All reviewstasting menuhot tubdry iceren toiletriespre dessertmichelin starmatching winesafternoon teanespresso machinewine flightpetit foursjunior suitespecial occasiontrufflestunning viewshead cheflake district
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We stayed here as a present for our 10th wedding anniversary in Feb 2014.
We stayed in Barker Brow, and although it was a bit creaky, we thought this just added to its charm, we had a wonderful time. As we read some of the previous reviews, we decided to take our German shepherd dog with us. The hotel were very accommodating and friendly staff stopped for a chat when they were near, especially to make a fuss of our pup!
The restaurant reception was cosy and intimate without being intimidating. The food was delicious and we didn't find it weird at all, the frozen mojito was a show stopper!! We booked the hot tub ( which is super hot!!) and enjoyed a child free weekend. The view across the lake from the bed was fantastic and the food was exceptional, we opted for breakfast in bed, which felt very decadent.
All in all, a fab weekend, and a wow event for our anniversary, enjoy!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jules F
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stayed for a weekend - our first visit, and we loved it. The staff were fantastic, room service was always spot on and very quick, I felt that nothing was too much trouble. The room was very nice, cosy and clean. A bit creaky, which was a pain when going to the bathroom in the night, but we got used to this. We ate in the restaurant both nights, the food was fabulous, very earthy flavours that pushed the boundaries. We both thought there was a lot of truffle flavours in the menu, but as we love truffle this was a bonus! The only thing I really didn't like was the salmon dish with liquorice. The fish was beautifully cooked, but marred by totally overpowering liquorice flavours, and a revolting liquorice crisp that stuck to the roof of my mouth and served only to stick my teeth together. However, this was the exception - all other dishes were delicious. I particularly recommend the venison (perfectly cooked) and the pickled vegetables with quails egg and ham hock. There was an outstanding cheese chariot as well - which perfectly finished off a lovely meal. Breakfast both days was served In our room, and once again the service was efficient and speedy. The hollandaise sauce with the eggs Benedict was sublime, and large pots of tea/coffee meant we were set up very well for the day. My only real complaint is the hefty charge of £30 for 2 small packed lunches - which consisted of a sandwich, crisps, water, cake and an apple. Really??! However, we would love to return one day, The Samling is certainly a very special place.

Room Tip: The lake facing rooms give a stunning view of Windermere.
1  Thank Scallywagz
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We booked the Dove Nest for a romatic get away and it was lovely. The only problem we had was one of our chairs had a horrible stain on it (Which could be anything). I mentioned it and they sent the cleaner over. The cleaner said "I knew about it but didn't have time to do it" which I thought was rude. So I spoke to the manager who was very nice and sorted us out some champagne and an upgraded meal.
Apart from that, the whole experience was lovely. I would recommend the seven course taster menu, it takes just below the 3 hour time they tell you, that you need. The staff would bring out all sorts of strange dishes and give a very detailed description, which was informative and interesting. We used the hot tub at about 10pm (in February) and it was raining hard. However the this didn't spoil the mood as the hot tub kept us lovely and warm. The hot tub view is much better of a day, for anyone who wants more to look at.
The location is about halfway up a steep hill. This gives you great views and looks great when driving to it. The room looked well kept and had quirky features which we both enjoyed. There was a few marks in the shower but the two-person free standing bath was great. It also has a side bit attached to place your champagne :).

I'd love to go again as it was a nice and different hotel experience, to what I am used to. I am normally a fussy eater so I was glad that I took the risk and tried their great menu.
Also, the room came with dvd player and sky.

Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had afternoon tea at the Samling in February. Having been to a number of places locally for afternoon tea we were very excited to come here. Mainly because of the reputation of the hotel and also because of its Michelin star.

The service from start to finish was excellent! The two gentleman who looked after us were attentive and warm, whilst unobtrusive.

We sat in the lounge overlooking the lake and enjoyed the view from the slightly worn sofas. The first gentleman brought out a selection of extravagant home bleneded teas for us to choose from and wow, they were impressive. Pungent and elaborate.

The cakes soon followed and although they were enjoyable I thought they weren't as exciting and crafted as we had experienced at other local hotels. All looked like they had been made in bulk and then portioned. The perfect afternoon tea to me encompasses varying styles, tastes and textures of cake as well as a degree of creativity. Most of which just wasn't there.

All in all the experience was enjoyable but for a Michelin starred top local hotel, I would have expected more.

Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank JoeCobb
Reviewed 20 February 2014

What a fantastic present this turned out to be to mark my retirement from teaching. Everything about our stay was magnificent - the luxurious room with beautiful views of the lake, the delicious food and the professional and helpful staff. We opted for the tasting menu with the wine flight. Each course was well presented and innovative and the accompanying wines extremely well selected. The whole meal was perfectly timed with exceptional service from the knowledgeable staff. We can't wait to return to this fabulous hotel.

2  Thank Patsy2652