The Samling Hotel
US$197
US$172
Agoda.com
  • Pool
The Windermere Hotel(Windermere)(Great Value!)
US$87
  • Bar/Lounge
US$253
US$220
US$189
Official Site
All reviewstasting menuhot tubdry iceren productspre dessertmichelin starmatching winesnespresso machineafternoon teapetit foursjunior suitetrufflestunning viewsspecial occasionhead chefnew cheflake district
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We had the tasting menu, both carny and veggie and they were both wonderful. There is also a good wine choice. The hotel is a bit tired but very comfy. Only one toilet downstairs for everyone to share and it kept blocking. Tom our waiter on sat night was well overworked, he seemed to do everything (and do it well). George who runs the front of house was good too, his only fault being he watched us struggle up the steps in pouring rain and never came out with a brolly or to grab our luggage. We had a lovely nights sleep in Tethera and we will definitely be returning. The food and views are spectacular.

Room Tip: The deluxe doubles at the front of the hotel have great views
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LindaMoo
Reviewed 12 December 2013

This was a surprise for my wife's birthday one I'm sure she will remember for a long long time! We were met in front of the hotel greeted and assisted with luggage shown to our 'junior suite' while the car was parked on our behalf.We stayed in Pym this was in the roof space although not doing the room any justice with my description as it was delightful, beautiful decor and outstanding views teamed with the flowers and bubbly I requested was a decorated Xmas tree to the delight of my wife!
We both thoroughly enjoyed the seven course taster menu accompanied by the recommended wine with each course and the service was attentive and an education without being overbearing.
Thanks very much to Tom who looked after us, my only complaint would be any attempts to book next year have failed due to being fully booked, wonder why?

Room Tip: Junior suite we had was pure luxury
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David B
Reviewed 7 December 2013

we stayed just one night whilst doing some Christmas shopping in the lakes. we really enjoyed our stay. The room was a small suite slightly quirky but homely and with great views. The food was outstanding, original and delicious, topped off by great really caring service. one small problem with hot water was quickly and efficiently sorted typically attentive.

Room Tip: all rooms seemed great
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

I decided to surprise my girlfriend for her Birthday and take her to the Lake District I wanted to make it extra special as I intended to propose! I did a fair amount of research and decided to book two nights away in the Samling. We were greeted by George who was very attentive and I felt that he would go out of his way to make our stay as memorable as it could be! We had tea for two with beautiful buttery shortbread whilst we waited for our room to be finished as we arrived a touch early.

George showed us to our room the Tyan! Attention to detail was impeccable the fire burning away in the corner with the single red rose I ordered on the pillow! My girlfriend was blown away ..just the reaction I wanted! I had booked the hot tub for 5pm and it is a must when u stay here, stunning view over lake Windermere whilst u relax in there!

Now on to the main event, dinner was Booked at 730 we were greeted with champagne and canapés whilst we decided upon the menu, we chose the alicate. The food was sublime and you could see that George thoroughly enjoyed telling us all about the different components! Some of the dishes looked like they had come from Heston! And really added to the drama and overall experience of the evening! Truly fantastic! Another really nice touch at the samling is the choice to have your breakfast served in your room which we did on both mornings. Staff quickly set up and served breakfast before leaving you and your loved one to enjoy the breakfast over the stunning views over the lake. Very Romantic.

Overall we had the most incredible Time at the Samling and myself and my now Fiancé! will most definitely be visiting again, a big thank you to all the staff for making our visit so special!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mattandlau
Reviewed 30 November 2013

This is a truly amazing place. During our fist visit we felt it was such a special place we booked to have our wedding there several months later! The day was perfect and months on, the select few people invite still talk about it with great fondness and how marvelous it all was. Obviously the location takes some beating, but along with that, it is the whole feel of the place - extremely tasteful but not over the top. The beautiful food and wines we have been fortunate to had there have been more like an experience, and nothing is too much trouble. George with his unassuming nature educate us on local cheese and wine knowledge. Jonny never failed to impress with his colourful cocktails and attention to details. We have and will be returning for many years to come.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the house and the cottages all have stunning views of the lake. Our favorite is the Bothy which is a small cottage just next to the main house which has it's own private patio area with views across the lake.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family