“Memorable”

Miller Howe Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I had always wanted to stay at the Miller Howe, ever since the days of John Tovey. The nearest I got was to buy his recipe books - until the Travelzoo offer came along and spurred me into action. Suffice it to say that we were not disappointed! This proved to be a brilliant deal, with a lake view room. Our room was a little dated, but had everything we needed for a relaxing stay, including a very comfy bed. The views from the dining room and conservatory are breathtaking and it's only a stone's throw down to the lake. The staff at the hotel are professional, friendly and efficient, which brings me to the food. The chef has flair and imagination and produces sensational food. We both had fresh crab as a starter, then I had the lamb three ways and my husband had the venison. The presentation of the food is tremendous. Berry creme brulee for dessert and our culinary treat was complete. Breakfast was also outstanding. We shall return!

1  Thank jbull60

Reviewed 26 September 2013

We booked a one night stay through Travelzoo at £169 for two for dinner, bed and breakfast. The deal included a lake view room subject to availability, but I left it far too long, and so we missed out on that. However overall I felt we had good value.

The room was comfortable and had everything we needed save for a shortage of modern three point plug sockets. Oddly there were several of what looked like old-style sockets from many years ago. The room had a balcony looking out to the side of the hotel, and its own furniture, and the lake was visible from the balcony, but a slight drawback was that the road nearby is fairly busy. As it wasn't so warm and we did not need to leave the window open at night, traffic noise was not an issue-the windows were double-glazed and we were not disturbed.

There is a nice conservatory looking out across the lake with a very decent view, and also a lounge with comfortable chairs and the same view. There is also a separate bar area. Afternoon tea is available and looked pretty good but it would be a challenge to manage that and dinner as well.

I thought the food was seriously good.I had an excellent spiced fresh crab starter, and the crab meat was obviously fresh and high quality. A goat's cheese starter was also first rate. The main course was lamb cooked three ways, and it was seriously good, with a little lamb shepherd's pie and shredded and deep fried neck topped by a very tender couple of pieces of lamb. A chocolate and orange dessert was intense and memorable.

The wine list is very decent, with many top quality wines and prices to match. Mark-ups look to be sometimes 150% but mostly 200%, as seems to be the case everywhere. We had a 2009 Beaujolais, great vintage and from a very good producer, which was about £33. One of the waiting staff was happy in mid-afternoon to check the vintage for me and confirm they still had it in stock.

One slight drawback: a slightly bizarre music tape at dinner. I don't think the restaurant needs this-it has more than enough atmosphere and it's the sort of place where the splendid view encourages people to talk, rather than stay silent, so I wasn't sure why they did this. It's a bit weird having jazz with your starter and then a choir and orchestra giving it their all in Carmina Burana when you're on your main course-I would gently suggest toning it down or, even better, getting rid of it.

The bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was until 9.45 which was civilised, and the food at breakfast was first-rate.

Service was uniformly and noticeably excellent. I'd have given it five stars if the room had been just a little less old fashioned and we had had no music at dinner. I would definitely go again.

Room Tip: Do get a lake view if you can.
2  Thank 227,957
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We have just returned from a four night stay. This hotel's website does not do it justice with its typically English understatement. The setting is stunning, the rooms are stunning, the food and the service are stunning, and what can we say about the views from our balcony room and our table at dinner - except that they are stunning! The friendly staff try really hard, and there is faultless attention to detail. Every dish is individually prepared and elegantly presented and served. We would have liked a longer and more varied menu, but that's just us - the selection included duck, hake, sea bass, beef and venison, which would appeal to most palates. One night we opted for the vegetarian menu, and that too was superb - so often in even the best restaurants the veggie dishes are a limited afterthought, but not so at the Miller Howe. The wine list, too, is very extensive The Queen and the Princess Royal lunched here on July 13 - and if the food is good enough for them, it is certainly good enough for us. We were thoroughly spoiled (thanks especially to Nigel and Caroline) and enjoyed every moment.

Room Tip: Go for a lakeview balcony room. The Windemere room was large, quiet and comfortable, with a great...
1  Thank mickchickuk
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We stayed here on our last night after walking the Dales Way. I did lots of research as to where to stay to celebrate, and we were not disappointed. It was worth the walk. The lounges overlook the lake as does the dining room. You could just sit and watch the lake and sky. The food was excellent. Our room overlooked the lake. Would definitely return. Staff were just perfect.

Room Tip: Have a lake view room.
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Stayed overnight on dinner and breakfast deal. Stayed in Cumberland room in the old gardeners cottage and was very comfortable and only a short stroll through the terraced gardens to main hotel. The view from the Dining room and lounge across Windermere to Langdale Pikes,Crinkle Crags etc is stunning especially if you catch a sunset. Our evening meal was sensational - having eaten around the world we would put it in our top five. Staff very friendly and helpful.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

We visited for lunch and as there was an offer on of 3 courses for £25 it would be very difficult to find fault. The view really is breathtaking. The staff were very attentive and helpful. The dining room was very quiet as there was only us and one other table eating. This was in August so at the height of the tourist season.

The cheese soufflé was better than I could imagine. We both thought the main course was ok. I had chicken and my partner had pork. Nothing wow, nothing exciting and nothing to complain about. The disappointment being I wanted a little bit of wow.

We finished with port and coffee in the conservatory and spent a further hour enjoying the view.

Would I go again for lunch - genuinely don't know. Yes for the view, yes for the price, no for the atmosphere and not sure that the food was special enough to make the effort.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 September 2013

My husband had stayed on two previous occasions prior to our marriage. He always wanted to take me to visit. It was just as he described and you get the feeling that many memories still live on in this grand estate. The view was even better than Lake Como and since we were there during the July heat wave, it was lovely to leave our balcony door open and enjoy the fresh air and occasional sounds of the sheep enjoying their good fortune to live near the lake to graze all day long. Food was spectacular, though the menu is the same every night we stayed, but gave us a chance to sample everything.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple