“A delightful hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
North UK
“A delightful hotel”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My wife and I stayed 2 nights at the Cedar Manor Hotel, after an excellent dinner in the restaurant on the first night, we altered plans in order that we could enjoy dinner again on the second night. The hotel was run to a very high standard, the owners and staff were very friendly and welcoming and helped make our stay one to remember. Rooms were beautiful and very clean with comfortable Super King beds to get lost in.
We hope to go back again and intend to treat our sons and their respective wives to a night or two at Cedar Manor.
Thanks again to Caroline, Jonathan and the Staff.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Windermere Room
1 Thank redted_9
CedarManor, Owner at Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent break at Cedar Manor. We are delighted that you enjoyed the hotel and especially dinner.
We look forward to seeing you and your family again in the future.
Caroline and Jonathan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

It has taken me a long time to write this review, as I feel very angry about our experience and passing by the hotel this weekend (to stay at a different hotel), I thought I would take the time to finally write my review. For what I saw of the positive points, of which there were several excellent, I will give an average rating overall.

My husband booked for us to go for a meal on my birthday and our 12th wedding anniversary on 21st July 2013. We arrived and were greeted by Caroline and sat to have a drink in the bar. We instantly had a good feeling and were impressed with the wine. We had apetisers and went into the dining area. Beautiful!! They had clearly put much time and effort into creating a perfect ambiance and we instantly had a good feeling about it.

We looked at the menu and my husband ordered - and I quote:
"Bruschetta - with Blacksticks blue, poached pears and port syrup"
Our starters arrived, my chicken and black pudding terrine was beautiful and accompanied by a glass of beautiful red wine, we were convinced it would be somewhere we would return again and again. Caroline at this time made conversation and was friendly and polite.

However, as my husband swallowed the first bite of his starter, he said his lips had started to swell. He has a serious nut allergy and we later discovered they had used crushed walnuts in the blue cheese.

There was the standard 'V' marked on the menu to indicate vegetarian options and whilst it would be unpleasant for a vegetarian to eat meat it would not be life threatening. There was however no indication, by way of the normal 'N' for the nuts sign anywhere on the menu. At the very bottom of the menu in normal type after all courses and prices are listed it stated 'nut and nut oils are used extensively throughout our kitchens'.

My husband went quickly to get two chloraphenamine from the car and returned two minutes later with his face shockingly swollen. By this time the swelling had reached a point he was barely able to speak. We decided to sit outside in the fresh air, as his breathing was becoming strained. At this point I called NHS Direct and as the situation was worsenning they sent an ambulance. Caroline came outside, but seemed more concerned the main courses were now cooked and what we wanted to do. The ambulance arrived shortly after and she was visibly concerned about other customers and asked us to keep the noise down so as not to disturb the guests (we were not making any noise and we didnt see the need or ask for the blue flashing light) She was clearly very concerned about how it appeared to other guests. That and the wasted food were clearly her main concern. Johnathan did not come outside at all and when I went inside to question the menu I was told there were crushed walnuts in the blue cheese.

The paramedics said my husbands blood pressure was very low and heart rate had dropped to 40 bpm. He was given substantial amounts of adrenaline, chloraphenamine and salbutamol and we were told he would need to go to A and E at Lancaster.

We had parked the car as we had arrived in what appeared to be a parking space, but apparently the back wheel was on the tree roots of the Cedar tree which were over two hundred years old. As my husband was due to go in the ambulance, Caroline asked if I could move the car. Although she did offer to do it herself I was not comfortable with that. Although I didn't feel this should have even been mentioned at such a time, I courteously agreed to move my car.

At 1.30am I was asked to confirm with the hotel what exactly was in the starter. I called and Johnathan answered. The response I got was him frustratedly telling me that he had already told me earlier that it had been the walnuts in the starter. He never even asked how my husband was at all. Their reaction was begining by this point to frustrate me somewhat. It would have at least been courteous of him to ask!!

We returned to the hotel where we were staying at at 6am, after a £80 taxi fare from the hospital to Windamere. So, not only had our anniversary been completely ruined, we had wasted the money on the room we had booked, which we never used, and incurred a £80 taxi fare. and the petrol to and from the Lake District.

We had to return to the Cedar Manor the following morning to collect our car. Beyond the frustration of what happened, this for us was to be the deciding factor on whether we reamined a returning customer or not. Due to the reaction so far we had little confidence, but were open minded. We had discussed the situation and decided that although there may have even been legal implications, that we were to put this aside and consider it an oversight and an error and see what they did to rectify the situation. I believe with any business, mistakes happen, but it is how they are resolved that leave a lasting impression.

When we arrived Caroline had clearly been watching out for us, presumably because the starters and two thirds of the bottle of wine we had drunk had not been paid for. She nearly fell over herself and followed us to the car, whilst it was obvious I needed to go to the car boot to change my evening shoes I had gone to A and E in the night before. I did feel that as honest people this was unnecessary and we would have gone into the reception once I had changed my shoes which at this time of day looked ridiculous.

Caroline first decided to tell us that the duck main course we had ordered had still been pink in the oven and would have been fine if we had not gone to hospital. I have no doubt it would have been amazing. She latterly asked if my husband was ok. After substantial medication and a ruined evening, he by this time simply felt tired and drained. The swelling and breathing difficulties were fine, although he felt just tired for a day or two after. We told her that we had wasted the room fees at the hotel and incurred £80 taxi fare.

We were told as a gesture of 'goodwill', we would only be charged for the wine (which we had had approximately two thirds of, but the rest was not saved) and that they had decided not to charge for the starters. I was to be honest for the first time really furious. I went into the reception silently to pay. Johnathan was sat at the desk and did not even have the decency or grace to greet or acknowledge us. This only added to my frustration.

This was the deciding factor for us. Mistakes happen. Certainly had this been my business I would have never even entertained the idea of charging for the wine knowing we had had all that expense of the taxi and a ruined anniversary / birthday evening etc. I think this was the very least they could have done. Had they been my guests I would have invited them back for a 'nut free' meal to rectify the spoiled occasion at the very least. We were reasonable throughout and never got cross (we could have done). I feel their reaction was beyond disappointing.

I hope in the time it has taken to write the review, that my anger of the presiding situation has dampened and I have given a balanced review. For anyone going to this hotel, I really do believe the food and atmosphere is of the best to be found, (although we did not stay there overnight) and we have visited many many hotels. I think for anyone who has an issue or problem then I would not like to suggest you will have a positive outcome. My biggest regret was to pass the front of the hotel this weekend to go somewhere else, because of no other reason than the very disappointing outcome of our situation. I would have otherwise had the pleasure of returning and recommending the hotel again and again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank jamesholden186411
CedarManor, Owner at Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thank you for your very extensive review. We are very disappointed in your review and you have missed one key thing out. We ask all our our diners when they book if they have any dietary requirement or allergies, so we can address this with you and discuss the menu. Your husband unfortunately didn't advise us of any allergies when asked this question at the time of booking.
If we had been made aware of his severe nut allergy, you would have received appropriate guidance with your menu choices. We have on occasion refused diners with severe nut allergies due to our extensive use of nuts within our kitchens. This is clearly stated on the menu.
At the time your husband ate the starter there was a large walnut on top of the bruschetta and you could see walnuts dressing the plate. Why would he even attempt to eat it?
We were astounded to find out that he had a nut allergy and shocked that he didn't tell us when booking the table or even on arrival.
We are completely the innocent party here, and we are equally annoyed with yourselves for causing this problem. Your husband also also confided in us (and we notice that this review is in his name), that he never tells restaurants that he has allergies, and he has been lucky to get away with it all these years, and chooses to negotiate the menu himself. He further admitted that he hadn't had a reaction to nuts for over 20 years and took the risk in eating nuts on this occasion.

We are sorry that your husband was ill and that your night was spoiled, but all of this could have been avoided if someone had told us that he was allergic to nuts in the first place.

We are very surprised and disappointed that you are both prepared to take risks with your health and well-being and we are being made victims of your in-ability to communicate.

To anyone reading this review, we just ask you to be honest with us regarding any ingredients that you are allergic too - we don't mean, what you don't like, we just need to know what could make you ill if you ate it.
Reviewed 16 April 2014

My daughter booked this hotel for Mothering Sunday. We stayed for 2 nights.
It is a charming Manor, a lot of thought has gone into bring this old manor to moderns standards.
The owners Caroline and Jonathan were extremely nice and helpful form the time we arrived.
Our bed room was a bit cramped but adequate. Bed was very comfortable. Probably the room could have been sound proofed better. One of the neighbouring guests knocked on our door well past midnight about the sound of our TV
Food/Breakfast was excellent and the servers very attentive and polite.
We would consider returning here if the price was more realistic.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
CedarManor, Owner at Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit.
We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to the Lakes.
London
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We have just spent a delightful 3 nights at this charming,beautifully decorated, well run, small hotel. Owners and staff were very friendly and welcoming and the food sampled during dinner on our first night and breakfast each morning was of a very high standard with a talented chef at the helm. Our room was the Langdale and had a super sized bed with the most wonderful bedding that we just sank into. I also enjoyed my spa bath! An extra bonus was the fresh milk in the fridge for hot drinks. What a plus and saved us hunting down a pint on our arrival. All in all a great place to go for peace, tranquility and to recharge the batteries. Thank you Caroline and Jonathan!!

Room Tip: We also got a small glimpse of the lake, at a distance, from our room. Paying more did get us the hu...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent "recharging the batteries" stay in the Lakes. We are delighted that you enjoyed your room, dinner and breakfasts.
We hope you flatten your batteries again soon. Look forward to welcoming you back to the Lakes again then.
Best wishes
Caroline, Jonathan and the team.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We spent a long time looking at hotels and B&Bs for our stay in the Lake District in April. We couldn't have been more pleased with our choice of Cedar Manor. It is in a charming location, but within walking distance from the train station. Our room (Coniston) was immaculately presented and had a beautiful view of Lake Windermere and the surrounding fells. The décor of the hotel was spot on and has been done to a really high standard. The lounge has lovely tartan fabric and feels very cosy with the fire going.

The Hosts Caroline and Jonathan and Patricia the waitress are absolutely wonderful. They are friendly and warm. Jonathan told us about all the nice restaurants in town and where to go if we were looking for something quick or inexpensive. Caroline and Patricia were charming. We came in on the last day absolutely soaked to the bone from a walk in the fells. As we warmed up in the lounge, Patricia came to have a chat with us to cheer us up which was lovely. Though we did not have dinner we had breakfast in the hotel every morning which was delicious. We had the choice of full English breakfasts pancakes, eggs benedict which were cooked brilliantly. The portions were hearty but the food was never greasy or simply dolloped on the plate. Excellent stay all round. I could not recommend it enough. Lovely hosts, lovely room, lovely food and lovely location.

Room Tip: Coniston has a beautiful view and a separate dressing area
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your break at Cedar Manor. We are all delighted that you enjoyed yourselves and we were able to help with our recommendations.
We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014

My husband and I decided to visit the Lakes to celebrate our 21st anniversary. I am rather fussy about accomodation and because it was a special occaision, it was important for us to choose somewhere special. We checked out alot of hotels and reviews before deciding to book Cedar Manor hotel! We were not dissapointed, the hotel is beautiful and it is situated in an ideal location. Our room was at the front of the property, overlooking the garden. It was lovely to open the window and enjoy the sunny weather whilst enjoying a glass of wine! Jonathan and Caroline were great hosts who take obvious pride in their business. They were welcoming, friendly and helpful when required. Their staff were excellent and nothing was too much trouble. We booked evening dinner in the hotal resturant on our first night, the food was delicious and of a very high standard. The service was excellent too. We did eat at other resturants but we both preferred Cedar Manor. To conclude; fab hotel, lovely rooms, great service, ideal situation and delicious food. Would we stay there again, without a doubt!

1 Thank mlwhale
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent break at Cedar Manor. We are all delighted that you enjoyed your stay in the Hotel and had a great time in the Lakes.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Dalton-in-Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Me and my partner stayed here for our anniversary this weekend and were very pleased with our choice. It was a last minute booking but the owners and staff were very welcoming and the room was lovely. We are already looking into stopping again.

• Stayed April 2014
CedarManor, Owner at Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you very much for reviewing you recent break at Cedar Manor. We are all really pleased that you grabbed a last minute break and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Caroline and Jonathan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#11 of 20 in Windermere
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#18 of 20 in Windermere

Been to Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!