on the room door, (e.g. a chain or similar) Women, who are on their own, might prefer to see such a facility, or am I spending too much time in the USA?

The staff, (like most hotels, are a mix of young East Europeans, or similar, and British), they are all very friendly and helpful. The hotel does not appear, (unlike most others), to be understaffed.

Food was good, especially the breakfast. Very good service in the dining room.

Compares favourably with the other 3 Shearings/Coast & Country UK hotels I have stayed at in recent years. An easy few minutes walk to the town centre shops, and, an excellent tourist information centre is just across the road. There is an endless confection of outdoor activities and attractions available in the area.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank MunroBill
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your very descriptive review and for writing so many positive comments about the Windermere Hotel and the local amenities.

I just want to reassure you that our bedroom door security is always a high priority, however we must always allow access in case of emergency, especially when guests travel alone.

As you know we did have problem with our card payment machine over that weekend, which I agree was a bit of a nuisance, we are now back on line!!.

Sorry if this caused you any inconvenience.

Hope you come to stay with us again soon.

Halifax, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2012

this was our 1st time, we were greeted by james on reception who was excellent, helpful, smiley and chatty, but we could not say that about any other member of staff we saw if you gave them eye contact they looked away, our first nights dinner was very poor, but thaknfully sats was excellent.!! thku we will return

2 Thank Mandy M
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your mixed review, I was surprised to read that James was the only member of staff you found helpful as we at the Windermere Hotel are proud of the many complimentary trip advisor reviews we have received which mention the helpfulness and friendliness of our staff, however I must apologise if this was not case.I was pleased that overall you enjoyed your “long weekend” meals and it makes me happy that you will return.

Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2012

my sister-in-law and I had a good weekend break at the Windermere Hotel. Food and service very good. We were on a Shearings break, but we made out own way there, as we live in Lancashire. We were in single rooms 40 and 42, we paid extra for this, (although what they could have done with the rooms otherwise I don't know!!) My room (40), needs a little TLC, bathroom door did not close, wallpaper marked etc etc and odd shaped room. The view was of a coach (Shearings!!)
Excellent location and staff good.
Would stay again, but check room first.

Room Tip: not in the extension where 40 was.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank patmason24
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to write your review I’m pleased that you and your sister-in-law enjoyed your weekend with us at the Windermere Hotel, I agree the hotel is in an excellent location.

Coast and Country Hotels do charge supplements on single rooms and here we also have scenic view supplements, but not the ground floor rooms you stayed in, and I can only apologise if your rooms did not meet your expectations.

I am so glad you found the food and the service you received to be very good.

Hope you stay with us again soon.

Milton Keynes
Reviewed 19 March 2012

on arrival 06/03/12 we were very surprised to find this was a very old quaint building,we entered the reception and greeted by reception staff.The bedroom we booked was the standard room which was a bit small but comfy.During our 4 day break on half board we found our meals very good value well cooked and well presented,the staff in the restaurant were very helpful during meals and we could not find any fault whatsoever during our stay.

Room Tip: For the little bit extra money go for the superior room which gives a lot more comfort.
2 Thank barryvs
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your very complimentary review and your comments are an inspiration to everyone who works here at The Windermere Hotel, I will proudly pass on your comments to the team. I hope that our good food and friendly staff will persuade you to come back and stay with us again soon.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We decided to go to the Windermere Hotel for a couple of nights just for a little break. As we walked into reception at 2pm the assistant manager kept going on about the room not being ready till 3pm, we were fine with that. So we went out for some lunch and came back at 14:55 and my wife said “I know it’s only 5 to 3 but is the room ready?” Then the assistant manager was quite abrupt going on how it’s not ready yet and it won’t be ready for a while. When we finally got into our room it was a bit old fashioned but that didn’t bother us too much as we were only sleeping in there.

The Friday evening for dinner my wife ordered the chicken and mash and I ordered the Roast Beef with mash, and when I asked the waiter if it had any peanuts in he just said “I don’t speak English” So I pointed at the menu where it says “If you have any nut allergies please ask a member of staff” He walked off and comes back with a gluten free menu. I asked him to get somebody else who spoke English and he did. So when my meal came I found the beef was really dry. My wife’s chicken was ok but not the best. I ordered sticky toffee pudding for desert and it was quite a small portion with hardly any sauce, but it was very nice, well it should be because it was bought in LOL. My wife got some lemon thing that she did not like.

After going out all day Saturday we got back to our room to find that the door was slightly open. When we told reception all they said was thanks for telling us.

That evening we waited 30 minutes after finishing our starters before the waiter came and asked us what we wanted for our mains. I got lamb and mash and that was actually really nice, my wife ordered fish and that was really dry. And I had to ask the waiter 3 times for a jug of water. I also got the sticky toffee pudding a gain for desert and asked him if instead of ice cream if I could have a bigger portion, he said that he can’t do that but he said he could give me some extra sauce. Well that was a lie if I have ever heard one. Then they had a female singer trying to sing some songs which were some of my favourite songs until I heard her ruin them.

The next morning for breakfast I had an English breakfast and all I got was one slice of bacon, a horrible hash brown and something that was supposed to be a sausage.

Would I come here again................no!

2 Thank Quatie
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for most detailed review, which by your comments we did not meet your expectations for which I apologise. However I was very surprised to read about the service you received in our Restaurant, this is because of the amount of praise the staff and food get on the majority of our Tripadvisor reviews.

Due to the high numbers of people checking out and to ensure the housekeeping team have enough time to service all rooms to the required standards we have to keep to the 3pm check-in time, which is stated in all of our correspondence to guests when booking with Coast and Country Hotels, but again I apologise if this caused you any inconvenience.

Haydock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2012

We booked a Superior Room very spacious but obviously a listed building has single glazed and jammed closed this is obviously not the managements fault and although it was dissapointing at first we still enjoyed the weekend.
When the manager is on site you will not have any problems as he is very professional and exceptional, some of the staff do not understand English but hey this is the hospitality world in general in present times. I would happy to stay again.

2 Thank tomt1230
Dear Reviewer

I am glad you found our Superior room spacious and that the jammed window did not stop you enjoying your weekend stay with us.

Thank you for very much for your kind comments about me and please come back to see us again soon.