1,596 results
All reviews garden suite hot tub jetty spa spa lodges the main hotel dollywagon pike cunliffe family spice restaurant junior suite michelin star dining rooms tasting menu master room crinkle crags afternoon tea boat house mini moon
Reviewed 20 October 2013

My wife and myself had dinner at The Gilpin this week and it was really on form - the food was close to perfect and the service sublime. We had 5 courses and allowed their sommelier to choose matching wines, glad we did too! We've had the good fortune of eating at a lot of great places, so it's quite an accolade that my better half said it could have been one the **best meals she'd ever eaten**. If you are looking for a special place to have dinner, this is the place - really fabulous delicious food, great service all in a really great environment with fabulous interior design 10/10.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Gilpin_Lodge, Owner at Gilpin Hotel & Lake House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Superb review! Thank you very much for reviewing your recent dining experience with us at the Gilpin Hotel.

We will look forward to seeing you both again.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

Every time I stay it's always as good as the last. We have had different room types over our various stays and each is cosy, very clean, and quiet!!

The staff are great and really attentive and we are always looked after so well, they are really friendly and service is quick and flawless. The food is gorgeous and never fails to impress. The only negative I would have is that I was ill during my evening meal (nothing to do with there food) during one stay and so had to leave after my starter, but was still charged for the main that I was unable to eat :(

That aside I have been back since and everytime me and my boyfriend stay we leave thoroughly relaxed. It's hard not to be with such beautiful surroundings, lovely staff and amazing food! :)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Love, love, love this review, thank you very much! It is great to hear that as a returning guest your stay is always excellent with us. Sorry that you were changed for your dinner on the one evening you were feeling unwell this should have been removed from your bill; we will however, look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

The other day we four friends had an afternoon tea at Gilpin Lodge Hotel - it was magnificent!
Extremely enjoyable - with lovely open sandwiches (the nicest bread ever!) with lashings of topping. A most amazing
selection of cakes - even an ice-cream lollypop! It was really, really good - go and check it out!
The hotel itself is a beautiful place to be -fabulous decor and great country views.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for reviewing your wonderful afternoon tea experience at the Gilpin Hotel, we are so pleased you had a delightful time with us and will look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

I just love the staff here, they made us feel so special.

We had a beautiful room and they helped us with walks and cycle rides

The chef is fantastic and bar one small delay with our meal on one occasion everything was fab.

Such a wonderful place. .

The

Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Naomi21w

Thank you for your excellent review, it is so nice to read that you were looked after in the best possible way and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

There is always a certain trepidation about revisiting somewhere on holiday. Will it be as lovely as we remembered? At the Gilpin, there was no need to worry. We stayed last year in the Dollywagon Pike Garden Suite, which was fabulous. We chose the Sargent Man Suite for this visit and for us it was even better. It was so secluded and quiet you truly could forget you were in a hotel - just want we wanted. The room was beautiful, and the view from the hot tub was stunning.
The food was as high a standard as our previous visit. Regarding the evening menu, the lamb was so good my (highly critical) husband ordered it twice. For me, it's all about the breakfast. It truly is an experience in itself. I think the rarebit just edged it as my favourite breakfast but it was a close call!
However what makes Gilpin so special is the service. Absolutely nothing was too much trouble. Every little detail is catered for - umbrellas in the room and cosy blankets if you get nippy outside. From the friendly concierge who brought us to our suite, to the charming waiting staff and the managers who remember every little detail, they make the most impressive service team we have ever encountered. My husband and I were discussing this during our stay - we came to the conclusion that what makes Gilpin so special is that the staff make your visit as formal or as informal as you like. If you want formal service, with professional waiters and great service you can have it. But if you want to chat, get a recommendation for a cocktail, or the footie results you just need to ask. It truly is a special skill to accommodate everyone's needs, and the Gilpin does it seamlessly.
I happened to mention at booking that it was our 10th wedding anniversary. As another lovely touch we got a candle and a celebration plate delivered to our table - a lovely icing on a fabulous cake.
I'm certain we'll be back next year for another treat.......!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank princesspenny
Gilpin_Lodge, Owner at Gilpin Hotel & Lake House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Wonderful! Thank you very much indeed for the perfect review and for choosing the Gilpin Hotel and Lake House again for your break away.

We will definitely look forward to welcoming you both back in the not too distant future.