“Will not return”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Windermere
Broadview Guest House
Ranked #102 of 107 Windermere B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 May 2012

I have never given a bad review yet - and I am sorry to start with this one as I believe the intentions of the host(s) are all good. But truth is, I would be very disappointed if I stumbled upon this place expecting the "wonderful B&B experience" and no one, who could have, had warned me of the inevitable disappointment. I would just like others to avoid such an unhappy encounter.
The host was hospitable and helpful, and I only hope someone will give him/them the feedback necessary to improve and keep up with the modern standards expected of B&B's nowadays.
Since I was in town an extra day and walked around late in the afternoon looking to take the first place that had a vacancy, I jumped on it. But I should have heeded what I detected as the smell of cigarette leftovers in the musty, dank downstairs. Though the signs said "no smoking" (apparently only for the guests, in their rooms?) the smell pervaded my upstairs room.
My room was simply not clean - dusting, vacuuming, bathroom, everything needed attending to. Cobwebs in the corner between bed and dresser, garbage under the bed, room didn't smell fresh, etc.
The breakfast was to standard - no choices - but it was ample and satisfying.
There is no wifi. I frequented Coffee Bar 7 for that (highly, highly recommended: home-cooked, real food that the owner/proprietor cooks and serves with conversation and friendliness.)
Overall, the experience left such a bad feeling in my stomach - that such places actually exist. Again, I write all this only hoping someone can come alongside and assist them to match their product with their honest good intentions.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Andrea F
There are newer reviews for Broadview Guest House
Reviewed 6 May 2012

We were put in "the cottage". Basically a 2nd house about a 5 min walk from the main house. It felt like everything has been skimped on so badly. The 'en suite' was basically a cupboard. Tv didn't work properly. Shower was horrendous! My son had to sleep on a camp bed and was still charged 34 quid. I wondered if the breakfast would redeem things, but no, as expected it was not good. No butter in siight. No choice of cereals. Was no choice offered with regards to the "full English" but it consisted of one bacon, one small sausage, beans and overdone fried bread. I've been to some poor b&bs but this one took the biscuit (not that there were any biscuits!!).

The one positive was that the landlady was very nice and friendly but it just felt liked we'd been ripped off. At 67 quid I would expect less stinginess. I've been in more comfortable bunkhouses for 12 quid a night!

Room Tip: A different b&b might offer a good room!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Pablojohnsonsen
Reviewed 8 October 2011

We still find it hard to believe that we were sucked in to staying at this place for 2(!!!!) nights. It was dirty, the tray left a line when a finger was drawn over it,, the backyard which our bedroom looked over would have done Steptoe and Son proud, the shower flow was virtually non-existent (My wife wouldn't even have a shower), even the UHT milk was off!
Breakfast was served between 8.00 am and 8.15 am with the notice stating that if you were not seated by then, well - tough. The crowning glory of meanness though was that the cutlery was wrapped in a paper napkin that had been cut in half!
Beware of the predatory person just below the i-centre in Windermere who has a sign out offering en-suite rooms at his B&B. He says that this place is full and then re-directs you to the above address. You have been warned.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple