Langdale Chase Hotel
Windermere Manor Hotel(Windermere)(Great Value!)
US$213
Craig Manor Hotel(Windermere)
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
1,163 results
All reviewsbaronial hallwedding venuestunning viewsboat housesmall weddingwedding breakfastmain buildingbeautiful hotelwonderful weddinglake districtdaughters weddingperfect settingsecond to nonelog fireroll top bathfrom start to finishwalk in shower
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Two of our friends had stayed at this hotel and recommended it to us. We’d see the TV programme featuring it, so decided to put ourselves on the emailing list (Sign up on their Special Offers web page). An offer turned up in September which was for three nights for the price of two with two night’s dinners included, so we booked the first week in October. The weather was wonderful for the four days we were there and we started off with lunch on the patio.

The room we were given had the unusual feature of the washbowl being outside the en-suite bathroom. I think this was so they could maximise the views over Lake Windermere through the windows on two sides. As long as the washbowl isn’t in the corridor I don’t mind, but for my wife this was a showstopper. The staff were very accommodating and took my wife on a tour of other available rooms in the hotel. Inevitably, the room she liked best was an upgrade, but with truly spectacular views. The extra charge was very reasonable so we took up the offer. All our clothes and bags were re-located without any bother to ourselves.

The staff (from all four corners of the UK) were all very courteous and helpful throughout our stay and the food was good. I had buffet breakfasts of cereal, fresh fruit and toast and my wife had cooked breakfasts which were served at the table. Some of the furniture looked a little worn, but generally the hotel is well looked after.

The hotel is just off the main Windermere to Ambleside road so the traffic is audible at the back of the hotel during the day. Our room faced the front, so it wasn’t a problem.

We had a ‘plumbing malfunction’ in out bathroom on the third day. While maintenance were sorting it out, the door to the next suite (fortunately unoccupied) was opened so we could use its bathroom. (I think it’s when something goes wrong you see how good an organisation is, and this hotel performed in a textbook manner).

Room Tip: You must specify a room with a lake view otherwise you'll have missed the best thing about this hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank RobinLLJ
AndrewTighe, General Manager at Langdale Chase Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2013

Thank you for your recent review and I am pleased that the staff looked after you so royally on your recent visit. The 3 for 2 offer which we have in place off season is a really fabulous offer and is well worth taking us up on. Please be sure to keep checking on the special offers and come back and visit us soon.

Reviewed 21 January 2013

My partner and I stayed at this lovely hotel on Saturday night.. From the minute we checked in we found the staff to be friendly, helpful and attentive. Our room was extremely spacious and comfortable with the added bonus of having breathtaking views across the Lake. We spent the evening enjoying a bottle of wine(or two!) in front of a roaring fire and the staff made sure we had everything we needed. Breakfast was good and once again the views from the restaurant were superb. We enjoyed our time here so much that we are considering returning again this weekend.

Room Tip: The Lake view rooms are the best
4  Thank ALISON M
AndrewTighe, General Manager at Langdale Chase Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2013

Thank you for your lovely review following your recent stay. Here at the Langdale Chase, we pride ourselves on our location and high calibre members of the team most of which have been with us for a considerable length of time now. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 21 January 2013

Stayed a Sunday night in a de luxe bedded room with lake view . Very relaxing with great views out over the lake. Wonderful bath + separate shower - highly recommended ( room 85) Did not eat at hotel in evening but breakfast first rate again with great views.
Very good value especially if you sign up for hotels emails with special offers .
Room was in new building . Main hotel building full of character .
Ideal base for a tour of the Lakes and close to Motorway .
Would recommend + would return without hesitation .

3  Thank TSO

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your lovely kind words following your recent stay in our Lakehouse, which is situated within the grounds of the hotel. Please be sure to come and visit us again, where we will endeavour to make your stay another enjoyable one.

Reviewed 20 January 2013

I would like to go on record with my thanks to the Langdale Chase Hotel.
Our two young children saved up and bought my wife and I a weekend break at the Langdale Chase as a xmas present so we were very much looking forward to it. However due to the horrible weather we have been having we ended up missing our connection and being stranded in Oxenholme. I rang the hotel to explain our situation to say we would be late arriving. I ended up speaking to the Hotel Manager, a Mr Andrew Tighe who told us to wait there and he would send someone to pick us up. As it turned out it was Mr Tighe himself who turned up within 25 mins.
As we were late arriving the hotel kitchen was shut so Mr Tighe offered to re-open the kitchen for as. We politely declined the offer due to tiredness but we greatly touched by the offer.
I cannot speak highly enough of the staff who where friendly and extremely helpful, nothing was a problem. The food was lovely, the rooms beautiful and the views from the rooms were simply stunning which all made for a fantastic break which was in no small part thanks to Mr Tighe and his amazing team.
I would certainly recommend the Langdale Chase to anyone and I will certainly be returning.

3  Thank sevvy1808
AndrewTighe, General Manager at Langdale Chase Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2013

Thank you so much for your lovely review following your recent visit, it was my pleasure to pick you both up from the train station to ensure your safe arrival at the hotel. I was only too pleased to offer you food upon arrival following your late arrival and your stressful journey. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near furture.

Reviewed 15 January 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a 2 night stay here and as a young couple we found it comfortable and relaxing. Normally we wouldn't choose such a place but the rooms were on offer at £80 a night via booking.com which equated to the same as what was being charged for a small B&B around Windermere so why not!
The hotel is situated right on Lake Windermere although it was misty during our stay so the view was restricted. Would be lovely in spring!
We checked in with the help of a friendly receptionist and we were given our key to our upgraded room as it was quiet.
The room itself was spacious with a giant kingsize bed, separate small sitting room with a tv (about 10 channels) tea/coffee making facilities and a fabulous bathroom with separate shower and underfloor heating. The curtains and bedsheets were quite old fashioned and the seating area had tiny armchairs but we weren't too bothered as it was a short stay and it was clean!
We decided to dine out as the hotel's menu didn't appeal to us and was £39.50 a head not including drinks (althought I'm not a wine drinker the wine list was extensive with plenty of variety starting from about £20 a bottle.)
Within the hotel there are sitting areas with large sofas and armchairs scattered around alongside roaring log and coal fireplaces. There is a piano room and a 24 hour bar room which serves snacks although the service was slow. The decor is dated but still works within the setting and it's nice that there is still somewhere not filled to the brim with new technology in an attempt to be boutique. There are lots of oil paintings hanging in the entrance room although I have a feeling they are imitations due to their vandalled appearance on some of them (or maybe there just old!)

Three very good things going for this hotel.
Firstly, it's a hotel that offers wedding packages and has a grand room in the centre of the building for the ceremony. It has a beautiful staircase which I could imagine a bride floating down.
Secondly, its very grand appearance and the hotel's fantastic setting right on the lake. It's impressive. Anyone thinking if having a wedding here would capture the most wonderful photos and memories. The hotel has also been on TV in ITV's The Lakes!
Thirdly your party wouldn't starve the Morning after as they serve a fantastic cooked and cold breakfast with fresh juices and jams in cute little pots served by a very nice Australian chap! The breakfast room also overlooks the well kept gardens and the vast lake.
Overall I would rate this hotel as a high 3* just down to the simplicity of the rooms, creaky floorboards (although the building is 100+ years old) dated decor and it needs a good lick of paint in some places. I can see the appeal of taking elderly relatives here as I saw some guests doing. You can also bring your dog and they have a dedicated doggy exercise area outside which I may consider upon return (with my dog!)
However at a normal room rate of £240+ a night for our room we got at £80 with free upgrade I would only return with a discount as I don't feel it warrants the high rates as lovely as the hotel is. 3.9/5!

• Stayed: January 2013
5  Thank h0lidayl0ver2011
AndrewTighe, General Manager at Langdale Chase Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit, and we are in a perfect location on the banks of Windermere, ideal not only for weddings but also short breaks away.

Whenever we are in quieter times we always place great offers online through our website and it is always worthwhile contacting the hotel directly before booking with the booking agencies. Again whenever we are quiet we offer an upgrade when possible. The paintings in the Baronial Hall are all originals but due to the age of them they are subject to a lot of wear and tear especially with their location.

When we do not have special offers in place our prices are very competitive to all of the local hotels and in a lot of cases are cheaper than our lesser competitors. Our Head Chef prides himself on all of the food which comes out of our kitchen especially his Traditional Cooked breakfast which we constantly get great reviews regarding.

Please be sure to come and visit us again where we look forward to ensuring your stay is an enjoyable and relaxing one.