1,588 results
All reviewsgarden suitehot tubjetty spaspa lodgesthe main hoteldollywagon pikecunliffe familyspice restaurantjunior suitemichelin stardining roomstasting menumaster roomcrinkle cragsafternoon teaboat housemini moon
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Our first time to Gilpin & not the last as we booked for the New Year Gala Dinner as we departed. Stayed in a Garden suite which had patio doors onto a decked area including a hot tub, overlooking gardens, the sound of a stream & the birds singing. The last time I remember such serenity was 10 years ago in The Maldives. Whilst the house is traditional the interior is amazing with a contemporary twist. Well done to all involved with the interior designing it is beautiful. The place runs like clockwork. Every member of staff very attentive, professional but also a relaxed atmosphere which was very soothing. The house manager Sarah did a wonderful job & we enjoyed her company very much. Food was excellent & all needs catered for without question. Massages both in house & at Lake House were delightful. The treatment area at Lake House is a treat even before the treatment begins. Attention to detail in all areas of the hotel were exceptional & more than exceeded my expectations.

Room Tip: If you want to stay in the Hotel for the majority of your time definately choose a suite.
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Another stay at our favourite hotel. Fantastic as ever. Stayed on a Monday night and were upgraded to a spa room. The phoned us the night before so that we knew to bring swimming costumes for the hot tub. Room superb, 3rd time we have stayed in Catbells. Food amazing. Staff friendly and relaxed. This feels like home. I cannot fault this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms with hot tubs are special.
1  Thank Maltesergirl
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We have just spent my birthday at Gilpin Lodge. What a treat! From the lovely warm welcome by Jessica, to the delight with our Junior Suite, we had a most enjoyable day and evening. Unusual and delightful tastes at dinner, beautifully presented and served by smiling staff. The house is warm, beautifully furnished and extremely quiet and comfortable in every way. The breakfast fantastic and could not be bettered, local fresh produce served in a relaxed way but with the understated professionalism as befits this lovely establishment. We stayed in Troutbeck and hope to return. Thankyou Gorgeous Gilpin.

1  Thank Brian B
Reviewed 25 September 2013

This is our second trip and we brought another two couples to share a wonderful weekend. Gilpin Hotel doesn't feel like a hotel. The spaces are intimate and furnished with warm neutrals and a stylish if eclectic mix of accents. It is an understated sort of elegance and beautifully detailed.

The food is memorable and light enough so that you get a chance to taste a little of a lot of things. I am mystified by reviewers who felt hungry after dinner - we felt the quantities were perfect if a little indulgent.

The service is ever present when you need it but not overbearing and Sarah, in the dining room has a wonderful style that engages and welcomes.

My one suggestion is that the reading light in the bedroom was too low a level for me - but a minor problem. And the best bit for me was no mobile reception which meant I really couldn't look at my emails - a true break!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Gilpin_Lodge, Owner at Gilpin Hotel & Lake House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Thank you very much, what a brilliant review. We are so pleased that you all had an excellent stay at the Gilpin Hotel and especially enjoyed the evening meal. Your right, our house manager Sarah is just fantastic!! Thank you for the little note about the reading light in the bedroom we will definitely take note of that.

We will look forward to welcoming you back for your third visit!

Kindest regards,
Barney & Zoe Cunliffe

Reviewed 24 September 2013

Sadly we never made it to the Gilpin Hotel. My husband booked a two night break to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. Unbeknown to me, he asked 20 of our friends to join us at the hotel for Sunday lunch to celebrate. The hotel told him they would not allow children under 10 to eat there. Our daughter is 6 and the other 4 children invited were older. My husband had to let me in on the surprise because I couldn't understand why they wouldn't allow our daughter to join us. I rang the hotel to ask why this ridiculous rule was in place - they were making the assumption my daughter was badly behaved. The manager was abrupt and kept interrupting. She said she would get the food & beverages manager to ring back. He didn't. I rang again, same response. Finally I spoke to the food & beverage manager who apologised and said there should never have been a problem as we would have had a separate dining room anyway because of the numbers involved. Sadly, the whole experience tainted the surprise, and the weekend away. We decided to cancel the entire thing. We feel let down and disappointed by, what looked like a fantastic hotel.

9  Thank Jocham72
Gilpin_Lodge, Owner at Gilpin Hotel & Lake House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Thank you for your post, we are sorry that you feel aggrieved. There was no assumption that your child is badly behaved, we simply don’t take children under 7. We are parents ourselves with a young child, indeed this hotel is often full of young parents getting away for the night for the first time (leaving their children with family). We do frequently consider the fact that we don’t take young children but always come to the same conclusion – whilst some hotel are fantastic for children, we are not, and many people visit us because of this.

Unfortunately it was only after the booking had been made that we were made aware that one of your party was under seven. Of course a certain flexibility is necessary but the person that you were originally talking to wouldn't have the authority to make that decision. However our Food and Beverage Manager subsequently went out of his way to reassure you that we could make an exception and that you would have his special attention, but at this point you had decided you did not wish to proceed with the booking. Again we are very sorry that the surprise was spoiled as a result, and sincerely hope that you had a lovely weekend.

Kind regards,