Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Windermere Manor Hotel(Windermere)(Great Value!)
US$208
US$350
Official Site
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant(Windermere)
No availability for your dates from our partners
The Samling Hotel(Windermere)
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,489 results
All reviewsgarden suitehot tubjetty spaspa lodgesthe main hoteldollywagon pikecunliffe familyspice restaurantsergeant manattention to detailjunior suitemichelin stardining roomstasting menumaster roomcrinkle cragsafternoon tea
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Nothing but accolades for this beautiful Relais & Chateaux hotel. Wonderful hospitality from the Cunliffe family who ensured that everything from theguest suites to the food service was to the high R&C standards.

Room Tip: Try for the suites with hot tubs in the new wing at the top of the hill.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2011

My husband and I stayed at Gilpin Lodge in June. Very pleased with this R&C hotel.
The previous TA reviews sum up our overall experience. We were made to feel very welcome, comfortable and pampered under their roof and everything was first class.

However, I do have to agree with the previous poster on one issue. In the beginning, although the emails were responded to promptly, some questions remained unanswered regarding the B&B and the D-B&B, and I needed clarification on others.
Several emails had different rates per night (perhaps the result of different people manning the emails at their end). In the end I did have to call.
(I do think they are so busy with reservation inquiries, that individual emails are not read carefully enough, leading to unanswered queries.

Nevertheless, this is only one small hiccup in an excellent stay, and we would return to the lovely GL should we be back in The Lakes.

Room Tip: Enjoy the experience of this Relais & Chateau hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2011

We stayed at the Gilpin for 3 nights on a long family weekend in July. Overall the lodge was great:

The staff are all attentive, pleasant and provide excellent service.

The lodge itself and the grounds are beautiful. The gardens are lovely and the bar, lounge and dining areas are stunning.

The rooms were very spacious. We had a master room which in many places in Europe would be classed as a suite. Loved the Molton Brown bath products although it would have been even better if they also provided the Molton Brown liquid hand soap as opposed to the bar.

Although there are no lake views from the lodge, the location is still excellent. A short drive to Lake Windermere and surrounded by the green Lake District landscape. Perfect for relaxation and chilling out.

The food is great. The menu is varied with some exceptional day specials. It is however worth noting that, if you want to have a quick meal and head out (or to bed) you will be disappointed. Dinner is a slow-paced affair allowing you to savour every course. I felt that the dessert options could be improved, but then again that might be just my own personal taste.

The only thing that took the "gold star" away for me was a slight lack of attention from the reservations team. During my various communications with them during the booking process, I found myself asking a number of questions and only one being responded to. This lead to me emailing back asking the same questions again. They were always quick to come back to me, which is a plus, but I felt that a little bit more attention would have made a big difference and topped up the exceptional service provided at the lodge itself. We would certainly return.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank PhillipP
Reviewed 21 July 2011

This hotel is a must for anyone visiting the lake district, whether you are looking for an overnight stay or a great place to eat!

Beautiful serene surroundings. The Hotel is decorated impeccably with detail put into every little thing, even the door handles!

Felt extremely welcomed here although we were probably the youngest couple there!

One of the owners made the effort to greet every person sat down for the meal on the evening we visited, and it wasn't just a quick hello, it was a warm welcome and chat :)

The food was simply incredible, no words to describe it! And they catered for my Gluten Free diet like it was no issue whatsoever!

Everything ran so smoothly and we felt so comfortable not once did we feel out of place.

Pleaseeeeeee do me a favour and visit it for yourself, i promise you will not regret it!
One of the best evenings i've ever experienced!

Keep up the smashing work! :D

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2011

The Gilpin Lodge was very comfortable, our room was lovely (apart from the view of a tin roof from our window) and the food amazing. The staff were very friendly and were really attentive. We were surprised that there were no draught beers available at the bar. The house wines were lovely but a glass of house pino grigio was £10.00!! The dining and bar areas didn't have any background music at any time and so therefore lacked atmosphere. We felt we had to almost whisper to each other during our meals.

We agree with the lady who mentioned about reserving a table for dinner. We weren't told about this either and had to have our dinner fairly early each evening. We did try to change the time but were told that the restaurants were fully booked. We felt that as we were paying to stay in the hotel we should have had the first choice of times for dinner.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple