“Good value break”

Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Good value break”
Reviewed 9 February 2013

Just retured from a 4 day self drive holiday at the Windermere Hoteland once again have had a great time.The Lake District was beautiful and uncrowded.The hotel food was excellent and served efficiently by the superb staff.The hotel can get chilly at times but all you need to do is ask and extra heaters will be supplied.Well done Giles your staff are a credit to you

Room Tip: If its windy choose aroom at the rear of the hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ken w
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this review, 11 February 2013
Dear Reviewer

Once again thank you for your wonderful review, we do try our best to ensure our guests feel the way you do about our hotel. You very kindly took the time to praise us on your departure, with a special mention for the service you received in our Restaurant. The most important thing for me is you enjoyed your second stay with us just as much as your first time.
Hope to see you again, thanks for this staff boosting review.
Kindest Regards
Giles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2013

We stayed for 2 nights. Dinner bed and breakfast. Had to pay extra for front facing room. Room was small but clean enough although dated. First night I ordered the lamb shank as this came with potatoes I asked for chips as I don't eat mashed potatoes. The very nice waiter went to ask the chef if this was okay. The waiter informed me that chef stated I had to pay extra. I accepted this as the waiter was lovely. When lamb was served I had a few mouthfuls then it started to feel a little cold. I informed the waiter who returned it to the kitchen. On returning with the dish I cut into the shank to find it was still in fact ice cold I informed the very embarrassed waiter again and informed him I know longer had an appetite for the dish. The waiter returned with the dish as the chef sent it back out. During the night I began vomiting and this continued the whole of the following day. On informing reception I was informed it couldn't have been the lamb that caused it and could I possibly have eaten anything else. I had eaten some toast that morning so knew that was not the cause.
The staff that I dealt with over this were nice but dismissive of the fact that the lamb had caused it.
As this is a regular spot for pensioners having a weekend away I dread to think how it could have effected one if them.
Entertainment was a singer who was awful.
The bar was very small and the bar staff where very very slow. Seating in the hotel in bar and tv lounge looked like a hospital waiting room. Chairs and couches were horrendous.
In my opinion if you are looking for comfort and well cooked food do not stay here.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Maria H
Dear Reviewer

I am pleased that our waiters were able to provide good service, however your comments regarding the lamb shank did surprise me as we receive so many reviews from guests complimenting our wonderful food. If you felt I was dismissive I must apologise I was only trying to offer you help by calling a Doctor, any instances of illness are always checked by management.
Blackpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2013

we were at he windermere hotel 1st to 4th feb 2013 and all we found were very friendly and atentive staff i would defanetly go back, although our room a little cold we told the staff there was an extra heater put in for us the radiators were on all the time in our room so for me n my husband its top marks and you dont get any fussier than i am

Room Tip: no tips to add other than go with the flow and enjoy it like we did and treat the staff how you woul...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Erika S
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We work hard to resolve any issues and maintain guest satisfaction. I have passed on to the staff your very complimentary views.
Hope you stay with us again soon.
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2013

We stayed at the hotel from 1st February to 3rd February 2013. The hotel is in an excellent location yet the room we stayed in was small and cold and not particularly clean. The real problem of this hotel was a front of house member of staff (JW). When we came down for breakfast (included in our rate) at 9:45am on the Saturday morning we were told that breakfast had finished at 9:30. The in room booklet clearly stated breakfast was served from 8:00am until 10:00am. The hotel had amended their breakfast times and did not display any notices of this.

When we spoke to the lady on reception (JW) she explained in a very defensive manner that the booklet clearly states these times are ‘subject to change,’ though if you are to check your booklet this is not the case. Throughout the dialogue with JW she was very rude, talking over our comments and offered no apology/accountability.

Overall a very unpleasant member of staff on the front desk made our stay disappointing - we would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you do stay, room 210 is a terrible room - there is a view but you can't see due to the conde...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank PeteM187062
Dear Reviewer
I am sorry you were unable to have breakfast in the dining room, however we did ensure you had a continental breakfast served in the lounge. Ultimately all details are subject to change but we endeavour to inform all of our guests of such changes. I am very sorry this incident was not dealt with in a more sympathetic manner as it obviously spoilt your stay with us, for which I can only apologise.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2013

Hotel booked via internet search and found it to be a very good choice
As we were arriving by train the location was ideal,right next to the train station with the added bonus of the local bus services to Kendal,Ambleside and Keswick
Found the hotel staff friendly and helpful
We only stayed on a B&B basis,but a found a good variety of food on the breakfast menu
Our room was a first floor twin room, with excellent views towards the lake,
Watching 10" of snow fall in a few hours was the added bonus.
We would stay again

1 Thank BJ125
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
Dear Reviewer
I am glad you enjoyed your weekend break in Windermere and you found the hotel in an ideal location for getting about the Lake District.
I agree the views from our scenic rooms over looking Windermere town and lake are stunning and ever more so when covered in snow.
I will pass on your kind comments to the staff and hope to see you here again soon.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2013

we stayed at the Windermere from 25.1.13 - 28.1.13 we have visited the hotel several times and always enjoyed ourselves. The food was lovely, the waiting staff were very good and efficient. the rooms were lovely and clean, Our room was no 203 and was the end room on the second floor we looked out onto the roof of another building so i went down to reception and asked if we could pay to upgrade and was told yes and were about to pay and get the keys when (JW) said we could not upgrade as there were no rooms available despite being told that we could, i found this very strange. it was a dreadfully small room with a very small bathroom. The water was warm but not hot, so i went down to reception and told them but (JW) said it would need to run through so we let it run for 20 minutes and it was still only warm. I telephoned reception and again spoke to (JW) and was told it would warm up but it did not, so we used kettles full of boiling water to heat the bath water up. I found (JW) most unhelpful considering she is front of house staff, and as a result i spoke to Giles on leaving.

Room Tip: hope you dont get room 203 it was a dreadful view and was very cold.
4 Thank toni e
Dear Reviewer

I’m very sorry for the confusion over room availability, just as you were chatting with Nadia another guest was booking into the upgraded bedroom so it was no longer available. If we had been aware of your dissatisfaction with bedroom 203 of course we would have offered another standard room and an additional heater. However I am glad you spoke to me and it hasn’t put you off staying with us again, the hot water complaint is now being investigated.
Please give me a call when you are thinking of booking with us again.

Kindest Regards
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2013

We have just returned from a weekend break at this hotel and found it poor. Our room (210)was very small with hardly space to move round and was depressingly decorated in dark brown and dull green. The carpet was threadbare in places. It was like stepping back to the fifties. The corridors and reception were painted in a very dark grey and were also very gloomy. I can only think that the designer was going through a nervous breakdown when given this commission!
In the room the ensuite was clean, but the sink had a large crack from side to side and the shower lacked any power. I did ask to change rooms and was given the option to look at another one on the floor below but this turned out to be just the same size. I was told that this was the standard room size and if this is so would hate to spend more than a night or two here.
We had paid an extra £28 for a scenic view and this was the saving grace as we were able to watch the snow falling silently over Windermere, creating both a winter wonderland and a hazard as motorists tried to get up the hill next to the hotel! However, no matter how pretty the view we will not be returning to this hotel or recommending it.

Room Tip: There are Premier and Superior rooms available which may be better but none were available when we s...
4 Thank DandM48
Dear Reviewer
I am sorry you found the colour scheme of the hotel not to your liking and were unhappy with the standard of your bedroom. However I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your view which is well worth the supplement paid.