“Disappointing!”

Miller Howe Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I booked this for a three night romantic weekend through a Secret Escapes offer of bed, breakfast and four course evening meal. I enjoy good food and was looking forward to the dining experience. The first night, I was quite impressed, but my disappointment increased with the stay, as basically the same canapés, menu and petit fours were offered each successive night. Part of a dining experience is reading the menu and anticipation of new creations. Having read other reviews, it seems the menu does not change, suggesting that the chef is either lazy or has a very small repertoire. In a restaurant situation, where diners are unlikely to return for a while they can get away with keeping the same menu for a period of time, but in a hotel situation with guests staying for more than one night, I think this to be unacceptable. They know in advance how many they will be feeding and could have a different menu for each day, which they then repeat. We had to send one breakfast back due to an unwanted hair and the amuse bouche on the last night, a repeat of the previous evening was returned as it tasted off. We noted that others around us were being given something different. At various times we wondered whether we were being treated differently as we were there on an offer. We found the staff quite off at times. I was also most upset to find that the hotel offers a three for two night stay which would have cost less than the secret escapes offer. I was also upset to find that I was charged for the coffee and petit fours, which we only had on the assumption that it was the fourth course of the meal. In my experience amuse bouche are normally offered complimentary. The room was OK - nothing special, looking at the photos, they have better. The outside particularly looks very tired and in need of work.

At offer price I would have still expected a different menu on each evening. I know that we were not the only ones staying more than one night. Having stayed in a number of hotels, I am very glad not to have paid the full price.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ssmbsajsals

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I tried to book four rooms at this hotel for October with a Travelzoo offer last weekend
My call was dealt with by James who was very unhelpfull and reluctant to email me with confirmation of rates and availabilty.
Another of our party tried again the next day and had a much more pleasant Lady who promised to ring her back but never did.
The management should note this isnt the only Hotel we can book and I certainly wont be booking there in the future
We are looking forward to our trip to the Lygon Arms booked instead

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank david r
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Miller Howe Hotel for 2 nights for my husbands birthday. The hotel is in a beautiful location with picturesque views of the lake. Close to a small town, local amenities were good. Our room was beautifully decorated, with a huge, comfy bed. The staff were very attentive throughout our stay and nothing was a problem. We ate in the restaurant for breakfast and a meal- both times the food was too quality! Delicious. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank T C
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I would have given this 5 stars but the hotel was just a little bit tired around the edges. We paid extra for a lake view room (Elterwater) which was definitely the right choice but I have to say the bathroom was quite dated with poor pressure from the shower. The food was incredible and the views spellbinding though so overall a pleasant trip.
Also, we had a deal through Secret Escapes for dinner, bed & breakfast, if we had paid full price I might not have been so pleased.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank chesy84
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed in the Windermere room with Lake views, big really comfy bed and a good bathroom with awesome water pressure!
Interesting and varied wine list with something to suit every taste and budget and more importantly to match the food.
Nice touches - little canapes with pre dinner drink and then at the table an asparagus and parmesan amuse bouche . Friendly service from staff that enjoyed a banter without being too familiar.
Excellent starters and both the lamb and the beef mains were top notch. Lovely selection of fruity puds to finish ( and a not too sweet but just right pudding wine to go with it.
Mrs Bears eggs benedict for breakfast was just a bit different from standard fare but truly magnificent.
No hesitation in recommending MH to anyone!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rupert S
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Having stayed at Miller Howe twelve months ago in the wake of the Queens visit we decided to stay again for three nights to celebrate our Silver Wedding Anniversary. We were not disappointed in our choice. We stayed in The Westmoorland Suite in the Cottage and loved the setting, space, decoration and privacy. The settee is so comfortable and caused many laughs trying to get up from it.
We ate in the restaurant every night and had a wonderful range of tastes and flavours, it was a gastronomic delight each evening. We felt very fortunate to eat such lovely food with such a beautiful view.
All the staff were excellent and could not do enough. Our whole stay was memorable and we are glad we returned. . It is expensive but worth the experience.

Room Tip: The Westmoorland Suite in the grounds for space and privacy or room with Lake View.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eleanor S
Reviewed 27 July 2014

After spending numerous special occasions and many the odd nights for no particular reason at this hotel when John Tovey and the Garside’s owned the hotel we have to say we would definitely come back, the formality of everyone attending dinner at 8pm when the dining room lights were dimmed to non-existent and it being a spectacular event which everyone dressed for dinner have sadly long gone and the ambience has become one of jeans and T-shirt will do, as was evident during our stay.

The food is still as good as ever; on our first evening we had scallops served with pork belly followed by mains of hake and red mullet all of which were superb, my dessert a carrot cake was moist and delicious and my wife’s blackcurrant soufflé with a hot chocolate sauce and blackcurrant macaroon sublime. On our second evening my wife had the watermelon and goats cheese starter and I had the duck parfait both of which were excellent, for mains we chose the beef and the duck both of which were faultless, after we had finished our mains however we were passed by no less than 5 waiters/waitresses who had served others without our plates being cleared, and then on being served the dessert of what was described as strawberry with pimms we were told by the waiter to enjoy our “jelly and ice cream” as if it were a child’s tea party! However we have to say the staff in the main were professional and attentive, especially a young European lady and a young French waiter. On our last morning at breakfast however we ordered the fresh fruit breakfast as a starter which was described as fresh fruit with prunes and yoghurt, what actually arrived were a few grapes with melon and chopped apple.

We stayed in a balcony room overlooking the lake and gardens and were lucky enough to have 2 days superb weather; the bathrooms are in need an update but are still immaculately clean and functional, waking up on a morning with the curtains open and nothing to look at but a calm lake and the odd boat is to say the least tranquil, this is a country house hotel full of original features and that is what we love.

Upon leaving the hotel and whilst I was packing the car however my wife was taken aback by the same waiter who remarked that we should enjoy our “jelly and ice cream” saying to her back to normality now, I suppose its scramble egg on toast for tea!! as if we were being told we had broken the bank to stay here which we certainly hadn’t I have my own very successful business and my wife is a buyer for the steel industry, hopefully this was just a misplaced faux par as other than this we enjoyed our stay and would love to return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple