“Lovely food, great service.”

Miller Howe Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We came here for our 1 year anniversary on Friday 13th...
It's ok everything was fine!!

We had a lovely meal, and the service was fabulous.
Wasn't overly impressed with the canopies. We had toasted squares with scrambled egg and anchovies, macaroons with blue cheese and chicken something or other. My hubby liked them but they just didn't do anything for me.
We had a taster before the starters came out which was amazing. It was like a beef stew, with croutons and Parmesan.
We had the scallops for starters which were cooked to perfection! I'd have preferred not to have had the walnuts as I didn't think that they went well with the scallops.
And for my main I had the pumpkin ravioli which were delicious...perfectly seasoned. My husband had the mallard which again was lovely.
He had the creme brûlée for pudding..I can't comment on this as he didn't share it...but I don't think I could have fit it in anyway.
Really good evening out. It wasn't cheap, but the food was lovely.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Miller Howe Hotel & Restaurant

Reviewed 13 December 2013

Our Room, Elterwater, was compact with a superb lake view and contained everything we needed for a delightful stay. In the full length mirror double fronted wardrobe there are seven drawers, many hangers and 2 white dressing gowns. Very comfortable bed and the tall headboard is covered in the same material as the curtains. There are double doors to a balcony. This is not the first time we have stayed at Miller Howe and I am sure it will not be the last. Jane, the receptionist, looked after us extremely well and would be as asset in any Hotel. At dinner we had the chef's extra course of a broccoli and cheese soup, followed by spiced white crab meat, Roast Mallard breast, and I had the plum and gooseberry crumble and my wife the Creme Brulee. I asked my wife how many out of 10 she would give the meal and she replied 10. Praise indeed and I agree. Plenty of choice at breakfast but, unfortunately, my English breakfast was slightly overcooked. A slight grey mark but still a perfect break.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wanderer74Wigan
Reviewed 4 December 2013

My parents and brother, from Seattle, had a family break at Miller Howe Hotel this week we all really enjoyed our stay. Everybody was very helpful and creates a country house feel. Lovely, comfortable rooms with everything that you need. The lounge, conservatory and dining areas all have great views of Lake Windermere, so don't be too disappointed if you don't get a lake view room. The food was stunningly good and the hotel are very fortunate to have such a talented chef. Go and enjoy!

Room Tip: Book your stay now… you won't be disappointed!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This is the first time we have stayed here, we will definatley stay again lovely hotel,they have a fantastic chef the evening meal was lovely so much choice at breakfast as well we had a lovely room with fantastic view of lake windermere all staff were very helpfull

Room Tip: There are some lovely walks its not to far from the lake
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Having spent the previous night at one of the local B&B's in Bowness (which was excellent) we were really looking forward to an evening at the Miller Howe.

The location is stunning with unspoilt views of Lake Windermere although if you're looking to pop into a couple of hostelries for a pre-dinner drink you'll need the car as it is a good mile and a bit from the towns of Windermere and Bowness.

On entering the hotel there is no reception so you have to rely on a member of staff spotting and making time for you. Luckily we only waited a minute or two before being checked in and escorted to our room, Elterwater on the first floor.

The room was cosy enough with cracking views over the lake from the balcony which runs along the back of the hotel at first and second floor level. I can imagine the balcony would be great in the summer but early November doesn't often present the same opportunity to enjoy outdoor facilities.

The room itself was comfortable enough but the windows were a bit loose, room a bit dusty, bed a bit lumpy and en-suite a bit dated. there was a bit of noise from other rooms but in a building this old you would expect it. Had we paid full whack for the room i would have been disappointed but the internet deal which included dinner, bed and breakfast made this so much more appealing.

Dinner itself was wonderful. The fine dining experience was one I would recommend as the service and quality of fare presented was tremendous given the deal we had. Breakfast too was of a similar standard.

I can see the appeal of the Miller Howe for a treat such as my wife's birthday (which this was) and can also see why people recommend the place. For me though the accommodation let down the overall stay as the dining was some of the best I've experienced. If they can invest in the rooms they'll be going for another 50 years.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Daftlad1664
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Miller Howe is an ideal location for an introduction to the Lake District. It is set in a lovely park and garden and has spectacular views of Lake Windermere. While it is a few minutes away from shops, other restaurants and climbs up local hills the walks are relatively easy. The staff was very accommodating for us. My wife was having some lower back issues and the staff was most helpful in providing ice to relieve her discomfort. The one caution we would offer is to check on the bath/shower arrangements. A couple of the rooms only have a stand-alone, Victorian style tub with a hand-held spray. While quaint and decorative, we did not find it the most effective and comfortable way to shower. Otherwise our stay was a very pleasant reminder of the elegance of a different era and we are glad we had the opportunity experience it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2013

The head chef trained under Raymond Blanc at Le Manoir - I had to ask as it was INCREDIBLE!

The Sarcey's champagne in a big armchair by the fire in the beautiful lounge is a must before dinner, the red wine by the glass is then excellent.

The room was not the biggest, but clean and cosy. The bedding was luxurious, a great bed too!

We had a balcony, waking up to the view of Lake Windermere will stay with me forever.

Great breakfast, very high quality ingredients.

Room Tip: Ask for a Lake View!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple