“Lovely Windermere, an excellent 5 day break”

The Windermere Hotel
Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Lovely Windermere, an excellent 5 day break”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I booked this hotel via Shearings for a 4 day break for my parents, as axmas present w/c 31/3/2014. After an initial issue with the double room being rather small with no view I am pleased to say that Giles the Manager dealt with it in a very professional way. This ensured my parents were happy with their room, the food was excellent, although an average size portion, all staff were most friendly and helpful. Windermere and surrounding area's Grasmere etc are absolutely lovely and my parents cannot recommend the area enough. This is a hilly area so suits people that are particulary mobile, take a good pair of walking boots and be prepared to have a lovely relaxing holiday at the hotel and in the area. If you are over 60 and have free bus passes, please remember to take them with you as you can then tour the area (the bus station and railway station is just across the road. Thanks to Giles and his team making sure my parents had a lovely 5 days away, they inform me that they will be back :)

Room Tip: An upper floor room for the views and book twin bedded rooms as a lot more decent size than a double...
1 Thank Leanne L
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for such a complimentary review. I was pleased we were able to resolve your parents issues and that they enjoyed the rest of their stay here. Our surroundings are indeed second to none I am very lucky to live here and I am glad to hear your parents enjoyed the area so much. Your comments regarding the service, food and staff will as always be passed on in our monthly meeting.
I look forward to welcoming your parents on their return in the not too distant future.

Giles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Arabic first
London
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights with Shearings Hotel and Country coach package. The hotel is located quite high above Lake Windermere and our room had a lovely view of the lake, which is about a 20 minute walk. Not ideal for anyone with mobility problems due to the steepness of the location, but very close to the bus and train station.
The room was fine with plenty of storage and the bed very comfortable. We were half-board and the table d'hote food was very good, although you could choose from the a la carte menu for a supplement, which we did on one evening. My only criticism would be the shower over the bath which was like light rain!
The coach was very comfortable and the Russian driver excellent. Excellent value for money break. Recommended.

Room Tip: Its worth paying the supplement to get a lake view.
1 Thank GenieG45
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you so much for posting such a great review, I am delighted you found your stay here excellent.
Your comment regarding your shower has been noted and will be investigated.
It is great to hear that the coach was comfortable and you were happy with your driver and I must agree that both weekend & midweek breaks are excellent value for money at this present time.
I sincerely hope you will come back to visit us in the not too distant future.

Tenterden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

stayed here in early march as part of a Shearings Grand Tourer break,

stayed in room 40 which was comfortable, but a long way from reception/bar etc but I found that easier to walk down the stairs and through the car park as it seemed a shorter route, had one small issue with the handle on the shower door coming off but that was soon fixed.

Food was excellent as were the waiting staff particularly Csbonas (I think that was his name or something similar)

The only thing I was unhappy about was when you came down to breakfast at 7.30, when you went to book your evening meal time all the early slots had gone, only 7.45 or 8.15 slots left, I had on a couple of occasions asked the night before about booking for the next day but was told that wasn't possible, just a little something that maybe needs reviewing

I do however feel that the company have spoilt the hotel by swapping the bar and restaurant areas around especially having to pass through the restaurant to use the toilets, I remember the hotel from the early 90's and things were better with a much bigger restaurant, still I guess they think this is progress.

Our coach driver Joanne was also excellent with a great knowledge of the area, but then being a local girl helps.

Will definitely be returning again later in the year on a longer Grand Tourer break

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank alemonster
Dear Reviewer

I am pleased to hear you were happy with most aspects of your stay. With regards to your comment about booking your evening meal I apologise for any inconvenience caused. You will be happy to know this matter was investigated and subsequently changed and is working very well.
I will pass on your kind comments to Csaba & Joanne I am sure they will be delighted with the mention.
I look forward to welcoming you back later in the year.

Northwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014

The hotel is well located and very well maintained. We were in a premier room which was very well decorated but the heating was lacking! There was a portable radiator which we could use but the towel rail in the bathroom - the only heating there - was controlled centrally and seemed to provide heat only between 7.30 and 8.30 am! It is a great pity that this should have been a draw back to what could have been an excellent experience. The meal on the first evening was really VERY poor but the other two nights made up for that. Breakfast - apart from warm bread rather than toast - and bar service were very good indeed. Many people would concentrate on the negatives but this hotel does offer a very good experience. It would be good if the heating issue could be addressed.

Room Tip: Opt for the lake view
2 Thank William R
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent stay here at the Windermere Hotel. Regarding your comment about the heating in the bathroom our heated towel rails are centrally controlled and are programmed to be on an hour and a half both in the morning & evening, at times we feel are “peak” times that the bathrooms would be used by guests. Sincere apologies regarding your comments about the food you received during your stay these have been noted and investigated, I thank you for bringing the 2 issues to my attention.
The Hotel is indeed well located and is a wonderful base to explore the area.

Biggleswade Bedfordshire
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Returned to this Hotel for the 3rd time, think this says it all. Manager runs this Hotel superbly and has great staff. Rooms clean, and even though I made my bed every day it was remade by staff!! probably could do with redecorating in parts, but when a Hotel is a busy as this one, could prove difficult. Hoping to return later this year or early next year, its so easy to get around the Lake District from here, fantastic transport links, no need to use a car. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Globetrotter037
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for posting such a complimentary review. I am extremely lucky to have such a great team behind me which makes my job a lot easier. Your comment regarding redecorating in parts has been noted, you are absolutely right it does prove a little difficult to redecorate when we are so busy, having said that though we are constantly “touching up” around the Hotel.
Once again thank you for taking the time to post your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Windermere Hotel in the not too distant future.

Bishop Auckland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We have just returned from a great weekend at this hotel. We would like to thank all the staff for their pleasantness and willingness to help at all times. The room we had was basic but clean, although in need of a little redecoration. The food was good and varied with plenty of choice each day. We would recommend this hotel and would have no reservations about returning here again if we decide to visit the Lake District again.

2 Thank 968peter
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post such a great review. It is wonderful to hear your comments regarding the staff and food. I will certainly pass them on in our next monthly meeting.
I look forward to seeing you on your next visit to the wonderful Lake District.

Pickering, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2014

This was the first coach trip that we have done and we were not disappointed. Shearings staff were effecient and helpful. The Winderemere hotel was clean and our room although basic was tidy. I would like to thank all the staff for making my mother-in-laws 80th birthday so special by decorating the table, she has not stopped talking about it to friends and relations. I would like to say an extra thank you to Judith and the waiter on our table (sorry did not get your name) they were both helpful and friendly and they could not do enough for us. We would certainly come again to the Windermere hotel and would recommend it. Thank you all once again for a memorable weekend,

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 977patsy64
Dear Reviewer

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a wonderful review regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear you were happy with all aspects of your stay especially the staff.
I am pleased your Mother in Law enjoyed her Birthday we always try to make a special occasion that little bit more special where we can and I will pass on you kind comments to Judit and the rest of the Restaurant team.
I look forward to seeing you very soon