A lovely break in-between Christmas & New Year with the very friendly and helpful staff at Gilpin Lodge. We stayed in one of the new garden rooms, separated from the main hotel (20 seconds walk) Our room was sergeant mann, a large room with high vaulted ceiling, enormous bathroom and comfortable sitting area. Outside we had a private deck and Canadian Cedar Wood Hot tub (lovely on a cold night). The only disappointments were, no wifi in these rooms yet (routers installed so shouldn't be long), the TV being too small for the room (difficult to read tv guide from sofa or bed) and the 'modern' flame effect fire hung on the wall could have been improved by a log burner, gas or real fire.
The meals (breakfast & dinner) included in the price were both excellent, fine dining in the lakes was a really pleasant surprise, a great wine list (slightly overpriced) and very attentive staff. The menu, whilst not extensive was well crafted and provided enough choices for our 3 day stay.
The talented team at Gilpin have bought together some of the best features from hotels around the world and pulled them together in a blend of traditional and contemporary style.
Well worth a visit, but keep away from the chips & ice cream brigade in Bowness !!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the heart of Gilpin is a very passionate family and team, dedicated to creating lasting memories for their guests, who return time and again for celebrations and escapes. Warmth and friendliness are balanced with extraordinary service, exquisite décor and stunning culinary experiences. This five star hotel comprises two separate estates in the beautiful Lake District, with a luxury country house on each. At Gilpin Hotel all of the 25 bedrooms have lovely Lakeland views, most leading directly onto the gardens - including six Garden Suites with their own cedarwood hot tubs, and five fabulous detached Spa Lodges. The Spa Lodges were added in 2016, and are cedar-clad with king size beds, gorgeous bathrooms and a fabulously private en-suite spa each, with a convertible treatment area, steam room, rain maker shower, free standing oval stone bath, outdoor sauna and hydrotherapy hot tub surrounded by a walled garden. Add this to the mood lighting, fires, electric blinds and a state-of-the-art music system, and all of the senses are invigorated. Just a mile away at Gilpin Lake House, six gorgeous rooms share a fully staffed boutique hotel with a heated indoor swimming pool (for Lake House guests only), outdoor hot tubs and saunas, and exclusive access to 100 acres of grounds with a stunningly beautiful private lake. Our chauffeurs bring you to the hotel in the evening to dine. Dine in either the Michelin starred main restaurant, 'Hrishi', where Hrishikesh Desai combines great Lake District produce and classic methods to deliver unbelievable textures and flavours with just a twist of Asia, or in 'Gilpin Spice' a new informal restaurant transcending international boundaries, with an open kitchen focussing on dishes from the spice trail spanning the Indian sub-continent, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, the Philippines, Japan and China. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Ebookers, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Gilpin Hotel & Lake House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gilpin Hotel And Lake House
- Gilpin Hotel Windermere
- Gilpin Lodge Windermere
- Gilpin Hotel & Lake House Windermere, Lake District