We have been staying here regularly for the last 5 years. The welcome is always warm, the owners Barney and Zoe take time to speak to the guests and nothing is too much trouble.
Gordon the general manager and executive chef has revamped the food, it now matches the stunning rooms. His enthusiasm was infectious, we just happened to comment on the quality of all things the butter, it is apparently one of Gordons finds from Scotland, he then arranged for a container of it to be chauffeured to the lake house to catch up with us so we could take some home! Thanks this is true attention to detail.
The jetty spa is a fantastic new addition, Tamar gave me a much needed massage to get the knots out of my muscles.I cannot imagine a spa with a better view.
The revamped dining room is lovely, very relaxing and it was good to have an easily accessible reception now ( although John felt it took some of the character of the old building away.)
Andrew the chauffeur is very friendly, he was very disappointed to find out he had kept us waiting for 10mins as a result of a communication error with the hotel , so organised complimentary drinks.
The service in the restaurant is efficient but friendly , being served the chateaubriand was almost entertainment in itself and it tasted fabulous.
The whole relaxing experience is only possible by the hard work and attention too detail from, Zoe, Barney and all the staff both in the hotel and Lake house.
The two down sides we found was the pool could have been a little cleaner, may be its harder to fit this in now due to the popularity of the spa ? The new communication systems the senior staff have meant that some were furtively "whispering" into their cuffs asking questions like a spy thriller! ( still it gave us a laugh!)
All in all a wonderful hotel, but don't tell everyone as they will all want to come.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the heart of Gilpin is a very passionate family and team, dedicated to creating lasting memories for their guests, who return time and again for celebrations and escapes. Warmth and friendliness are balanced with extraordinary service, exquisite décor and stunning culinary experiences. This five star hotel comprises two separate estates in the beautiful Lake District, with a luxury country house on each. At Gilpin Hotel all of the 25 bedrooms have lovely Lakeland views, most leading directly onto the gardens - including six Garden Suites with their own cedarwood hot tubs, and five fabulous detached Spa Lodges. The Spa Lodges were added in 2016, and are cedar-clad with king size beds, gorgeous bathrooms and a fabulously private en-suite spa each, with a convertible treatment area, steam room, rain maker shower, free standing oval stone bath, outdoor sauna and hydrotherapy hot tub surrounded by a walled garden. Add this to the mood lighting, fires, electric blinds and a state-of-the-art music system, and all of the senses are invigorated. Just a mile away at Gilpin Lake House, six gorgeous rooms share a fully staffed boutique hotel with a heated indoor swimming pool (for Lake House guests only), outdoor hot tubs and saunas, and exclusive access to 100 acres of grounds with a stunningly beautiful private lake. Our chauffeurs bring you to the hotel in the evening to dine. Dine in either the Michelin starred main restaurant, 'Hrishi', where Hrishikesh Desai combines great Lake District produce and classic methods to deliver unbelievable textures and flavours with just a twist of Asia, or in 'Gilpin Spice' a new informal restaurant transcending international boundaries, with an open kitchen focussing on dishes from the spice trail spanning the Indian sub-continent, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, the Philippines, Japan and China. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Priceline, Hotels.com, Ebookers, World Independent Hotel Promotion, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Gilpin Hotel & Lake House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gilpin Hotel And Lake House
- Gilpin Hotel Windermere
- Gilpin Lodge Windermere
- Gilpin Hotel & Lake House Windermere, Lake District