The reviews on here have always been excellent, however i wish to give a fair report based upon two visits during 2011. We stayed here in June having stayed earlier in the year. There was no special reason or occasions, other than getting away for a few nights, for our visit. We were in one of the large garden suites with a hot tub, this was just lovely but when it rained we got wet in the tub!
The bedroom was very, very spacious, the lounge area comfortable and the bathroom huge. The rooms were very modern and stylish although we did have to ask for an iron and ironing board to be brought to our room.
We stayed on a DB+B booking. Dinner was better the second time we ate here, the amuse bouche of tuna was to die for! The wine list has some good value wines with decent bottle age. My husband has coeliac's disease and this was well catered for - we some great home made bread. Breakfast was also of good quality with really tasty sausages.
We found the service was a little mechanical at times, as if the staff were just going 'through the motions', we ordered two bottles wines and the staff brought the wrong one each time - my husband had to go and point out the ones we wanted - this is just sloppy in an established of this level.
The dining room and other public area's within the hotel were very hot and stuffy. In addition the dining areas are very small and this lead to us feeling uncomfortable, we found during both of our visits that we spoke in whispers because we were able to hear the other diners conversations which led to the meal feeling strained and not as relaxed as i would expect, i would suggest some low level background music however perhaps this would not please some of the elderly returning patrons!
We felt too young (30) to be dining and staying at this property as the clientele - with respect - were much, much older than ourselves. It is our view that this hotel is trying hard to please their returning patrons, may of whom are older, by not changing anything, rather than being dynamic.
Whilst the wine list would draw us back (i say us, but mean my husband!) in the future the stuffy nature of this hotel means we will stay at alternative locations in the lakes.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the heart of Gilpin is a very passionate family and team, dedicated to creating lasting memories for their guests, who return time and again for celebrations and escapes. Warmth and friendliness are balanced with extraordinary service, exquisite décor and stunning culinary experiences. This five star hotel comprises two separate estates in the beautiful Lake District, with a luxury country house on each. At Gilpin Hotel all of the 25 bedrooms have lovely Lakeland views, most leading directly onto the gardens - including six Garden Suites with their own cedarwood hot tubs, and five fabulous detached Spa Lodges. The Spa Lodges were added in 2016, and are cedar-clad with king size beds, gorgeous bathrooms and a fabulously private en-suite spa each, with a convertible treatment area, steam room, rain maker shower, free standing oval stone bath, outdoor sauna and hydrotherapy hot tub surrounded by a walled garden. Add this to the mood lighting, fires, electric blinds and a state-of-the-art music system, and all of the senses are invigorated. Just a mile away at Gilpin Lake House, six gorgeous rooms share a fully staffed boutique hotel with a heated indoor swimming pool (for Lake House guests only), outdoor hot tubs and saunas, and exclusive access to 100 acres of grounds with a stunningly beautiful private lake. Our chauffeurs bring you to the hotel in the evening to dine. Dine in either the Michelin starred main restaurant, 'Hrishi', where Hrishikesh Desai combines great Lake District produce and classic methods to deliver unbelievable textures and flavours with just a twist of Asia, or in 'Gilpin Spice' a new informal restaurant transcending international boundaries, with an open kitchen focussing on dishes from the spice trail spanning the Indian sub-continent, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, the Philippines, Japan and China. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Gilpin Hotel & Lake House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gilpin Hotel And Lake House
- Gilpin Hotel Windermere
- Gilpin Lodge Windermere
- Gilpin Hotel & Lake House Windermere, Lake District