The Windermere Hotel
US$220
US$189
Official Site
US$369
All reviewsself driveshearings hotelsshearings holidaypremier roomcoast countrymeal timeslake districtevening meallounge barreception staffweekend breakthe general managersingle roomorrest headthe ground floorpublic roomsthree courses
Reviewed 9 April 2012

My daughter and I visited this hotel again 30-31st March. We booked into a superior room with a cot. It was large and airy. When we went down into the restaurant the manageress remembered me from my previous visit and even remembered how long the baby bottles needed in the microwave, We both appreciated the staff serving us quietly as the baby was asleep. The menu offered variety and the portions were a decent size. All food was served piping hot.
All the staff were friendly and helpful nothing was a bother. The hotel was ceratinly value for money as far as we were concerned and we look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: If travelling with a baby upgrade to a superior room - it's worth paying the extra cost for tghe bigger room Contact the hotel in advance and they will work with you to help with specific needs
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Angela O
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your second visit review, I agree our superior rooms are larger than our standard rooms. I have already passed on your very kind comments to Elaine and her team in the Restaurant and Ian our Head Chef who are very happy to hear that their high standards have been appreciated. It is always great to see returning guests, I truly believe the main reason we have so many revisiting us is the helpful staff and our great value half board breaks.

Sorry I missed on this visit, but I did not miss pushing starting your car !!

Kind Regards

Reviewed 9 April 2012

on arrival, we were checked in by the manager in a really pleasant reception and walked through a recently refurbished restaurant to our room. On leaving the restaurant and entering the corridor to the bedrooms on the ground floor, we were shocked by how cold it was. It was preparation for the shocking state of room 21. Not only was it freezing cold in there because the heating wasn't even on, but there was peeling wall paper and black mould and damp patches on the walls and under the window. Even the window frames had mould and dirt on them as did the curtains. We did ask for the heating to be switched on and went out for a walk. On return, we found a portable electric heater had been left in the room. Unfortunately, it had the output of an asthmatic mouse! The bathroom was equally a shocker - cracked bath panel, toilet flush buttons that come out of the cistern, a constantly dripping tap, toilet roll holder coming off the wall and rust running down the tiles from the hand rail. What is particularly disappointing is that the damp and mould issues were brought to the manager's attention in August last year and nothing has been done about it. Many other guests complained about the cold. There is no excuse for it. On the day of departure, we were told to have our luggage in reception by 7 a.m, so had to get up early. There was no hot water for a shower and still none at 8.30 just before departure. Appalling.
On the positive side, the restaurant staff and the quality of food served were all excellent.
This was our first and last visit to the Windermere and it really doesn't sell the UK as a viable holiday destination.

Room Tip: don't bother - it's freezing!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank neil u

Dear Reviewer

I have checked out room 21 with my Housekeeper and we have drawn up an action plan to address any issues, this fell under the radar and it is fair comment to be a little disappointed in what I saw for which truly apologise. However, I wish you could have brought your concerns to my attention during your stay and I am sure we both would have had a better result than letting me know through trip advisor. As for last August issues I can assure you all reported problems are dealt with, but sometimes others appear. Thank you for your very positive comments regarding the food and service you received in our Restaurant.

Should you wish to try us again get in touch and I will personally ensure there will not be a repeat performance.

Reviewed 2 April 2012

Booked via the Shearing’s web-site, a 3 night weekend break.

“Faded Elegance” is the usual description for hotels of this era, but the décor was bright and fresh in all of the public areas. The room was a bit small, but comfortable and adequate. A full size bath tub would have been nice, but the shower worked well. The room window is adjacent to some sort of equipment, I think it may be a kitchen extract fan, which runs for part of the day. It is not overly loud, but you will be aware of it, and I could have done without it at 7.00 am on a Sunday. (Room 109).

The lack of any credit card facilities might be a nuisance to some customers, but several banks and their ATMs are only a few minutes walk away.

One glaring omission was the lack of a security device on the room door, (e.g. a chain or similar) Women, who are on their own, might prefer to see such a facility, or am I spending too much time in the USA?

The staff, (like most hotels, are a mix of young East Europeans, or similar, and British), they are all very friendly and helpful. The hotel does not appear, (unlike most others), to be understaffed.

Food was good, especially the breakfast. Very good service in the dining room.

Compares favourably with the other 3 Shearings/Coast & Country UK hotels I have stayed at in recent years. An easy few minutes walk to the town centre shops, and, an excellent tourist information centre is just across the road. There is an endless confection of outdoor activities and attractions available in the area.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank MunroBill
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2012

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your very descriptive review and for writing so many positive comments about the Windermere Hotel and the local amenities.

I just want to reassure you that our bedroom door security is always a high priority, however we must always allow access in case of emergency, especially when guests travel alone.

As you know we did have problem with our card payment machine over that weekend, which I agree was a bit of a nuisance, we are now back on line!!.

Sorry if this caused you any inconvenience.

Hope you come to stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

this was our 1st time, we were greeted by james on reception who was excellent, helpful, smiley and chatty, but we could not say that about any other member of staff we saw if you gave them eye contact they looked away, our first nights dinner was very poor, but thaknfully sats was excellent.!! thku we will return

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mandy M

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your mixed review, I was surprised to read that James was the only member of staff you found helpful as we at the Windermere Hotel are proud of the many complimentary trip advisor reviews we have received which mention the helpfulness and friendliness of our staff, however I must apologise if this was not case.I was pleased that overall you enjoyed your “long weekend” meals and it makes me happy that you will return.

Reviewed 25 March 2012

my sister-in-law and I had a good weekend break at the Windermere Hotel. Food and service very good. We were on a Shearings break, but we made out own way there, as we live in Lancashire. We were in single rooms 40 and 42, we paid extra for this, (although what they could have done with the rooms otherwise I don't know!!) My room (40), needs a little TLC, bathroom door did not close, wallpaper marked etc etc and odd shaped room. The view was of a coach (Shearings!!)
Excellent location and staff good.
Would stay again, but check room first.

Room Tip: not in the extension where 40 was.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank patmason24
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2012

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to write your review I’m pleased that you and your sister-in-law enjoyed your weekend with us at the Windermere Hotel, I agree the hotel is in an excellent location.

Coast and Country Hotels do charge supplements on single rooms and here we also have scenic view supplements, but not the ground floor rooms you stayed in, and I can only apologise if your rooms did not meet your expectations.

I am so glad you found the food and the service you received to be very good.

Hope you stay with us again soon.