1,589 results
All reviewsgarden suitehot tubjetty spaspa lodgesthe main hoteldollywagon pikecunliffe familyspice restaurantjunior suitemichelin stardining roomstasting menumaster roomcrinkle cragsafternoon teaboat housemini moon
Reviewed 17 October 2013

There is always a certain trepidation about revisiting somewhere on holiday. Will it be as lovely as we remembered? At the Gilpin, there was no need to worry. We stayed last year in the Dollywagon Pike Garden Suite, which was fabulous. We chose the Sargent Man Suite for this visit and for us it was even better. It was so secluded and quiet you truly could forget you were in a hotel - just want we wanted. The room was beautiful, and the view from the hot tub was stunning.
The food was as high a standard as our previous visit. Regarding the evening menu, the lamb was so good my (highly critical) husband ordered it twice. For me, it's all about the breakfast. It truly is an experience in itself. I think the rarebit just edged it as my favourite breakfast but it was a close call!
However what makes Gilpin so special is the service. Absolutely nothing was too much trouble. Every little detail is catered for - umbrellas in the room and cosy blankets if you get nippy outside. From the friendly concierge who brought us to our suite, to the charming waiting staff and the managers who remember every little detail, they make the most impressive service team we have ever encountered. My husband and I were discussing this during our stay - we came to the conclusion that what makes Gilpin so special is that the staff make your visit as formal or as informal as you like. If you want formal service, with professional waiters and great service you can have it. But if you want to chat, get a recommendation for a cocktail, or the footie results you just need to ask. It truly is a special skill to accommodate everyone's needs, and the Gilpin does it seamlessly.
I happened to mention at booking that it was our 10th wedding anniversary. As another lovely touch we got a candle and a celebration plate delivered to our table - a lovely icing on a fabulous cake.
I'm certain we'll be back next year for another treat.......!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank princesspenny
Gilpin_Lodge, Owner at Gilpin Hotel & Lake House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Wonderful! Thank you very much indeed for the perfect review and for choosing the Gilpin Hotel and Lake House again for your break away.

We will definitely look forward to welcoming you both back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

This review is overdue, sorry.
My wife, son and I stayed at The Lake House for ten nights in July. The room was superb, with a small single room off the main bedroom for our son. The setting is so beautiful and very peaceful. The Lake House staff and Mr & Mrs Cunliffe (senior and junior) made us very welcome indeed and catered to our every need including a superb barbecue by the lake for our son's 13th birthday. I can not praise the owners and staff enough. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank bam333

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Gilpin Lake House, you stayed in our beautiful Lake House Suite called Beatrice so you know for next time.

We will all look forward to welcoming the three of you back soon!

Kindest regards

Reviewed 11 October 2013

My wife Sarah-Jane and I have just returned from 5 marvellous days spent at Gilpin Lodge Lake house. From the moment we arrived and were greeted by Laurentiu, we knew we'd chosen well.
We stayed in 'Ethel', one of the ground floor rooms overlooking the lake. The room was spacious and well appointed with very tasteful furnishings and additions. The Lake House itself is a beautiful creation and the owners have managed to strike a perfect balance between 'hotel' and 'country house'. We couldn't have wished for a better place to escape and relax. The boat-house, spa, pool and lake add additional dimensions to the house. So the accommodation was well beyond expectations.
Guests at the Lake House travel to Gilpin Lodge in the evening for dinner. Some may see this as a inconvenience, but Andrew the chauffeur made even this short journey an absolute pleasure. Dinner at Gilpin lodge is an experience in itself. We were delivered every evening right to the front door and greeted by attentive and friendly staff. We dinned in a number of the 4 dining areas, all exquisite and charming in different ways. The food is outstanding and I could wax lyrical about the oysters, steak, lamb, venison.... wow! With an astonishing cellar of wines to choose from, we were thankful to Alex for his expertise and refreshing manner to help guide our selection. Every night was a culinary delight.
So the accommodation is faultless, the cuisine is impeccable, but neither of those elements are what we will remember most. Gilpin Lodge & Lake House is made great by its staff. Sarah (Hotel manager) & Renato (F&B manager) have built a phenomenal team that are entirely focused on ensuring their guests' every need is met. I commend their attitude, professionalism and friendliness - nothing was too much trouble. In addition the staff at the Lake House became great friends in the short time we were there. Heather, Patrick, Laurentiu, and the rest of the team including the Spa staff are a new family that we look forward to visiting again and again.
And finally a big thank you to John, Christine, Barney & Zoe. You have created a gem in the heart of Lakeland. Keep it polished, cherish your staff & don't stop doing what you're doing. We will be back to see you again very soon.
Jim & Sarah-Jane

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Jim L
Gilpin_Lodge, Owner at Gilpin Hotel & Lake House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to write such an excellent review it was an absolute joy to read! We will all look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for my honeymoon for a few nights. The hotel itself has the most wonderful feel, cosy and plush. Staff very helpful, lent us a torch and map. Room was huge and had everything we wanted, and the cedar hot tub is fantastic! They are really deep, and great for relaxing.

Price is my only complaint, its more expensive than other hotels in the same bracket.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank js0754

Thank you for choosing Gilpin Hotel to spend your honeymoon we are really pleased you had a wonderful stay with us. Our Garden Suites are beautifully designed and are a perfect place to spend a special occasion. They are luxurious rooms all with their own private cedar wood hot tubs which we feel that the price reflects this.

We do hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

My wife and I have just spent 4 nights in the Thirlmere suite for our 45 th wedding anniversary and 5 years ago spent our 40 th anniversary in the Patterdale suite, so we knew what to expect.

Well appointed rooms, and all staff fantastic and most people actually dress properly for dinner!

Our first night was slightly marred by the fact that dinner actually took far too long to arrive as the result of a large party dining, and for which we had previously been asked to delay our reservation slightly before we arrived. With my cheese course arriving some 45 minutes after the main meal I had to decline it with the main waiter stating that he was mortified with profuse apologies offered.

The next night two free glasses of champagne arrived compliments of the manager because of the previous nights problems. On checkout after 4 nights stay the whole of the first nights meal was not charged for without me requesting any form of refund which was appreciated, not for the money but the fact that they had recognised that this experience had been below their usual high standards.

A couple of observations for the management. Whilst we stayed during some fairly mild weather all of the public rooms were a little too hot for comfort, particularly if you were wearing a jacket.

The food was excellent but we could have done with slightly more substance in respect of the main course.

However, I would not wish for these two minor points to detract from our excellent stay.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple