“Another Super Shearings Hotel.”

The Windermere Hotel
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Blackpool
“Another Super Shearings Hotel.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

This is the fourth successive Shearings Hotel I have reviewed over the last3 years..Previouslyand in order The Highland in Stathpeffer The Gairloch Hotel in Gairloch,The Majestic Hotel in Bournemouth and now The Windermere Hotel in Windermere.Is it just coincidence or what?Each one of the Hotels have been excellent value and each stay thoroughly enjoyable.My wife and I stayed for 3 nights from Sept.13th to Sept.16th[depart]Our room no.216.was spotless ,comfortable and well equiped,flat screen TV,Coffee and tea making facilities etc and the view looking over to Lake Windermere was magnificent.The bathroom too was spotless with plenty of towels and a complimentary tray of shampoo,s and shower gels.Food was good in fact excellent with ample choice and nicely presented.Portions were not huge compared with home,but then we probably eat too much at home anyway.The service was fast friendly and unobtrusive.A special mention for the lovely bubbly young lady in reception who greeted us on arrival at3pm on Friday.What a wonderful ambassador for her employer.The perfect person for the job.The entertainment in my view was a little out of sinc.BUT NOT the performer,She was fine,Her repertoire was a bit repetitive in that she sang nothing but Ella Fitzgerald jazz type numbers.After a while,many people left and the performer packed up when she had only 8 people left to entertain.A shame really because she sang the songs very well.So.There you have it.Another success for Shearings Hotels.Thankyou to all the staff at the Windermere.You are all First Class.We will be back///.

Room Tip: We had room no.216 and could not fault it.
2 Thank Robert C
gunner196440, Front Office Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this review, 28 September 2013
Dear reviewer

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the hotel, I am so pleased you enjoyed your weekend break. I shall share your compliments with all the staff and know they will be happy to read your satisfaction.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and reading your next 5* review

Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
Ongar, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed at The Windermere Hotel during the first week in September 2013 and thoroughly enjoyed our holiday. We were not part of a coach trip. This was our 3rd Coast and Country Hotel holiday, the first in Scarborough and just recently in Bath. The car parking charge of £5 a day is a bit expensive but if you have to pay it, you have to pay it! We could only book a Premier Room as it was a fairly last minute holiday. Room 104 was very good, modern, clean, separate shower cubicle, larger TV than normal and a bottle of sparking wine and chocolates as an extra, very nice!! We had a lake view, in the distance but it was still a view. It was worth the extra money to have a better room for sure. No sound problems from upstairs guests which makes a change for an older hotel. Couldn't find much to fault the hotel, the service in the restaurant was good, the food was good, the staff very friendly and accommodating. I found it strange that I had to ask for fruit at breakfast, it was not readily available in a bowl on the serving table, nor were the yoghurts but once I knew, apples were served when requested. My only real criticism was the lack of a decaffeinated choice of tea within our evening meal package. Bit pernickety I know but sometimes the small things annoy you the most! The other two hotels in this chain offered herbal teas for us people who can't have caffeine. If I had wanted a peppermint tea, it would have cost me a £1 as it was classed as a 'speciality tea'. My remedy for this, ask for a pot of hot water and take your own peppermint tea bag into the lounge. The lounge is a little small for the amount of people but it wasn't a problem. The hotel is perfectly situated for driving around the lakes and we had a really lovely holiday, it is a magnificent area with stunning views. If you can brave the mountain passes, especially Wrynose and Hardknott passes, then you will be in for a treat. These hotels are great value for money and we shall be visiting another one for sure. Thank you Windermere Hotel for a memorable holiday.

Room Tip: If you can afford the Premier Rooms then opt for this upgrade. We stayed in room 104 at the front o...
2 Thank Shirley F
Dear reviewer

I am so pleased you enjoyed one of premier scenic bedrooms. With a 4-poster bed, seating area, and separate bath and shower they offer a little bit of luxury for the supplemental price, not to mention the beautiful views over the village, lake and hills that we are famous for.
I hope you will find time to visit us again and make more happy holiday memories.

North Wales
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

We have had several holidays with coast and country and have to say this is the worst stay we have ever experienced and our high expectations were shattered upon arrival at this hotel. We paid £250 for a two night break for a treat for our wedding anniversary in September and were disappointed with our stay on a number of levels. Firstly on arrival to our room which was situated at the back of the hotel, it was very small and damp smelling with a small double bed and old mattress. The room was in need of decoration and updating and the bathroom was extremely small and the repair work it was shoddy. When I requested if another room would be available I was told that the only options available to us would be a twin or single room or that we could possibly upgrade on the Saturday to another room at the discounted price of £30 (the full price for upgrade would have been £39). We had no choice but to stay in the room we had been given. When we went to eat our evening meal (at 8pm the only slot available) we were given the menu by the waiter and were told that the food included in the package that we had paid for was listed on the left hand side of the menu and if we wanted to upgrade on the food choice then we could select from the right hand side of the menu at an extra cost. I have to say the food choices were very poor and the quality and quantity of the food was also mediocre and the same has to be said for the breakfast selection. (cold toast, cold hash browns and a few beans on the plate) On a plus side, I have to compliment the staff for the friendliness and courtesy shown towards us and everyone else. Well done to you all, but unfortunately it is with great disappointment that I have to say I will taking my very hard earned money elsewhere in the future

1 Thank Hormonal
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review, I am sorry we did not meet your holiday expectations in some aspects of your stay, and will investigate your comments

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff which I will pass on.

Kind Regards
Giles
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

We stayed for the first week in September as part of the Shearing Grand Tourer holiday and it was fab. We loved the quaintness of the hotel, including the maze to and from our room, the staff were brilliant, cheerful, helpful, courteous at all times. The hotel was full so dinner was at pre-booked set times but there was no sense of hurry or rush even for those who may have lingered over long occasionally (sorry). We would have liked a larger lounge as it was sometimes difficult to get a seat especially if there were a few of you, however it wasn't that much of a problem. The location is perfect with trains, buses, and information bureau opposite & several walks from the front door! One word of caution, if you have a choice avoid room 39, it's above the fire door where all the luggage is brought in which means a lot of door crashing & banging, thankfully that didn't happen every night! We loved our stay & would recommend this hotel to anyone who plans a trip to the lakes.

3 Thank Judy G
Dear reviewer

Thank you for your wonderful 5 * review of your Grand Tourer coach holiday at the Windermere Hotel.
I shall pass on your comments to the staff who will be pleased to read of your satisfaction.
I hope you were able to walk Orrest Head (located next to the hotel) and see the panoramic view of Lake Windermere- my favourite stroll- during your walks.

Maidstone
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

I stayed at The Windermere for a week as part of a Shearings holiday experience in the Lake District. I was impressed with the Shearings organisation - the driver, coach and management of clients and their luggage was smooth and friendly and the journey and excursions were well planned.
The hotel was built for the railway and the architecture reflects that era. Built from the local grey stone, it appears rather austere from the outside. Inside the grey is continued and the public rooms have been decorated with black, grey and white paint with American blinds and grey and beige chairs. The result was chic but rather cold for my taste. There was a TV lounge for guests to use and when the bar seats were full this became an "overspill" area. The bar had entertainment on some nights in the form of an excellent lady singer and piano player who both perfomed popular easy listening music.The dining rooms were similarly furnished with one area near the windows and an inner room with little natural light but never the less comfortable.
Breakfast offered a good range of cereals and juices and we ordered the cooked items from the waiting staff so all was freshly served rather than collected from a heated buffet. The evening meals were 3 courses and offered a fair selection of set dishes (familiar soups, fish and casseroles and some more surprising dishes such as duck pudding), or an a la carte menu for an additional fee. For the ladies portion sizes were fine but I suspect some of the gentlemen would prefer a little more potato!
Reception, bar and dining staff were courteous, friendly and very helpful. They worked very hard and made guests welcome - often coping with some difficult requests.
My room was a single room on the ground floor with a very high ceiling. As such it was rather cold but I'm assured the rooms higher in the hotel are more comfortable and have a much better outlook. The room and bathroom had all the facilities required and all was very clean though showed the wear and tear of a well used hotel.
This hotel is set on a hill above Windermere and ideally placed for exploring the area. My highlight was walking from the hotel entrance and climbing to Orrest Head behind the hotel. The climb was only about 45 minutes (and I'm not a fast walker) but the view from the top was breathtaking.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank donaldsdaughter
gunner196440, Front Office Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Dear reviewer

Thank you so much for your comprehensive review of the hotel and your holiday with Shearings.

I am so pleased to read your satisfaction with the various aspects of the break and particularly that you were able to find time to see the panoramic view of Windermere from the top of Orrest Head, my favourite viewpoint.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future and sharing further walks that you would enjoy

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

Great location, especially if you're going on busses and trains. Coming by car you need to pay the ransom for parking. Our room was comfortable but not recently refurbished. Meals were good although the restaurant got very busy at times. There's a great Booths supermarket opposite as well as the Lakeland Ltd store and cafe, and you're really close to the centre of Windermere and not far from Bowness. A great base to explore the popular South Lakes.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lanky-rambler
Dear reviewer

Thank you for your review.

I’m pleased to read you were able to enjoy our location so close for access to trains, buses and bikes to explore the area.

We are a very busy and popular hotel in a beautiful setting.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel

Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

We went on a value break with my 85yr old mother. For the money you cant beat it. Service slow in dining room and bar but food was surprisingly good. Parking is difficult you can book but have to dodge the tour buses blocking entrance to get out! It would improve the vista from ground floor rooms if some effort could be made with the weeds at the back and maybe painting the rusty old fire escape! Would advise against a back ground floor room, dark and damp.

Room Tip: Higher rooms at the front are advised, double room bed was uncomfortable, bathroom floor still wet f...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to post your review, I was saddened to read that we did not meet your expectations and you felt the service you received was slow, for that I must apologise.
We always investigate any adverse comments and give attention to improve, where we can.
I hope you will consider booking another value for money break at the hotel