We stayed at the Lake House for 3 nights in October 2011. There are only 6 rooms there and each is individually styled and furnished. Beds are large and bathrooms are well appointed. There is also a lovely lounge (with woodstove) overlooking the private 4 acre lake, Knipe Tarn, with 2 rowing boats and a pretty little jetty with a couple for chairs. There is also a very pleasant conservatory overlooking the lake and grounds.
There is a good swimming pool and an outdoor hot tub as well as pathways through the grounds. Unfortunately, disabled access to the pool, lake and paths is difficult (or impossible) but the views and the wonderful, peaceful setting can be enjoyed by everyone.
Guests at the Lake House take breakfast in the conservatory and can have afternoon tea with lovely sandwiches, cakes etc but eat dinner at Gilpin Lodge, about 5 minutes drive away. Don't worry about drinking and driving because a complementary chauffeured car is laid on to transport guests from the Lake House to Gilpin Lodge and back.
All the staff at the Lake House were very friendly and helpful and enhanced the wonderful setting of the house by their attitude.
A place to be recommended if you want a luxury break in a quiet setting - but luxury doesn't come cheaply!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the heart of Gilpin is a very passionate family and team, dedicated to creating lasting memories for their guests, who return time and again for celebrations and escapes. Warmth and friendliness are balanced with extraordinary service, exquisite décor and stunning culinary experiences. This five star hotel comprises two separate estates in the beautiful Lake District, with a luxury country house on each. At Gilpin Hotel all of the 25 bedrooms have lovely Lakeland views, most leading directly onto the gardens - including six Garden Suites with their own cedarwood hot tubs, and five fabulous detached Spa Lodges. The Spa Lodges were added in 2016, and are cedar-clad with king size beds, gorgeous bathrooms and a fabulously private en-suite spa each, with a convertible treatment area, steam room, rain maker shower, free standing oval stone bath, outdoor sauna and hydrotherapy hot tub surrounded by a walled garden. Add this to the mood lighting, fires, electric blinds and a state-of-the-art music system, and all of the senses are invigorated. Just a mile away at Gilpin Lake House, six gorgeous rooms share a fully staffed boutique hotel with a heated indoor swimming pool (for Lake House guests only), outdoor hot tubs and saunas, and exclusive access to 100 acres of grounds with a stunningly beautiful private lake. Our chauffeurs bring you to the hotel in the evening to dine. Dine in either the Michelin starred main restaurant, 'Hrishi', where Hrishikesh Desai combines great Lake District produce and classic methods to deliver unbelievable textures and flavours with just a twist of Asia, or in 'Gilpin Spice' a new informal restaurant transcending international boundaries, with an open kitchen focussing on dishes from the spice trail spanning the Indian sub-continent, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, the Philippines, Japan and China. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Traveltool, S.L.U., Odigeo, Hotels.com, Agoda, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Gilpin Hotel & Lake House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gilpin Hotel And Lake House
- Gilpin Hotel Windermere
- Gilpin Lodge Windermere
- Gilpin Hotel & Lake House Windermere, Lake District