“Fabulous Stay !!”

Ranked #94 of 108 Windermere B&B and Inns
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
“Fabulous Stay !!”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

This was an absolute 'Gem" of a find for my daughter and I. Nestled between Windermere village and Bowness a perfect location and within walking distance of all the lovely local bars and restaurants , two yummy eateries to try are the Angel Inn.....great for lunch and Little Italy for great cocktails and delish Pizzas in the evening. The B & B was beautifully decorated and clean and our room very cosy with a super comfy bed so a wonderful nights sleep guaranteed.

The absolute 'ultimate' was the beautiful roomy roll top bath, just a total luxury after a long day walking..........and there was certainly PLENTY of hot water to keep topping up !!

Debbie is a Star.......nothing was too much trouble, and she is more than willing to help with anything you may require during your stay. All in all , a perfect stay, lovely family and will definitely return in the future !!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Deborah C, Owner at Oakthwaite, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you so much for such a glowing review and the compliments. We are delighted you both had such a lovely stay with us and very much look forward to welcoming you back. Well done with the recommendations too (Little Italy being Cafe Italia). Thanks again.

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Hull
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I booked this so called 'luxury' B&B for two nights for a romantic break with my partner (after reading positive reviews on Trip Advisor) although it turned out to be a disaster from start to finish. Upon our arrival to Oakthwaite we were greeted by one of the owners after ten minutes of knocking on the front door. He advised us that his wife Deborah would come and check us in later when she was available and we proceeded to unpack our things whilst we waited. During this time I visited the bathroom (which was very small but tastefully decorated) and immediately noticed the bathroom suite and toilet were unclean and covered in hair. This was not the first hair we found during our stay although it was the least of our bathroom issues. Deborah eventually arrived at our room and explained the directions to the local bars and shops before advising us that she and her husband would be unavailable for the duration of our stay due to the fact they had prior engagements. We did not foresee this being an issue initially as we planned to get on with enjoying our break. Deborah explained that breakfast would be served on site for a brief period although advised we could attend a local café to enjoy breakfast if this was not preferable. I made Deborah aware of the hairs in the bathroom and she apologised but said there was nothing she could do until the cleaner did her rinds at around lunchtime the following day!!! The following morning we had a lie in and went to make a cup of tea with the kettle provided. However, in doing so we realised there was no milk or fridge in the room so my partner switched on the television whilst I proceeded to jump in the shower. When turning the shower on the water was freezing cold so I turned the heat up to full although this did not alter the temperature one bit. Due to the fact that the guest house was unmanned for the day as the owners were out, there was unfortunately nothing we could do about this problem at the time. My partner was also disappointed as the room had been advertised with Wi-Fi ad Sky channels and we were unable to access either of these facilities. We went out for the full day and upon our return the room was as we had left it with no sign of a cleaner anywhere and the owners were still unavailable. We were booked in for a meal in a local restaurant that evening so we started to get ready and my partner got in the shower (Although we had no clean towels to dry ourselves with at this time) Once again, the shower was freezing cold so I went back downstairs to see if the proprietors had returned and they had just got back. I explained to the owner Deborah that we had not had any bit water during our stay and I also made her aware that no cleaner had been in to our room and that consequently, it was still dirty from the previous guests and that we also had no towels. Deborah explained that their cleaner had called in sick and that they had not been able to notify any of the guests as they had been in Leeds. She then offered to bring towels to the room and I asked her husband about the hot water issue. He replied that there wasn't much they could do about it as someone must be running a bath but said he would turn an immersion heater on. When I mentioned the Sky issue we were advised this was not advertised in the rooms (which it was when we booked and we then took a screen shot of the website and showed them) Additionally, we were advised that there was a Wi-Fi code which we could use to access this facility in our room although when we double checked this was not there. When we questioned this again at the end of our stay in the form of a written complaint Deborah advised us that they did not provide these details in the room due to 'security' purposes which completely contradicted what they had told us previously. Deborah then brought some towels up to our room but made no offer to have it cleaned. She then confirmed they were going out again so would not be contacts them which proved annoying when yet again, the water failed to heat up. The next morning I got in the shower before checking out and was amazed to find that the water was hot...that is for all of two minutes before it went off completely and I was forced to stand with soap all over me until it came back on around fifteen minutes later. I could go on but I am getting annoyed just thinking about this disastrous trip away. When we finally found someone available to check us out we again mentioned all of the above and were advised to update Deborah again regarding our dissatisfaction when she was 'next available.' Upon our return home I emailed Deborah regarding all of the above and got an initial email back saying 'Oh dear, where do I start?' I was puzzled by this response as I was unclear as to whether or not she was going to elaborate on this. However, she did eventually but this was filled with contradictions and blatant untruths (she claimed a 'relief' cleaner that had not been mentioned previously had visited our room but had not been able to get in as we were still in there-this did not happen which is proven by the times she stated and the receipts I have showing we were already out and about at this time) At no point were we offered a resolution to our issues and so I ended up paying £200 pounds to stay in a dirty, unkempt guesthouse room with no hot water and a distinct lack of customer care. No doubt the proprietors of Oakthwaite will respond to this post with their take on events...at which point I will publish the other ridiculous correspondence they sent in reply to my written complaint which will only highlight their lack of professionalism and customer service. If you want a nice stay in the Lakes I strongly recommend you give Oakthwaite a miss based on our extremely poor experience here.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jane w
Lakestay, Owner at Oakthwaite, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
This review is currently under investigation with Trip Advisor.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Went to the lakes to propose to my fiancee, the hosts were briliant especially with the knowledge of the area so we knew where to go on such short notice. The whole experience was cosy and felt really comfortable there.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Deborah C, Owner at Oakthwaite, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for your lovely review Adam. We weer delighted to help with such a special break in the lakes and hope to welcome Holly & yourself back for many anniversaries to come.
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

A fantastic B & B with a very welcoming host. It has been decorated to a top standard. Breakfast was available in a lovely little cafe in the town which was lovely. Would definitely recommend. Thank you very much for making us feel welcome.

My only improvement that I would like to see would be some lovely big bath towels! Everything else was perfect.

• Stayed October 2013
Lakestay, Owner at Oakthwaite, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
What a lovely review and thank you for taking the time to do so and also for your helpful comments. We hope to welcome you back again very soon.
Reviewed 12 September 2013

My friend and I recently visited Oakthwaite for 2nights and we genuinely couldn't say any more positive about our experience. The guesthouse is set in beautifully kept grounds ideally situated between Windermere and Bowness. The room was immaculate and very cosy but the 'pièce de résistance' was the separate bathroom with roll-top bath and shower cubicle (fantastic shower) which really stole limelight. Our stay was made even better because of the host Deborah. Deborah made us feel very welcome, was very approachable and was very knowledgable when recommending places to eat and drink. We would thoroughly recommend anyone to stay at Oakthwaite as I'm sure you will certainly enjoy your experience here. Thanks again Debbie.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank igordean1
DMH2011, Manager at Oakthwaite, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Wow! what a review. Thank you so much for your kind comments and we were delighted that you chose Oakthwaite and had such a lovely stay with us. We hope this was the first of many more visits and look forward to welcoming you back soon? Thank you also for your feedback on the kettle.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2013

My Wife and I initially struggled to find the hotel, as there is no typical signage outside, however once we arrived were delighted with our choice. Deborah makes you very welcome and you feel like you are sharing the house rather than a paying guest. The room was lovely, very spacious and plenty of wardrobe/storage areas, unlike some higher star hotels we have stayed in. The location, just off the main rd equidistant between Windermere and Bowness is ideal, as it only takes about 15 minute to walk to either parts of the town. We would recommend Oakthwaite to anyone appreciating a quiet relaxing break in one of the most beautiful parts of the country.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Lakestay, Owner at Oakthwaite, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
We are delighted to read you had such an enjoyable stay with us and wish to thank you for your kind review following your stay at Oakthwaite. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon and appreciate your reccommendations.
Oswestry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Just arrived home from a 2 night stay at Oakthwaite. Great place to stay after a long day of travelling and walking. Room was so comfy and clean and external private bathroom was exactly the same. Beautiful decor all around the house and well furnished all round too. We were shown to our room by a young lad & although not many words exchanged he still told us what we needed to know. Continental breakfast was good although tea & toast is all we needed. Parking was good and even though we didnt really make the most of it, the garden was gorgeous. Its not a long walk into either Bowness or Windemere but far enough off any main roads (no road noise) and nice long drive way leading to the house. Overall brilliant holiday and great guesthouse. Thanks for a great stay

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Lakestay, Owner at Oakthwaite, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
What a lovely review and thank you so much for taking the time to write such a glowing review.We are always pleased to read when people have enjoyed the house and your stay. We hope to welcome you back again to Oaktwaite very soon.