On arrival at the hotel around 2pm we were told check in was strictly at 3pm, this wasn't a big problem but most other hotels will at least offer to check if your room is ready. We came back later and checked in and found our room to be small but nicely furnished and perfectly adequate for 1 night and was value for money. We went down for breakfast about 8.45 and gave our room number and were told us we could sit anywhere so we picked a table for 2 in the window, the table had a dirty cup and plate on it but I didn't think this would be a problem,however the male waiter ignored us and took everyone else's order,we asked politely could we order our breakfast and he told us we were not aloud to sit at that table and we had to move to a clean one and if we didn't like this we could speak to the manager,to say we were flabbergasted would be an understatement we felt like naughty schoolchildren,we promptly moved tables as requested ,he asked us what drinks we wanted and I also asked politely could I order my breakfast and he said very rudely you have to wait to order this because we are very busy. My husband had had enough by now and went to complain to a lady who said she was the Supervisor,she did take our order and was polite and helpful but said they were rushed as everyone had come down at once. I pointed out that this was hardly surprising as breakfast was from 8am to 9 and most people who are away for a relaxing break do not want to have to get up at the crack of dawn, she agreed with me but it obviously wasn't up to her.This member of staff spoiled our breakfast and impression of the hotel which seems to have bizarre rules, customer service was sadly lacking ! Also 10.00am checkout is too early especially when checkin is not till 3pm.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Windermere has been called the ‘Gateway to the Lakes.’ With mountains, moors, lakes and tarns it is a wonderful place to relax and enjoy the splendour of the English countryside, right in the heart of the Lake District. The Windermere Hotel occupies an excellent location at the head of the village of Windermere itself. Built from traditional Lakeland slate, our hotel is listed by English Heritage, and is one of the oldest hotels in Windermere having opened back in 1847 to coincide with the construction of the local railway. The hotel’s location is ideal for exploring the local villages of Bowness and Windermere, as well as the beautiful Lake District scenery. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Odigeo and Ebookers so you can book your The Windermere Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Hotel Windermere
- Windermere The Hotel
- Windermere Hotel Windermere
- The Windermere Hotel Lake District