“Windermere Hotel”

The Windermere Hotel
Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Reviewed 18 January 2014

On arrival at the hotel around 2pm we were told check in was strictly at 3pm, this wasn't a big problem but most other hotels will at least offer to check if your room is ready. We came back later and checked in and found our room to be small but nicely furnished and perfectly adequate for 1 night and was value for money. We went down for breakfast about 8.45 and gave our room number and were told us we could sit anywhere so we picked a table for 2 in the window, the table had a dirty cup and plate on it but I didn't think this would be a problem,however the male waiter ignored us and took everyone else's order,we asked politely could we order our breakfast and he told us we were not aloud to sit at that table and we had to move to a clean one and if we didn't like this we could speak to the manager,to say we were flabbergasted would be an understatement we felt like naughty schoolchildren,we promptly moved tables as requested ,he asked us what drinks we wanted and I also asked politely could I order my breakfast and he said very rudely you have to wait to order this because we are very busy. My husband had had enough by now and went to complain to a lady who said she was the Supervisor,she did take our order and was polite and helpful but said they were rushed as everyone had come down at once. I pointed out that this was hardly surprising as breakfast was from 8am to 9 and most people who are away for a relaxing break do not want to have to get up at the crack of dawn, she agreed with me but it obviously wasn't up to her.This member of staff spoiled our breakfast and impression of the hotel which seems to have bizarre rules, customer service was sadly lacking ! Also 10.00am checkout is too early especially when checkin is not till 3pm.

Room Tip: Skip breakfast.
1  Thank 310PLB
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Firstly I must apologise that our Check In / Check Out procedures were not to your satisfaction, these are clearly stated in any correspondence / confirmation so guests are aware before their arrival.
With regards to your Breakfast experience I apologise to you if any of my staff were rude to you, as you can see from previous reviews staff rudeness is not normally an issue. However, there may have been some confusion regarding your decision to sit on a dirty table rather than choosing to sit at a table laid up ready for Breakfast.
I am glad you found the room perfectly adequate and good value for money.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Have just returned from a weekend at Windermere with Shearings (my first time) so I did not know what to expect.Coach to Normanton then onto Windermere went very smoothly.Seemed well organised-no problems.The tour coach driver(female) was brilliant.The hotel staff were very polite and helpful . Food was very good and plentiful. I occupied a single room Ist floor front , with a commanding view of Windermere,excellent.The only downside,little or no entertainment at night.

Room Tip: Front room lovely view
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Gordon R

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for you review regarding your stay here at the Windermere Hotel.
I will certainly inform Joanne your coach driver of your kind comments. I am sure she will be delighted with her special mention. I agree the views from our front rooms are wonderful all year round.
It always great for the staff to read such a complimentary view

Reviewed 14 January 2014

Travelled from MIDDLESBROUGH to Windermere with Shearings, via their Normanton interchange.Arrived at hotel by lunchtime and checked in after 3pm.We didn't hang around ,we went straight down to Bowness. Our room on second floor - 207 was spotless, with plenty of towels AND toilet rolls ( often a rarity) .Shower was difficult to turn on and power quite low , but nothing too major to worry about .Breakfast was help yourself, to cereals etc.and 'full English' served at table by two impeccably dressed and courteous waiters(.We seem to be busy moaning about 'Foreign Workers' of late, but British waiting staff could learn a thing or two from these gentlemen).Dinner was the usual three course choice and the presentation was more akin to a la carte than 'take it or leave it', often presented to you in less caring hotels.The idea of £25 behind the bar credit per person was a great idea, and we were more than happy to spend more.To those who have complained about the drinks prices, just remember,you are in a hotel and not Wetherspoons.Even i can survive without them for a few days.The bar seating area could have been a little bigger , though people did leave around 9.30 pm creating more seating space.The hotel is about a mile and a half from Lake Windermere, making it a long walk for those not so fit,though most of our coach party seemed of an age to have passes( there were so many walking sticks you could have started a bonfire ! ( Politically incorrect i know !!!!) Giles obviously runs a good ship here and this one will stay afloat while many others are sinking fast. Would i return here again ? Yes, without doubt, though i think the independent traveller may feel a little smothered by the coach monopoly ( after all it is a Shearings hotel ).It would be an idea to have background music playing during breakfast as it can resemble a doctors waiting room with everybody appearing to almost speak in a whisper.Ten out of ten to all concerned within the hotel and keep up the good work. P.S.- I can recommend the Brandy And Port !!!!!

Room Tip: Room 207 overlooked the hills were the sheep were grazing .If you struggled to get to sleep you coul...
5  Thank Gisarne

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for such a wonderful & comprehensive review. I am delighted to hear you were happy with all aspects of your stay including the Brandy & Port!!! Your comment regarding background music in the Restaurant has been noted. It is always a pleasure to hear that the job I love doing with my “crew” pays off with happy guests and I can assure you we will do our very best to keep this great ship afloat. I hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

We had a lovely room on the second floor looking over the front of the hotel. The hotel was very modern and comfortable, lovely white bedding and very comfortable bed. Excellent food very friendly, polite staff we will stay at this hotel again.

2  Thank Janis M

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review, it is very much appreciated.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Windermere Hotel very soon.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

We stayed on the 20th Dec.on a 2 night 3 day Shearings Break. Once again a brilliant stay Rooms comfortable and food excellent served by fantastic staff for which nothing is too much trouble and are a great asset to this hotel.The trip out was good so all in all excellent value for money and set us up for the Christmas period.
Sorry we missed you Giles apparently you were on holiday,the staff were very efficient in your absence. All the best to you all for 2014.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ChristineLeedsLeeds
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for the review and I am sorry I missed you too. It is extremely pleasing that the team keep up the good work while I am away, I wouldn’t have it any other way!!

All the very best to you too and I look forward to seeing you on your third visit very soon.

Kind Regards Giles

Reviewed 11 January 2014

Just returned (6th-10th Jan) from a lovely stay at the Windermere with Shearings holiday. It is a lovely old hotel with an impressive exterior, inside, the restaurant /bar /lounge areas are very pleasant and comfortable. The waiting and bar staff are very friendly,polite, and attentive, and they work very hard to make your stay enjoyable. Food wise, the coast and country menu had a good varied choice ,meat,fish, vegetarian and salads all available as standard ,good portions and tasty. With our deal, included was the £25 per person spend, which you can spend at the bar/lunches or take a packed lunch when you leave the hotel. We had a standard room which was clean ,comfortable and warm. This really was a good stay at the hotel and was much enjoyed. Thank you to Giles and the team.

Room Tip: We had a basic room which was fine, which was all we needed, there are better rooms if you wish to s...
1  Thank Jeff10_13

Dear Reviewer

Thank you so much for this great review, I am so pleased you took advantage of our In House Credit deal and your very kind comments will be passed onto the team.

Hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

had a lovely eve, room was nice n clean fresh decor throughout, room 210 lovely views, not overly big room but we didnt mind, very clean n smelt fresh . white towels n beddind crisp . slight wear in bedroom carpet but very clean definatly 3/4 * thanku coast n country will be returning on a good deal....

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank Cfamily43
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear Reviewer

Well what can I say except thank you for such a great review. I am delighted you were happy with all aspects of your stay, and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Giles Norwood