“a relaxing break”

The Windermere Hotel
Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My wife and I stayed here for four nights last week.The hotel was so easy to find it just appeared as we drove round the bend into windermere.The room was lovely and clean and comfortable with very good faciities. Our room was at the rear and had a nice view of the hills behind.We have always in the past stayed at bay hotels in seaside locations so this was a big change for us as we wanted to explore the lakes and do some fell walking and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here.The meal choices were very good and the meals were always lovely and tasty my compliments to the chef especially for the delicious lamb dinner on the thu evening.Now normally I always look forward to an evening of entertainment but was not dissapointed at the lack of it due to the nature of our stay, which after walking up to twenty miles a day and having our evening meal it was so nice to just sit in the bar area and have a few quiet pints before having a well needed sleep.All the staff from the manager down to the waiters do an excellent job and everyone was so pleasantThankyou all for a fabulous week

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank daiMidGlamorgan
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a great review regarding your stay here at the Windermere Hotel. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your holiday, you certainly embraced the concept of a Coast & Country hotel with regards to the entertainment, there is nothing better than a few quiet pints after a long walk to relax. It is always pleasing for myself and staff to be acknowledged in such a positive way.
Once again thank you and I hope to see you again very soon

There are newer reviews for The Windermere Hotel

Reviewed 15 April 2014

A large group of us stayed for three night recently. Our superior room had a good view and the decor was okay. Problem was the bed! An inferior mattress which had 2 flat duvets and a blanket under the sheet - so they know they have problems. We were eventually given a refund of the extra charge for our superior room plus a bottle of wine by the duty manager. This was after being shown an alternative room with exactly the same problem.
Our group has stayed at Shearings Hotels several times. They are always busy and the food at the Windermere is the best so far. Pity they do not regard the comfort of their residents a priority. We were not the only ones with this problem so an official complaint has been accepted by the company. We are awaiting for a response.
The Windermere has an excellent position with easy access to the town. The staff work very hard and the food service is very good,

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor and there was a long walk along annexe corridor to rooms. Good view towa...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank oapChesire
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review. I must sincerely apologise regarding the issues with your mattress during your stay here, a request has gone in to purchase new mattresses. Thank you for your great comments regarding my staff and the service you received in our Restaurant.
I hope your experience here does not deter you from using Coast & Country Hotels in the future.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

We have just returned from a Shearing coach, three day, week-end break at the Windemere Hotel, Windemere, Cumbria. The trip to and from the Lake District was excellent with our driver Gerry, and a compliment of 30 retired couples, who all enjoyed the drive and the tour around the Lake District.

The Windemere Hotel which was opened in 1847 has a certain "olde world" charm to it, and the public areas are warm, comfortable and inviting. Unfortunately the same cannot be said of the bedrooms, which are desperately in need of major renovation, especially to the bathrooms, where there are damaged tiles clinging to the walls, where they appear to have been stuck back on with super glue when they have fallen off. Cracked and peeling bath sealant is much in evidence, and the lino floors could do with a good clean around the edges.

You are unable to have a bath, because the bath taps have been disconnected, and one wonders why the bath itself has not been removed and replaced with a shower unit, which would save space, if the hotel management do not want it patrons to use the bath for baths! Having traveled in Russia I know that bath-plugs are non existent in hotels for that very reason.

I would suggest that it is high time that the rooms and especially the bath rooms are given much needed top-down renovation.

The rooms too are very cold, with cold draughts of outside air blowing through the single glazed sash windows, and although the central heating was full on the room was freezing cold. It brought back so many unhappy memories of childhood, when you had to stay in bed if you wanted to get and keep warm!

The food in the restaurant is excellent, and the service very good. If only the rooms could be renovated to match the standard of the restaurant, I for one would give this venerable old hotel 5 stars, but right now I can only give it 3 stars.

Windemere is about 2 miles away from the lake. Bowness on Windemere, is where there are the boat piers. Boat trips go from Bowness to Lakeside, where you can take a round-trip on a steam train to Haverthwaite, visit the Aquarium, or Motor Museum. All together a very good day's outing.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MervLeic

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post such a comprehensive review and I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused during your stay here.
After personally investigating your comments regarding the bathroom I can assure you all issues have been taken on board, the bath has not been disconnected but there is certainly a problem with the taps and I have a plumber coming to rectify this. Heaters are available on request if guests find their room cold and I am sure would have eased your discomfort had you requested one. I thank you for your kind comments regarding the food & service.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

After staying here for two nights in a standard room... the location of this hotel was great and it is obvious that money has been spent on the decor in lobby and bar areas however the rooms are very disapointing! The rooms need a desperate lick of paint as walls had patches of stains on then and made the room feel dingy. The bed was ok if a little hard...in need of a new mattress soon. The bathroom was clean although the floor could of done with a good scrub round thd edges. Service was ok and the breakfast was good. However, after being given a twin room instead of a double, i was given a different room....with a little persuasion!
Overall, for 80 pound a night i would expect a better room than i recieved and with a little tlc to all rooms this hotel would have a lot of potential.

• Stayed: April 2014
5  Thank lauraandrick
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your stay at the Windermere Hotel. I am sorry to hear that the hotel did not meet your expectations regarding your room your points have been investigated and noted. I truly believe the price you paid of £40 per person Bed & Breakfast is a competitive price here in the Lake District and I am pleased you were happy with the service and breakfast. After investigation it clearly states on your booking via booking.com that you did in fact book a twin not a double and rather than after “a little persuasion” it was after my reception team had jiggled rooms we were able to accommodate your request as a gesture of good will.
Once again thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

I booked this hotel via Shearings for a 4 day break for my parents, as axmas present w/c 31/3/2014. After an initial issue with the double room being rather small with no view I am pleased to say that Giles the Manager dealt with it in a very professional way. This ensured my parents were happy with their room, the food was excellent, although an average size portion, all staff were most friendly and helpful. Windermere and surrounding area's Grasmere etc are absolutely lovely and my parents cannot recommend the area enough. This is a hilly area so suits people that are particulary mobile, take a good pair of walking boots and be prepared to have a lovely relaxing holiday at the hotel and in the area. If you are over 60 and have free bus passes, please remember to take them with you as you can then tour the area (the bus station and railway station is just across the road. Thanks to Giles and his team making sure my parents had a lovely 5 days away, they inform me that they will be back :)

Room Tip: An upper floor room for the views and book twin bedded rooms as a lot more decent size than a double...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Leanne L

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for such a complimentary review. I was pleased we were able to resolve your parents issues and that they enjoyed the rest of their stay here. Our surroundings are indeed second to none I am very lucky to live here and I am glad to hear your parents enjoyed the area so much. Your comments regarding the service, food and staff will as always be passed on in our monthly meeting.
I look forward to welcoming your parents on their return in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights with Shearings Hotel and Country coach package. The hotel is located quite high above Lake Windermere and our room had a lovely view of the lake, which is about a 20 minute walk. Not ideal for anyone with mobility problems due to the steepness of the location, but very close to the bus and train station.
The room was fine with plenty of storage and the bed very comfortable. We were half-board and the table d'hote food was very good, although you could choose from the a la carte menu for a supplement, which we did on one evening. My only criticism would be the shower over the bath which was like light rain!
The coach was very comfortable and the Russian driver excellent. Excellent value for money break. Recommended.

Room Tip: Its worth paying the supplement to get a lake view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GenieG45
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you so much for posting such a great review, I am delighted you found your stay here excellent.
Your comment regarding your shower has been noted and will be investigated.
It is great to hear that the coach was comfortable and you were happy with your driver and I must agree that both weekend & midweek breaks are excellent value for money at this present time.
I sincerely hope you will come back to visit us in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

stayed here in early march as part of a Shearings Grand Tourer break,

stayed in room 40 which was comfortable, but a long way from reception/bar etc but I found that easier to walk down the stairs and through the car park as it seemed a shorter route, had one small issue with the handle on the shower door coming off but that was soon fixed.

Food was excellent as were the waiting staff particularly Csbonas (I think that was his name or something similar)

The only thing I was unhappy about was when you came down to breakfast at 7.30, when you went to book your evening meal time all the early slots had gone, only 7.45 or 8.15 slots left, I had on a couple of occasions asked the night before about booking for the next day but was told that wasn't possible, just a little something that maybe needs reviewing

I do however feel that the company have spoilt the hotel by swapping the bar and restaurant areas around especially having to pass through the restaurant to use the toilets, I remember the hotel from the early 90's and things were better with a much bigger restaurant, still I guess they think this is progress.

Our coach driver Joanne was also excellent with a great knowledge of the area, but then being a local girl helps.

Will definitely be returning again later in the year on a longer Grand Tourer break

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank alemonster

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent stay here at the Windermere Hotel.
I am pleased to hear you were happy with most aspects of your stay. With regards to your comment about booking your evening meal I apologise for any inconvenience caused. You will be happy to know this matter was investigated and subsequently changed and is working very well.
I will pass on your kind comments to Csaba & Joanne I am sure they will be delighted with the mention.
I look forward to welcoming you back later in the year.