“Unprofessional”

Hooked
Ranked #2 of 77 Restaurants in Windermere
Price range: US$26 - US$40
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Fantastic range of seafood, cooked fresh to order. Menu changes daily depending on what comes in from the local supplier in Fleetwood.
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

After my girlfriend left a review of our poor experience with the owner of the restaurant I have received numerous calls and texts over the past day and a half.

At first they started out pleasant but then they became more insistent and towards the end just down right rude.

As the previous review said the booking was messed up and it was dealt with badly upon arrival. That was it dealt with as far as I was concerned and we found another restaurant to dine in that evening.

When we arrived home that night I had a couple of voicemails to firstly apologise and secondly to tell us that he could make a table available if we were still interested, which we were not.

Throughout the course of today I have had numerous missed calls and tonight I started getting texts. I had explained that I did not want to be bothered and that the moment had passed and I was no longer in Windermere, I was then further bombarded with texts explaining that it was my fault we could not dine as we turned up early despite when making the booking we had been told to be prompt. I then had a final text explaining that I must be perfect and never make mistakes... In fact I will just screen shot the conversation and add to photos.

Very unprofessional!

21  Thank Tom1988uk1234

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed in Windermere for 3 nights and pre booked all restaurants (they get fully booked). We couldn't fault it. Fish so flavoursome and atmosphere great. Don't be put off by appearance of restaurant as quality, atmosphere and service brilliant. We will definitely return when in Windermere.

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Having booked a table an hour and a half prior we were asked by the owner on the phone to ensure that we were on time, we made sure that we were early only to be told on arrival that they didn't have our reservation. After checking that we had definitely called the correct restaurant, as well as our name and number we had called from it became apparent that the owner had only reserved us a table for 2 instead of for 4 and told us that there was no room for us. We explained that it was him that took the reservation and it was definitely for 4...his reply was 'I'm sorry I don't answer the phone very often' How ridiculous! As the owner of an apparently successful restaurant, one would imagine that taking a reservation over the telephone was within his range of capabilities! I am personally not a huge fan of writing derogatory reviews on here, as we work in the restaurant industry ourselves and know how damaging they can be particularly to small businesses but when I eat out I fully expect the manager/owner to be able to do their job well as we are expected to do in our own businesses! This gentleman didn't appear to have any clue what he was doing and wasn't even able to find an extra 2 chairs for the table that was waiting for us. We were only in the area for 1 evening and were looking forward to a nice meal with friends. Luckily we found a nice little Italian down the road!

10  Thank Kgro85
mge119, Manager at Hooked, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2014

Dear Reviewer
I would like to apologise for the situation which occurred the other night.
Unfortunately it was a case of miscommunication and timing.
We are only a small restaurant and are fully booked every single night, hence what I said was “I generally do not have time to answer the phone during service” as we receive over a dozen phone calls call during service every single night.
On this particular occasion when I answered the phone I was expecting another customer who was booked in at 8.30pm and was messing me about. Hence I took your name and number. So at 7.30, when this other customer cancelled his table, I did call you back to offer you the table. My error was I did not ask you ‘How many guests?” as I wrongly assumed it was for a two. I put my hand up and say YES, my mistake, human error and I apologise.
Now I had asked you to arrive on time at 8.30pm, in fact you and your friends arrived at 8.10pm. That is 20 minutes early, and as I only had a table for two available at the time, I declined your entry. I did not realise how early you actually were and we had other customers due to arrive. I did try and call you 5 minutes later but your phone was off. So if you had arrived on time at 8.30pm, as agreed, a table for four would have been available and everybody would be happy.
I do not take any pleasure from turning people away from the restaurant but some nights I turn away more people that I can feed.
Moral of this story…
Firstly - If you really want to dine at Hooked, please call the restaurant during the afternoon between 1pm and 5pm or send an e-mail. Do not call the restaurant during service unless you are happy to leave a message to be returned the following day.
Secondly – Please arrive on time, not 20 minutes early or 20 minutes late, just ON TIME.
Thank you for taking the time to read my response

Reviewed 8 July 2014

My husband and I ate here on our honeymoon, we stayed in Windermere for a week and ate somewhere different every night. This was by far our favourite meal and restaurant.
The owner was very helpful making recommendations on food and wine, the restaurant had a lovely atmosphere, the food was delicious and the cheesecake to die for!
From reading the other reviews, in our experience, the owner seems determined that his diners have a good experience so would book in advance as if you just turn up he won't jeopardise others experience to fit you in.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

This restaurant is small, but packs a punch. The quality of the food and wine absolutely blew me away. Honestly can't remember when I had a better meal. My recommendation is the mussels! The owner is very friendly and personable, and is very much involved in the service, which flowed excellently. He called me earlier in the day in response to my email to make sure we got the booking for that night. Extremely high attention to detail. Very highly recommended. A couple of things to beware of, there is only seafood on the menu, make sure you book!!