“Amazing experience.”

Langdale Chase Hotel
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Reviewed 1 July 2012

As I pulled up at the hotel the first thing I thought was wow this is beautiful, as I went in to the hotel the staff were lovely and very friendly and we were greeted straight away and shown to our room. The room itself was incredible so large a lovely big bed and a separate area to sit. I had food from the bar menu which was beautiful, I used the hotels own bar on the evening and the staff again were friendly and welcoming and had a chat it made the experience at the hotel unbeatable. The hotels is not just somewhere to stay its an experience and one I will definitely go back to. The hotel staff were unbeatable in the friendly nature and the service they offered and that's what made the visit. I had breakfast at the langdale chase and the choice was fantastic and delivered quickly staff were very attentive and nothing was too much for them.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone as the service, food and staff are all fantastic and make the stay a great experience and when coupled with views across the lake there is nothing that could be improved!!

Room Tip: My room was numer 23 and I found it to be fantastic very quiet and even though positioned at the top...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Claire W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,139)

Reviewed 1 July 2012

We stayed in this hotel for the weekend and have had an amazing time. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff and we were made to feel like the most important people in the world. The room was amazing with a beautiful four poster bed a separate tv room and a gorgeous bathroom. The shower was perfect and the complimentary toiletries were lovely. The bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in and the bedding was superior quality. The hotel itself is full of fantastic furniture and has a vast history which is explained by the owners in great detail. The view over the lake is breathtaking even on a cloudy day and the grounds, which lead to the waters edge, are beautiful and a joy to walk around. This is a hotel that is well worth visiting and it will be a place you will want to return to. The food was excellent and again the service was superior with a great menu. There is free wi-fi in certain areas of the hotel and the signal is strong in these areas. Over all a fantastic weekend in a beautiful location in a hotel that is amazing with fantastic staff led by a couple who have excellent communication and people skills making you feel special. Thank you all so much

Room Tip: We went with friends who had rooms in different areas of the hotel and all rooms were of an excellen...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chris A
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Returned to the Langdale Chase yesturday for Sunday Lunch to celebrate our 1st Wedding Anniversary. It was lovely to return to the venue of our Wedding & the Roast Beef was so so nice. Just wish we lived a bit closer

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank IanandTerri
Management response:Responded 28 June 2012

Many thanks for your lovely comments regarding your recent visit to the Langdale Chase. It is always so nice to welcome couples back for their Wedding Anniversary. The food which we serve in the Restaurant is freshly prepared using only the finest local produce. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel for many more anniversaries to come.

Reviewed 24 June 2012

Ffrom the moment we contacted the Langdale to talk about our wedding to the day before the wedding when our party all stayed at the hotel to the day of the wedding to the day after the wedding - we couldn't have been treated better, made to feel more special. Every part of our experience with the Langdale was superb in every way - we could not fault it or the service we received and the staff were just wonderful. The hotel is an experience in itself. Our wedding at the hotel was just the best we could have ever imagined. The hotel was a magnificent backdrop for the wedding, the location was amazing, the staff were superb, our rooms were luxurious, the food was fantastic - what more can I say ............. we had the most wonderful experience of our lives and will remember it forever. Thank you to all the staff at the Langdale.

Room Tip: We had rooms on the first floor overlooking the lake - there was no noise and it was excellent to wa...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Susan C
Management response:Responded 28 June 2012

Thank you so much for your lovely comments regarding your Wedding at the Langdale Chase. Reading such lovely comments about your big day, and it makes all the hard work seem worthwhile when we realise both myself and the team have made all your dreams come true. We look forward to welcoming you back for your first anniversary and all the anniversaries to come. Many thanks again.

Andrew Tighe and all the Langdale Chase Team

Reviewed 15 June 2012

We stayed recently overnight in room 51, it is accessed via the resteraunt
The room is large with a fabulous view and very clean,however the decor is in need of an update. Stained, tired wallpaper near to the bed that has small pieces torn off . Chipped yellowing paintwork on the door frame to the bathroom, inside the ceiling paper is peeling and in need of a repaint at least. The main room was cold and radiators didn't come on when thermostat turned up.
When we leave a room for the last time I always take off the pillow slips and duvet cover to assess the hotels attention to detail / cleanliness (I'm a nurse/midwife) disappointingly I found stains all over polyester pillows and duvet, the spare blanket was acryllic.
The food and service were very good, staff were very curteous.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank julieannainsworth
Management response:Responded 28 June 2012

Many thanks for your comments about your recent stay at the Langdale Chase. We value all guest comments and take on board all aspects of criticism and pass it onto the necessary department heads along with our dedicated maintenance team, and all of our bedrooms are subject to annual upgrades.

I am pleased you enjoyed the fabulous views we have from the bedrooms and public rooms. Our of staff are all highly trained and we pride ourselves on the high calibre staff we have most of whom have been with us a long time, and hope fully we will welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 10 June 2012

The hotel fronts on Lake Windermere and has acres of gorgeous gardens. Since it's hard to get to the Lake in many places, this is a great chance to walk along the lake and enjoy the view. (The azaleas and rhodies were in full bloom when we were there.)
The rooms are large and comfortable. There is light to read at night, but the rooms need some room darkening curtains. Also, there is no luggage stand and no drawers for clothing - odd, as this is a place designed for a multi-day gracious stay.
That said, I would absolutely go back to this hotel - it was a highlight of our trip.

On the other hand, the restaurant was the slowest we have ever been in. Dinner took 2 hours, and they very proper English lady at the next table said to her husband, "If this meal takes any longer I'm going to ask them to serve breakfast." Breakfast was also very slow, and a bit less than I'd expect at a hotel of this quality (e.g. paltry fruit salad.) The pub dinner was faster, but all in all I think I'd look elsewhere for dinner. A shame as this should be a five-star-all-the-way hotel.

Front desk staff was very helpful

Internet works only in one of the (quite dark) public rooms.

All (except dinner) is forgiven because of the loveliness of the rooms and gardens.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ready2Go2008
AndrewTighe, General Manager at Langdale Chase Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2012

I am so pleased that you both enjoyed the fabulous gardens and views which we are blessed with here at the Langdale Chase Hotel and also pleased to read you found the rooms spacious and comfortable, however the curtains which are in our bedrooms are fully lined to black out the sunlight.

I am pleased you said you would come back but very concerned that you would not have dinner. Here at the Langdale Chase, we allow for a nice relaxed speed of service as there is nothing worse than being rushed in and out of a restaurant. To allow 2 hours for dinner I don’t feel is an overly long time when you consider canapés are served before dinner followed by starter, main course and dessert, followed by coffee and petit fours. However I do apologise that you felt it was too long a wait for you, however on your next visit, should you choose to have diner I would be more than happy to tell the chef you would like it served quicker.

I was also concerned to read your comments about breakfast, the breakfast which we serve offers a great variety of cereals, fruit, yoghurts, fresh pastries along with a great range of fresh juices, then followed by your cooked to order option of a Traditional English Breakfast, kippers, haddock, smoked salmon and porridge, and this is over and above the 3 star rating we are granted.

In conclusion though I am pleased that you have said it will not put you off coming back and both myself and my team are looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 30 May 2012

We had our wedding here on 13th May 2012 and it was perfect. The room we had was in the lakehouse and it was furnished to a high standard, the bathroom was well fitted with roll top bath and walk in shower and was spacious. We had a balcony overlooking lake windermere and the views were superb. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful and made our wedding day a day to remember. The ceremony was in the Baronial Hall which served as a wonderful "arena" with a minstrel balcony around it, we sat in elegant medieval chairs and felt like a king and queen. The ambience was brilliant. The food served for the wedding breakfast was wonderful and everyone enjoyed it. I would recommend as a wedding venue to anyone - the pictures we have with the views and the beauty of the hotel will keep our wonderful memories of this day alive forever.

Room Tip: Room in the lakehouse was quite with wonderful views.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple