1,588 results
All reviewsgarden suitehot tubjetty spaspa lodgesthe main hoteldollywagon pikecunliffe familyspice restaurantjunior suitemichelin stardining roomstasting menumaster roomcrinkle cragsafternoon teaboat housemini moon
Reviewed 11 October 2013

My wife Sarah-Jane and I have just returned from 5 marvellous days spent at Gilpin Lodge Lake house. From the moment we arrived and were greeted by Laurentiu, we knew we'd chosen well.
We stayed in 'Ethel', one of the ground floor rooms overlooking the lake. The room was spacious and well appointed with very tasteful furnishings and additions. The Lake House itself is a beautiful creation and the owners have managed to strike a perfect balance between 'hotel' and 'country house'. We couldn't have wished for a better place to escape and relax. The boat-house, spa, pool and lake add additional dimensions to the house. So the accommodation was well beyond expectations.
Guests at the Lake House travel to Gilpin Lodge in the evening for dinner. Some may see this as a inconvenience, but Andrew the chauffeur made even this short journey an absolute pleasure. Dinner at Gilpin lodge is an experience in itself. We were delivered every evening right to the front door and greeted by attentive and friendly staff. We dinned in a number of the 4 dining areas, all exquisite and charming in different ways. The food is outstanding and I could wax lyrical about the oysters, steak, lamb, venison.... wow! With an astonishing cellar of wines to choose from, we were thankful to Alex for his expertise and refreshing manner to help guide our selection. Every night was a culinary delight.
So the accommodation is faultless, the cuisine is impeccable, but neither of those elements are what we will remember most. Gilpin Lodge & Lake House is made great by its staff. Sarah (Hotel manager) & Renato (F&B manager) have built a phenomenal team that are entirely focused on ensuring their guests' every need is met. I commend their attitude, professionalism and friendliness - nothing was too much trouble. In addition the staff at the Lake House became great friends in the short time we were there. Heather, Patrick, Laurentiu, and the rest of the team including the Spa staff are a new family that we look forward to visiting again and again.
And finally a big thank you to John, Christine, Barney & Zoe. You have created a gem in the heart of Lakeland. Keep it polished, cherish your staff & don't stop doing what you're doing. We will be back to see you again very soon.
Jim & Sarah-Jane

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Jim L
Gilpin_Lodge, Owner at Gilpin Hotel & Lake House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to write such an excellent review it was an absolute joy to read! We will all look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Kindest regards,
Barney & Zoe Cunliffe

Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for my honeymoon for a few nights. The hotel itself has the most wonderful feel, cosy and plush. Staff very helpful, lent us a torch and map. Room was huge and had everything we wanted, and the cedar hot tub is fantastic! They are really deep, and great for relaxing.

Price is my only complaint, its more expensive than other hotels in the same bracket.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank js0754

Thank you for choosing Gilpin Hotel to spend your honeymoon we are really pleased you had a wonderful stay with us. Our Garden Suites are beautifully designed and are a perfect place to spend a special occasion. They are luxurious rooms all with their own private cedar wood hot tubs which we feel that the price reflects this.

We do hope to welcome you back in the future.

Kindest regards,
Barney & Zoe Cunliffe

Reviewed 8 October 2013

My wife and I have just spent 4 nights in the Thirlmere suite for our 45 th wedding anniversary and 5 years ago spent our 40 th anniversary in the Patterdale suite, so we knew what to expect.

Well appointed rooms, and all staff fantastic and most people actually dress properly for dinner!

Our first night was slightly marred by the fact that dinner actually took far too long to arrive as the result of a large party dining, and for which we had previously been asked to delay our reservation slightly before we arrived. With my cheese course arriving some 45 minutes after the main meal I had to decline it with the main waiter stating that he was mortified with profuse apologies offered.

The next night two free glasses of champagne arrived compliments of the manager because of the previous nights problems. On checkout after 4 nights stay the whole of the first nights meal was not charged for without me requesting any form of refund which was appreciated, not for the money but the fact that they had recognised that this experience had been below their usual high standards.

A couple of observations for the management. Whilst we stayed during some fairly mild weather all of the public rooms were a little too hot for comfort, particularly if you were wearing a jacket.

The food was excellent but we could have done with slightly more substance in respect of the main course.

However, I would not wish for these two minor points to detract from our excellent stay.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank alanrixon
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I booked a 2 night stay here which included dinner. The overall experience was great but it certainly was pricey.

The hotel is located about 2 miles from Lake Windemere. There are numerous walks and trails surrounding the property. It's a great hotel to explore the Lake District.

The public spaces are very comfortable. Large rooms with ample seating and blazing fires. There are also numerous dining rooms that were alternated for different meals. Food, both dinner and breakfast were great. The bedrooms are very comfortable and spacious and the bathrooms are supplied with ample Molton Brown products (which made my scrawny friend very happy). While lots of hotels provide tea making facilities in bedrooms, the Gilpin also provides a teapot which was very welcome.

During our stay, we climbed England's highest mountain Scaffell Pike. Unfortunately my Scrawny friend got us lost on the mountain and by the time we returned to the hotel, the dining room was closed. however, the staff was very accommodating and arranged for soup and sandwiches to be delivered to our room.

While I would recommend this hotel, it was very expensive and whether it was worth every penny is questionable,

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank ThomasheenOgRua
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Having happily visited Gilpin Hotel and the Lakehouse on many occasions im amazed that every visit is better than the last ( which is incredible) this Is down to lots of hard work and thought by all involved. We stayed at The Lakehouse in Beatrice which is a lovely room .. The jetty trail spa was fabulous... A must for all couples wanting to find a bit of together time in this busy world.. It was all about spending time together rather than just heading to a treatment room for hours of massage. I was so impressed with Jo who runs the spa.. Everything she uses is made by her and her staff to order for you.. Down to the spritz you use in sauna!! I loved the boathouse where you cosy down after wonderful massage to chill then on to the hot tub. The Lakehouse is run like it is your home for your stay .. They will and do everything they possibly can for your comfort. Dinner is taken over at the Hotel...the bar areas.. The food, service you could never ever fault.. The staff are like one big family and everyone cares about your experience and time with them. The chef is adventurous.. But not so that everyone cant enjoy all of the different aspects of the meal from the smokey popcorn nibbles right through to the yummy petit fours. It is the ultimate treat and we will be visiting again soon as I know there are more new things planned for the future. I love that the owners are so hands on and forward thinking .. Their presence is a major part of the wonderful experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple