The Samling Hotel
  • Restaurant
The Regent Hotel(Ambleside)
The Fisherbeck(Ambleside)
View Hotel
All reviewstasting menuhot tubdry iceren productspre dessertmichelin starmatching winesnespresso machineafternoon teapetit foursjunior suitetrufflestunning viewsspecial occasionhead chefnew cheflake district
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We decided spend a night at The Samling just before Christmas as a treat, we only live in Kendal so could have booked a taxi but on seeing a deal with Secret Escapes decided to stay over. We arrived at 3pmish on a Sunday afternoon as Sunday lunches were finishing, we struggled to park the car then carried our luggage in to the hall where we stood by the bureau (no actual reception) for at least 5 minutes before anyone attended to us. A waiter politely offered us tea in the lounge where we were ushered quickly to a settee with all our baggage and damp coats, obviously they were too busy to attend to us and this was the easiest way to occupy us until someone was available! The tea, shortbread and Sunday papers were fine but I did not expect them to be added to our final bill as they were for the hotel's convenience! After about 30minutes we were shown to our room, Yan on the 1st floor of the hotel. This room was a great disapointment, no actual wardrobe just a small curtained alcove where we had to hang our change of clothes and damp coats, an oversized shabby cupboard which took up a lot of space and only housed a TV. a lovely Arts and Crafts style dressing table with a knob missing. There was a lovely real small Christmas tree but as the room is so small it meant to sit on the settee you had your legs in the tree!! There were fresh flowers and fruit and a Nespresso coffee machine which were also nice touches but why was there Norwegian water when the hotel is in The Lakes why was there no local water?? The bathroom was also looking tired, there was an open cupboard under the basin that obviously should not have been, and the floor tiles were grubby round the edges. I also could not find anything in the room as to where fire exits were in the event of a fire. The room was also noisy due to kitchen deliveries and I have never stayed in such a warm room. I actually had to go outside next morning before breakfast to get some fresh air and cool down as I felt so hot I thought I was going to be ill!!
My husband and I had booked the hot tub at 5pm to use before changing for dinner. We went out of the back door and finnally found it (after asking a member of staff) up a poorly lit path. What a dissapointment, it would have been lovely to use and looked hot so did'nt matter that it was raining except that there was NOWHERE to leave our dressing gowns and slippers where they could have kept dry!
We returned to our room and I decided to have a deep bubble bath, there were REN toiletries in the room which were lovely but no bath foam or shower gel! I rang reception who confirmed they had run out of bath oil/shower gel but I could have some body lotion....no use in the bath!!
However, I cannot fault the 7 course tasting menu with wine flight, Tom our waiter was entertaining, friendly and informative. The courses were small but well made and presented with lots of special touches and the wines well matched. Breakfast next day was lovely and informal.
All in all I could not fault the meal and Tom! However I would not stay here again as the room was a huge disapointment, we should have booked a taxi home.

Room Tip: Do Not stay in YAN!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank spr1965
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Stayed here for a night in Manmire. The room is fantastic, with a private-ish patio overlooking Windermere. I say private-ish because the hotel has a hot tub that is used on a rota basis, and this overlooks Manmire's patio, but there's no line of sight contact so it's mostly secluded. The room itself is split on two levels with the bed on the second level. The only problem was that the curtains in the upper floor gave virtually no exclusion of light, so the bedroom was light as soon as the sun was up. I ended up sleeping on the sofa on the lower level as that was still in relative darkness.

The meal was fantastic, each course a treat. I really liked the way that they used a vacuum coffee maker to make the infused flavours of the fish broth. We're getting one after seeing it. The only slight let-down was the dessert, it was at least two completely disjoint set of flavours on the same plate - would have been better as two independant courses. Wine list good and a decent selection of half bottles.

So I would stay here again but not in Manmire, only because of the light in the sleeping area. If the room had blackout blinds it would be a massive improvement.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stayed here for our wedding anniversary. We were upgraded from a luxury room to a suite-Pym-right at the top with fantastic views. The room was immaculate (but was let down a little by a couple of the tables and the sofa being quite shabby). The bed and decor were great though and the views wonderful! It was nice to have a real coffee machine and the offer of real milk when we wanted it (if we didn't want the little cartons). Right from arrival the service was impeccable. My husband is recovering from a knee operation and the staff brought us ice and carried our (considerable, for one night) bags, crutches and ice machine. (This, I know, is what one would expect, but there was a "lot" of stuff!). You can book the hot tub outside for exclusive use (which we did) and again, enjoyed that great view from the bubbles! Our meal, from canapés to dessert was wonderful with friendly, informative service from staff who knew about their food and wine and were rightly proud of it. Go for a special occasion. We did, and another couple dining at the next table got engaged and earned a round of applause from everyone-not a dry eye in the house! I hope they enjoyed their stay as much as we did-I suspect that they did!

Room Tip: and bright with character and great views but mind your head on the sloping ceilings!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

My partner and I absolutely love this place, it's just amazing!
We were here last month and stayed in the lethera suite And tried the 7 course tasting menu which was mind blowing!
But this time we were back for my birthday And stayed in manmire, wow it's just beautiful and the view is stunning from this suite!
We were lucky enough to be in the hot tub with champagne at 5-6 pm and 2 Hercules flew low over head which was the most amazing sight and sound!
Everything from arriving to leaving is truly 5 star.
Jen again looked after us in the restaurant and was fantastic, interesting and informative as always, ( thank you) x
This is a place we will continue to go back to a few times a year when we feel the need to step off the world for a while and relax and be totally looked after!
Thank you Samling you really have the best staff, they are unobtrusive, attentive and professional
We can't wait to be back! X

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2014

This is a beautiful hotel with excellent staff in a lovely location. We booked a two night stay and were delighted with our room overlooking Lake Windermere [ although there were no drawers so we couldn't completely unpack ]. However, despite having eaten in outstanding restaurants around the globe for almost 40 years, we found the dinner menu here completely incomprehensible. I'm sure that this style of cooking is very clever, lots of foam,steam and ash, but the food looks unpleasant and tastes even worse. There are a bewildering array of ingredients on each dish but not very much of anything in particular.The thai prawn tail main course [ yes, one prawn tail ] came with numerous but superfluous accompaniments--squid ink pasta, ash etc which my wife found inedible. My halibut main arrive floating in a bowl of soup. The fish here comes from Cornwall so the texture is similar to that found in your local supermarket. I couldn't face any more by the time the dessert menu arrived and my wife left most of hers.That night we were both very unwell and so missed breakfast and decided to head for home rather than endure any more. This is a lovely hotel to stay in but there are so many far better places to eat. You have been warned.

Room Tip: Lake facing rooms are wonderful.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple