Superb, I have a saying which my husband says I use when I'm impressed....it's wowsy wow!
Ladies/Gents if any of you are seeking a venue to impress then The Gilpin Hotel fits the bill. Fabulous from the moment we arrived through the door, the staff are incredibly attentive and nothing is too much trouble.
Tradition meets modernity as you pass through the variety of rooms and passages along the beautiful country hotel. Vibrant landscaped gardens with pretty nooks and crannies to share a cheeky smooch, weddings would be lovely there.
The food is high quality, offering locally sourced produce which we sampled during our weekend. The cuisine is very tempting with a wonderful presentation at every course.
You can walk around the wine cellar choosing your own wines and champagnes. All charges are posted to your bill so no need to pay as you go at this establishment.
We opted for a a Garden Suite, Crinkle Crags which offered luxurious fabrics, quality furnishings and lots of extras. The major plus point is the sunken cedar wood hot tub in your own private garden. The decked area off your suite shared views of the grounds and the areas of Windermere beyond. The steamy hot tub was a great pleasure at night, with the garden lights illuminating the decked area, we had our music on low and sipped champagne together under the night stars, with a slight cold nip in the air on your shoulders.
Sadly no fitness centre but a beautician could visit to offer spa treatments.
We had the use of a chauffeur whilst there to travel around the local areas.
Wifi available via a code from reception, you need an individual code per mobile device.
Make sure you take plenty of cash or your credit card, the prices are not for the faint hearted. Dinner starts at £60 per person, with a premium for steak. Wines are measured and you can get caught out, my husbands glasses of red were a minimum of £20 per glass unbeknown to him, he had several across the weekend. Afternoon tea is from £18 per person and a cheese board for two is around £20.
A real must visit venue. Sarah the hotel manager has a great sense if humour whilst delivering a professional, slick service.
Oh don't be surprised if you ask for tomato or brown sauce with breakfast that it looks an unusual colour, everything is homemade...not an HP or Heinz bottle in sight.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the heart of Gilpin is a very passionate family and team, dedicated to creating lasting memories for their guests, who return time and again for celebrations and escapes. Warmth and friendliness are balanced with extraordinary service, exquisite décor and stunning culinary experiences. This five star hotel comprises two separate estates in the beautiful Lake District, with a luxury country house on each. At Gilpin Hotel all of the 25 bedrooms have lovely Lakeland views, most leading directly onto the gardens - including six Garden Suites with their own cedarwood hot tubs, and five fabulous detached Spa Lodges. The Spa Lodges were added in 2016, and are cedar-clad with king size beds, gorgeous bathrooms and a fabulously private en-suite spa each, with a convertible treatment area, steam room, rain maker shower, free standing oval stone bath, outdoor sauna and hydrotherapy hot tub surrounded by a walled garden. Add this to the mood lighting, fires, electric blinds and a state-of-the-art music system, and all of the senses are invigorated. Just a mile away at Gilpin Lake House, six gorgeous rooms share a fully staffed boutique hotel with a heated indoor swimming pool (for Lake House guests only), outdoor hot tubs and saunas, and exclusive access to 100 acres of grounds with a stunningly beautiful private lake. Our chauffeurs bring you to the hotel in the evening to dine. Dine in either the Michelin starred main restaurant, 'Hrishi', where Hrishikesh Desai combines great Lake District produce and classic methods to deliver unbelievable textures and flavours with just a twist of Asia, or in 'Gilpin Spice' a new informal restaurant transcending international boundaries, with an open kitchen focussing on dishes from the spice trail spanning the Indian sub-continent, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, the Philippines, Japan and China. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, World Independent Hotel Promotion and Agoda so you can book your Gilpin Hotel & Lake House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gilpin Hotel And Lake House
- Gilpin Hotel Windermere
- Gilpin Lodge Windermere
- Gilpin Hotel & Lake House Windermere, Lake District