“Windermere”

Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“Windermere”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Reading the last 2 reviews I thought I stayed in a different Hotel than them, I was able to book an early evening meal for the week. I have been to lots of Shearings Hotels coach and selfdrive. We picked The Windermere as a selfdrive holiday to tour the Lakes it was a very good choice as the hotel had friendly staff very good food and clean rooms. We had a room at the back so we had no traffic noise. Reading Helsan 24 review I was there at the same time, I have never come across guests like you asking staff their names , then calling them over to get you everything you want making them runround after you. You even had a table reserved so no one else could sit at that table. and you only gave the Hotel average.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Trena F
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review, I am delighted to hear you were pleased with all aspects of your stay.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Windermere Hotel in the not too distant future.

Giles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Adelaide S.A.
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Firstly must say ALL the staff went the extra mile to meet all requests including Giles the Manager. Travellers should appreciate that waiters etc from European countries don't always understand OUR accents so maybe we should be a little more understanding of theirs! We had some special requests because we usually choose accomodation and food of a higher (more expensive) standard and they were readily met. Suffice to say with this Shearings holiday we got what we paid for.! The drivers were excellent by the way........
Don't usually travel with coach groups but found our fellow travellers good company.
A constructive comment is about the outdoor seating........there isn't enough. However you could dig out a ramp down to the flat grassed area at the front of the hotel and scatter the grass with tables, umbrellas and stacking chairs. Guests would certainly sit there in fine weather and you would increase sales of drinks and afternoon teas for example. (By the way, we taught Zuzana to make a Dry Martini. She's a delight, most helpful, and keen to learn. Don't let her go!).

Room Tip: Pay a little more for a room with a view. Pay even more for a large room!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Helsan24
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay here. I am pleased your special requests were met. I will pass on your kind comments to the drivers and of course our lovely Zuzana.
Your comments regarding the outdoor seating has been noted and taken on-board.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Positives - good location, clean and most staff were nice.

Negatives - tiny rooms, shower faulty, beds are not comfortable and as this is a Shearings place we were struggling to get near the restaurant for breakfast which was not possible until 8am anyway. When we got there and were desperate to get off quickly we tried to order a cooked breakfast as soon as we could - the waiter told me that I was not allowed to order breakfast until I'd finished my cereal! Like being back at school. When it arrived it was a very small portion.

I suspect this is now a hotel that caters for coach parties and happens to sell spare rooms to others with all that entails.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Eddie3003
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review regarding your stay here at the Windermere Hotel.
I would like to thank you for your positives comments.
I am disappointed with the fact that you were not satisfied with your room and I apologise for this.
With regards to your Breakfast experience, as you can probably appreciate any hotel which holds over 120 guests mealtimes can be extremely busy.
We are part of the Shearings Group and yes we do cater for coaches. We do not have spare rooms but we do sell unoccupied rooms on various websites at a competitive price.
Wallasey, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Never stayed in Windermere before, stayed in Keswick really loved the location of the hotel, and a short walk to the bus station and railway station. Found Bowness a lovely place, and had a trip on the lake. Hotel was good, and staff very helpful. Food was nice also. Had a room with a view over lake Windermere, well worth paying a bit extra.

Room Tip: Worth paying the extra for a see view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rosalie O
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post a review I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay here. I would have to agree it is definitely worth paying a little bit extra for a scenic view in such a beautiful location.
Hopefully we will see you again in the not too distant future.

Witney, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

My wife and I just had a 3-night stay at the Windermere and luckily during the nice hot weather. Whilst we don't have any major complaints there were one or two niggling issues that mean we are unlikely to stay here again. The room was at the far end in a sort of alcove over the car park which cost £5 per day to park and although this was mentioned when booking we thought this was to guarantee a space; we were not told that we'd have to park somewhere unspecified up the road in a public car park until we got the confirmation.
The room was clean and okay but dated with window frames that hadn't seen a lick of paint in a while. Unlike a previous reviewer, we did find the rocker switch for the TV after a call to reception (you'd have thought the person preparing the room would have thought of making sure it was on). The mattress compressed to about an inch when sitting or laying down. The bathroom was big and very clean, probably recently re-furbished, but it was like a contortionist test trying to stand under the shower over the bath as they had rather cleverly placed a huge hand-rail right where you need to stand to get under the shower (someone else mentioned this also). They also positioned the shower curtain rail 6 inches inside the bath edge so even if you manage to get under the shower you had the curtain all over you. There were also no rails or hooks to hang the towels and the towel rail was the opposite end of the large room so it was either put the bath towel on the floor or hang it over the rail so it could get wet by the shower.
We were on the half board package (£100 per night) but ate from the a la carte menu some of the time through not fancying the choices on table d'hote. You get £6 off the main and £3 off starter and dessert so paid an additional cost of over £50 for 3 days.
The food was okay but nothing to write home about - a rare sirloin steak was indeed rare and tender but had no real taste and was probably too low a heat on the chargill (assuming it was). The lamb shank (a la carte) was very good but I very much doubt the "roast beef" (table d'hote) was actually sliced from a roast joint as it was exactly the same as the uniformly thin tasteless packet braised beef slices my mother used to use in the 60's. My wife left all of her bread & butter pudding saying it was just toasted bread in watery custard. I had the full english one morning (1 bacon, one sausage, a fried egg, a hash brown and half a tentatively grilled tomato) which was okay except for the "cumberland sausage" which was the size of my little finger and should have been an embarassment to the people giving it their name. The service was attentive and pleasant and we only had to wait a while a couple of times.
Overall it was decent enough stay and the staff were very nice (as you'd expect from a hotel used by the more mature Shearings guests, but nothing stood out to make us use it again. Compared to say the Brittania Excelsior on Lake Como which we've used several times with Shearings, the Windermere has some work to do.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Russell A
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your recent review. I am sorry to hear that your expectations were not met during your stay at the Windermere Hotel and you feel that nothing stood out to make you use us again.
All your points have been taken on board and I thank you once again for your review.

Bingley
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed here in June when attending a friends wedding in the Lake District. When we arrived all the parking was reserved, when I went to Reception to ask about parking i was told that it was £5 to reserve a bay. Needless to say we paid up but perhaps that could have been explained before we arrived. The gentleman on Reception was fabulous, very friendly and helpful every time we saw him.
Our room was down in the annexe. It was a large room with views onto the car park. As we were only there for one night that didn't bother us. We couldn't get the TV to work but found out that there is a rocker switch that can be knocked off by the cleaners but we couldn't find it. Again it wasn't a real problem. The shower wasn't amazing, the safety rail over the bath made it awkward for getting in and under the shower and the hot water was intermittent. The bed was a bit lumpy but we had an alright sleep.
At breakfast time we were told to sit at any table for two. Unfortunately there were no cleared tables and the waiter was upset when we cleared a table for ourselves. Took a while to come and take the order, breakfast was okay but limited toast and coffee were brought.
Over all it was a nice overnight stay and would go and stay again if I needed an hotel in Windermere.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank HappycoupleBingley
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review regarding your overnight stay at the Windermere Hotel.
There are some points in your review which I will be investigating and I thank you for bringing them to my attention. I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the Lake District.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My wife and I have just spent 4 nights. At. the Windemere Hotel.The weather was Hot Hot Hot! The only cool place was on or by the lakes,,which was wonderful. First the bedroom,we paid we for a view which was very nice but we had to close the window because it overlooked a main road and we could hear the traffic, it was uncomfortably hot at night,having said that the bed was clean and comfortable, I don't know why people grumble about the bedrooms being small, we only use it to sleep in, the ensuite was quite large with a bath and overhead shower nothing to grumble about there. The breakfasts were very good, but it would have been nice to have fresh fruit instead of tinned I am diabetic and cannot eat it. The evening meals were not so good, but adequate. I cannot eat sweet desserts, but the only cheese and biscuits (which I usually have) were on the a la carte menu which I refused to pay, I thought I had paid enough for the half board. The staff were all foreign and very polite and friendly, especially Rumond (I bet I have spelt that wrong) he called all the ladies 'My Lady' Would we go again? I have mobility problems and could not have managed without my own car, we spent a small fortune on car parks,but it was worth it. Would we go again, Yes, but it would have to be a last minute booking next time, so we could be sure of good weather again.

Room Tip: Don't pay for a room with a view they overlook a main road
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Robert L
Dear Reviewer

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted that on the whole you enjoyed our stay. Your various comments regarding the food have been noted.
Thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff, especially Ramon, he will be chuffed he has got a mention.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Windermere Hotel, weather permitting!!