“Expensive, and worth every penny”

Langdale Chase Hotel
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Reviewed 17 August 2009

My wife and I spent two nights at the Langdale Chase. It was an experience we'll not soon forget. We had a room in the Lake House, with our own terrace and a view that made you want to spend time on that terrace. Check in and check out were fast, easy, and efficient. The staff were helpful and attentive. We've never felt so pampered.

The setting of this hotel is magnificent - stone buildings, manicured grounds, and of course the backdrop of the lake and surrounding scenery. About the only negative we could find was lack of internet access of any kind.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Langdale Chase Hotel

Reviewed 12 August 2009

We chose Langdale for our wedding venue, it was the staircase and jetty that made it our decision so easy. And truly we made the best decision ever - I am still on a high, were do I start - The staff - Faye and Amy (wedding planners) from 10mths ago have kept in contact, replied asap to emails, helped with table planning and rooms allocations, Nick our toast master made our us feel so at ease, explained things and just made our day run smoothly - our room, the view, the lake, the food everything was 5 star quality. We had the best day of our lives, this venue made our wedding day complete and only one word sums up our day PERFECT!! We will return each year - Thank you sincerly Mr and mrs Perrins

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank flutterbye_9
Reviewed 6 August 2009

From 12th - 14th June 2009 we hired the whole of this beautiful hotel for our wedding weekend.

The service we experenced from beginning to end was faultless. The staff were friendly professional and helpful.

All rooms are beautiful, each on is different - most have a lake view, some with balconies, four posters etc.

The food was delicious in the tastefully decorated dining room.

The outlook onto Lake Windermere is breathtaking as are the hotel gardens.

We loved all of it. We will never forget our wonderful wedding at Langdale Chase and plan to return to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary.

• Stayed: June 2009
Reviewed 3 August 2009

Stayed one night as part of a wedding party and the location and gardens make a superb wedding venue. I should state that £280 per room is not my usual budget for a nights B&B so inexperienced as I am in this price bracket, I would expect things to be as pretty near perfect as you can get. And the Langdale Chase has all the right ingredients, large rooms with fantastic views, some outstanding reception rooms not to mention the beautifully kept gardens.

Whilst I would deplore anyone to stay here and not enjoy it, I think there is a lot that could and really at these eye watering costs should be put right to make the experience meet the expectations. A number of the rooms require some redecoration; the bath had the plastic side panel half fitted, half open from the last time the plumbing had required attention along with my usual hotel pet hate, oodles and oodles of white sealant liberally caked to the bath and tiles, some still in place and some having long ago lost its adhesive and left to turn mouldy. In the bedroom, I've often used two singles joined to make one double but this one has to be the worst for feeling like two uncomfortable single beds pushed together with a sheet over the top. If you want to make tea/coffee, the only place to plug the kettle in is on the floor and this for me sums up the Langdale Chase: nothing disastrous worth getting too worked up about, but at this price there are too many things that are not quite right.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank godfreytaylor
TNoblett, Managing Director at Langdale Chase Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2009

First and foremost, with reference to the concerns this guest had with the over pricing of the hotel I have checked into the room billing. The price of £280, which was actually £252, was for a two night stay and included £52 worth of drinks. This, however, does not reflect our rack rates as the guest was part of a house party booking whereabouts the bride and groom allocate all of the bedrooms and decide whether to discount or surcharge the rooms.
Unfortunately, when guests believe they are paying more for a room than they should it leads to them looking further to find fault. I believe that we offer fantastic value for money, and are extremely competitive with our prices compared to other hotels of the same and lesser standard in the area. We always do our utmost to achieve as close to perfection as possible, it is always difficult to cater to everyone’s individual tastes.

Reviewed 30 July 2009

One night stay in July, so take this review as that.

We were originally allocated the boathouse room, located at the bottom of the gardens overlooking lake Windermere. However, on inspection we asked for a room change due to the fact the wall paper above the bed was more than damp and the whole place had a musty/damp smell. The room we were allocated was good in size but for £190.00 a night(B&B) and you can stay at Claridges for £230.00, I really thought it should have been better. Modern flat screen TV; no view, small locker like wardrobe and poor quality shower; I could go on...In need of a re-vamp in my mind. The breakfast was served from 8.00 till 9.30 am but when we arrived at 9.10 they were almost clearing the room and we felt like we were an inconvenience by wanting food.

I know my comments are against most recent reviews but I live in the Lakes and I can tell you that there are far better hotels on the lakeside for this kind of money.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Lakeslad
TNoblett, Managing director at Langdale Chase Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2009

With regards to our poor jewel, the boathouse. As previously mentioned the boathouse is an absolute diamond to some, but a piece of coal to others. Nowhere else would you find a more strategically placed, original bedroom anywhere in the country. With its location above the water, the room does attract the water conditions associated. This is always communicated to guests on booking in order that they are fully prepared for staying. No other room gets more money spent in it annually and to this day it remains my most favourite of our guest rooms.

Reviewed 22 July 2009

We spent a very relaxing three nights at the hotel with our boxer dog. Staff, food and hotel were lovely throughout our stay. We had a large room with plenty of space for ourselves and our dog and beautiful views across Lake Windermere. The grounds were well kept and the well designed and equiped 'dog run' was a great place to exercise our dog. I'm sure she thought it was her own private garden to run around and play in. The staff were very friendly an helpful and the food was delicious. The rooms were comfortable and spacious and the decor although dated was in keeping with the age and style of the hotel. The hotel is however on the expensive side and this may put some people off. We however enjoyed the fact that we could take our dog with us to a lovely relaxing hotel with plenty of good walks on offer and places to see. We would definitely return again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CLPWindsor
Reviewed 8 July 2009

Absolutley fantastic, nothing to comlian about, would visit time and time again

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family