We have just returned from a weekend break at this hotel and found it poor. Our room (210)was very small with hardly space to move round and was depressingly decorated in dark brown and dull green. The carpet was threadbare in places. It was like stepping back to the fifties. The corridors and reception were painted in a very dark grey and were also very gloomy. I can only think that the designer was going through a nervous breakdown when given this commission!
In the room the ensuite was clean, but the sink had a large crack from side to side and the shower lacked any power. I did ask to change rooms and was given the option to look at another one on the floor below but this turned out to be just the same size. I was told that this was the standard room size and if this is so would hate to spend more than a night or two here.
We had paid an extra £28 for a scenic view and this was the saving grace as we were able to watch the snow falling silently over Windermere, creating both a winter wonderland and a hazard as motorists tried to get up the hill next to the hotel! However, no matter how pretty the view we will not be returning to this hotel or recommending it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Windermere has been called the ‘Gateway to the Lakes.’ With mountains, moors, lakes and tarns it is a wonderful place to relax and enjoy the splendour of the English countryside, right in the heart of the Lake District. The Windermere Hotel occupies an excellent location at the head of the village of Windermere itself. Built from traditional Lakeland slate, our hotel is listed by English Heritage, and is one of the oldest hotels in Windermere having opened back in 1847 to coincide with the construction of the local railway. The hotel’s location is ideal for exploring the local villages of Bowness and Windermere, as well as the beautiful Lake District scenery. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Agoda and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Windermere Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Hotel Windermere
- Windermere The Hotel
- Windermere Hotel Windermere
- The Windermere Hotel Lake District