We stayed at the Gilpin for 3 nights on a long family weekend in July. Overall the lodge was great:
The staff are all attentive, pleasant and provide excellent service.
The lodge itself and the grounds are beautiful. The gardens are lovely and the bar, lounge and dining areas are stunning.
The rooms were very spacious. We had a master room which in many places in Europe would be classed as a suite. Loved the Molton Brown bath products although it would have been even better if they also provided the Molton Brown liquid hand soap as opposed to the bar.
Although there are no lake views from the lodge, the location is still excellent. A short drive to Lake Windermere and surrounded by the green Lake District landscape. Perfect for relaxation and chilling out.
The food is great. The menu is varied with some exceptional day specials. It is however worth noting that, if you want to have a quick meal and head out (or to bed) you will be disappointed. Dinner is a slow-paced affair allowing you to savour every course. I felt that the dessert options could be improved, but then again that might be just my own personal taste.
The only thing that took the "gold star" away for me was a slight lack of attention from the reservations team. During my various communications with them during the booking process, I found myself asking a number of questions and only one being responded to. This lead to me emailing back asking the same questions again. They were always quick to come back to me, which is a plus, but I felt that a little bit more attention would have made a big difference and topped up the exceptional service provided at the lodge itself. We would certainly return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the heart of Gilpin is a very passionate family and team, dedicated to creating lasting memories for their guests, who return time and again for celebrations and escapes. Warmth and friendliness are balanced with extraordinary service, exquisite décor and stunning culinary experiences. This five star hotel comprises two separate estates in the beautiful Lake District, with a luxury country house on each. At Gilpin Hotel all of the 25 bedrooms have lovely Lakeland views, most leading directly onto the gardens - including six Garden Suites with their own cedarwood hot tubs, and five fabulous detached Spa Lodges. The Spa Lodges were added in 2016, and are cedar-clad with king size beds, gorgeous bathrooms and a fabulously private en-suite spa each, with a convertible treatment area, steam room, rain maker shower, free standing oval stone bath, outdoor sauna and hydrotherapy hot tub surrounded by a walled garden. Add this to the mood lighting, fires, electric blinds and a state-of-the-art music system, and all of the senses are invigorated. Just a mile away at Gilpin Lake House, six gorgeous rooms share a fully staffed boutique hotel with a heated indoor swimming pool (for Lake House guests only), outdoor hot tubs and saunas, and exclusive access to 100 acres of grounds with a stunningly beautiful private lake. Our chauffeurs bring you to the hotel in the evening to dine. Dine in either the Michelin starred main restaurant, 'Hrishi', where Hrishikesh Desai combines great Lake District produce and classic methods to deliver unbelievable textures and flavours with just a twist of Asia, or in 'Gilpin Spice' a new informal restaurant transcending international boundaries, with an open kitchen focussing on dishes from the spice trail spanning the Indian sub-continent, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, the Philippines, Japan and China. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Expedia, Priceline, Odigeo, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Hotel.de and Cancelon so you can book your Gilpin Hotel & Lake House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gilpin Hotel And Lake House
- Gilpin Hotel Windermere
- Gilpin Lodge Windermere
- Gilpin Hotel & Lake House Windermere, Lake District