“Staying in the Lakes try here first !”

Langdale Chase Hotel
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Reviewed 8 September 2012

Have just returned from two nights at this Hotel and was a real treat ! We have just celebrated our 43rd. Wedding Anniversary by staying here.In my experience Hotels promise over the phone but generally fail to deliver.My Wife who booked this holiday organised a room with a Lake/Garden view and was well worth it.The Hotel gave us on the first night the best table in the restaurant and the second night a private room with candles ! Best Anniversary Dinner ever ! The Staff are very friendly,professional and enthusiastic with the food unsurpassed.This Hotel is three star rating which does it no justice it should be five ! We have booked again for a two night stay in December and looking forward to our stay.

Room Tip: If you are disabled stay in the main hotel as we were up a small bank to the Hotel.A very private ro...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank distanttraveller77
AndrewTighe, General Manager at Langdale Chase Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2012

May I thank you personally for your very kind words following your recent stay. The private dining room you were given is my favourite room in the hotel and it is just so perfect for anniversary dinners. I am so pleased the staff looked after you so well and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in December.

Reviewed 6 September 2012

We recently stayed at the hotel for the weekend and really had a lovely time. As soon as you turn off the main road onto the hotel driveway you are met with breath taking views. We were greeted by a very friendly receptionist. Our room was very clean, infact spotless and had lovely lake views, the only thing that would improve the view is if the pretty bush in front of the window was trimmed back slightly so that you could really take full advantage of the views. The staff were absolutely lovely, the Scottish barman/waiter was very humerous and made me feel much better as my 2 year old decided she was going to have all the tantrums she could possibly have at the hotel that weekend. (She is normally a well mannered lovely girl.... honest)! We had breakfast and dinner at the hotel and couldnt fault the meals at all, really good value for money. We have now booked our wedding with the hotel for next year and we really are looking forward to it. I can't praise the staff enough, they were all so friendly and helpful. Beautiful hotel, stunning location.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank bridie c
AndrewTighe, General Manager at Langdale Chase Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

Many thanks for your kind words regarding your recent stay at the hotel, and I have spoken to our gardening team regarding this bush and they have said they will trim it back once it has finished flowering. I am so pleased you booked your wedding with us and both myself and my team will do everything to ensure your big day is everything you dream it will be.

Reviewed 2 September 2012

I felt I was misled when booking the room. The impression given is that you stay in the main hotel not The Lake House. Through the trees you can see some water so it could be loosely described as a lake view. Also cracked flooring and sink, with dated furniture. Overall very overpriced and not value for money.

Room Tip: Be very specific when booking and ask "am I in the main hotel"
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Phil J
AndrewTighe, General Manager at Langdale Chase Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2012

In response to this review, first and foremost all confirmation correspondence states whether you are in the main house, Lakehouse or boathouse, this room was booked using our online booking module, and confirmation automatically gets sent stating the location of the bedroom. All of the Reception team are fully trained if it is a telephone enquiry to inform the guest of the location of the rooms and if they were to be in the Lakehouse the location of the building.

On inspection of the room I can see no sign of cracked sink or floor tiles.

The Lakehouse is only 3 and a half years old, it has state of the art furnishings, wall mounted flat screen TV, wet rooms in the bathrooms and roll top baths and is more of a 5 star rating than our 3 star, so to say the furniture is dated is bewildering and mind boggling. As for the comment about the view of the lake, we were recently voted “The best view in Britain”, and the Lakehouse is situated only 20 metres from the lake.

Reviewed 28 August 2012

The hotel was almost everything a great British hotel should be. It is a wonderful well maintained historic building with probably the best views (over Windermere) of any UK hotel I've ever stayed in. The restaurant was excellent with quality food served with pleasant efficiency. The cons were few but there were some, bar prices were ridiculous e.g.almost £6 for a small glass of "English" Rose, we were in a fairly recently and very sympathetically built annex, like the main building it was well fitted and maintained with magnificent balcony views but the room smelled of inadequate attention to cleaning.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Mike_Emberton
AndrewTighe, General Manager at Langdale Chase Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2012

I read with great pleasure your comments regarding your recent stay with us, however was a little concerned with the comments regarding the inadequate attention to cleaning. Our housekeepers are meticulous in every aspect of their work and take great pride in everything they do. Our head housekeeper has been with us for over 7 years and leads his team of 5 which he has behind him.

Reviewed 26 August 2012

We stayed here for two nights celebrating our friends wedding anniversary, they had booked the whole of the hotel for the two nights and filled it with family and friends.
The staff were helpful and friendly and the organisation was very good. We found our room had a great view of the lake and gardens, we even watched rabbits running about on the lawn.
On the down side our bathroom only had a small glass shelf above the washbasin, there was no where to lay out toiletries and cosmetics and one of the large floor tiles close to the door was broken and care was needed not to tread on it, (I did report it when leaving).
On the first night the meal was a buffet which was good and most people enjoyed it, the only downside to it was the only plates available were cold so the hot food cooled down very quickly.
We had the same problem at both breakfast times, again a help yourself buffet but the plates available were cold, I was surprised a hotel of this calibre did not appear to have a plate warming piece of equipment similar to what I have seen in other hotels.
The evening meal we had on the Saturday was good, the staff were very pleasant and the service was again well organised.
As other people have mentioned the Bar prices were a bit on the high side especially the small 187ml. bottles of wine which were served if you asked just for a glass of wine. There were a number of draught lagers but only one draught bitter, other bitters were all bottled beers.
It is obviously a very popular wedding venue which is understandable when you see the excellent views and well kept gardens.

Room Tip: Lake views a must, might be a bit more expensive but well worth it.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank rogangbel

Many thanks for taking the time to review the Hotel and after you reported the broken tile this was repaired straight away.

Our bar prices are in line with all hotels in the area and in some instances are cheaper than our lesser competitors. I am so pleased that the staff were helpful and friendly towards you and we do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 26 August 2012

I had long since wanted to stay at the Langdale Chase having passed its familiar red squirrel sign on many Lakeland holidays in the past and now at the ripe old age of 60 something I had my chance.

The view from the room was fabulous. We had asked for a lake view but I really wanted to see the Langdale Pikes from my window and that is exactly what we got from room 2. Brilliant. The staff really are the crown jewels here – so friendly and helpful. Need an iron? I phoned reception and one was there in a minute. Fresh milk please? The same response. When we couldn’t get a picture on the T.V. Jay (I think that was his name) came straight away and sorted it out for us. The bar staff and the waiters were all lovely and very ready to have a chat. I thought they were very well trained. Just one minor point here …… perhaps being referred to as “you guys” may not cut the mustard with some of the older guests? The meals we had were very good indeed – so a special thanks to the chef and his staff. However, credit must go to all the staff not forgetting the gardener who does a magnificent job; the grounds are just wonderful.

As this is a fabulous setting it is understandable that the hotel holds many weddings and there was a wedding party both days we were there. On arrival the signage indicated we could not use the front entrance as there was a function being held. Understandably the hotel protects its wedding guests but we had to creep round the back way in feeling we had been relegated to the tradesman’s entrance. We registered and were told we had to go up the back stairs because the hallway was set out for the wedding (it wasn’t in progress at that point) and so the main stairway was out of bounds. There was no offer of help to carry our cases and so we struggled up the back stairs with them. So be aware, if you are elderly there is no lift (I guess because it is a listed building). Men are proud and don’t like to ask, but I know my husband found that difficult & I couldn’t manage a case at all – I wanted to be able to walk afterwards!

Because of the wedding party on the first day we were unable to use certain areas of the hotel e.g. The Piano Room was being used that evening and I would have loved to have taken my coffee in there after dinner.... so there is a potential of individuals being unable to use the public areas. There was also a ‘corporate’ party of film makers……. Lovely people, but if you make rules like “smart casual” for the dress code for the restaurant then you should abide by them. We dressed up, but one chap had a black t-shirt and ripped jeans and another wore a grey ‘hoodie’. It doesn’t matter if they are with a celebrity (he looked very smart by the way) the rule should be adhered to – or is that just ‘old-fashioned’ nowadays?

Other reviews refer to the state of the decoration and I must add my observations on that point. Our room enjoyed a lovely position with a fabulous view, but it badly needs a re-furb. The wallpaper is torn and has black marks in places, the curtains are tired, faded and the tie backs are worn. As they are blue and yellow they seemed mismatched with the lovely carpet which is a cherry red. There is no socket near the kettle so it has to be placed on the floor to boil, which I think could be dangerous as it then needs lifting back up to the mugs. The bathroom had no where for toiletries, so our toilet bags had to stay on the floor…… a shelf would help. The bath panel is badly cracked and the toilet roll holder is a joke! It fell on the floor each time it was used. Oh yes, and the soundproofing is non-existent between room 1 and 2. I was woken several times during night and could tell you each and every time the occupants visited the toilet. Every cough can be heard & I could tell you their names too as I heard almost every word of their conversation.

As I said, these points are ‘the devil in the detail’ and didn’t spoil our stay over all. My criteria is always “would I come back?” And my answer has to be a resounding “yes”.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Birdbrain1948

I read with mixed thoughts your comments regarding your recent stay with us. First and foremost I am pleased that you found the staff both helpful and courteous and read with delight your comments about the food, our head chef leads a team of 5 strong in the kitchen and prides himself on the quality of food he and his team delivers.

The comments about the Wedding taking place, we are in the height of season now and we are a very popular wedding venue, and when a Ceremony is taking place out of privacy to the Wedding party we place a sign at the front door directing guests in the Conservatory door. This is only for 20 minutes or so whilst the Ceremony is taking place, but under no circumstances is it a tradesman’s entrance, you walk around a panoramic terrace offering unrivalled views across Windermere.

I am pleased that you have said that you will return to the hotel and I know my team will ensure that your stay is an enjoyable one when you do.

Reviewed 25 August 2012

We got married here on the 8th August, 2012 on a gorgeous sunny day (especially for the Lakes!!). Ben was our host for the day and we would just like to thank him and the team for making our day extra special. From the moment we arrived to the last thing at night he was professional, calming and looked after us all very well. The food was absolutely amazing (well done chefs!!) and we all thoroughly enjoyed the day. We loved the Langdale Chase from the moment we saw it due to its magnificent backdrop and the overall welcome we got after just 'popping in' for a wedding brochure.
Everbody really enjoyed the day and we hope to return for our anniversary next year.
Thanks again.
Wendy & Gary.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Wendy S

Thank you so much for your kind words and praise following your recent wedding here at the Hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your big day and I so look forward to welcoming you back for many anniversaries to come.

Andrew TIghe