The Samling Hotel
Hotels.com
TripAdvisor
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant(Windermere)
The Lamplighter(Windermere)
Craig Manor Hotel(Windermere)
  • Restaurant
All reviewstasting menuhot tubdry iceren productspre dessertmichelin starmatching winesnespresso machineafternoon teapetit foursjunior suitetrufflestunning viewsspecial occasionhead chefnew cheflake district
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Whilst up in the lakes my husband and I thought that we would try the Samling for afternoon tea; we were really pleased we did. The service was great from start to finish and all of the tasty treats were delicious.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LizFarq
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Fantastic location, Lovely, if a little tired, room and absolutely fabulous food. However my two teenage sons were not too impressed with their " tough and re-heated " steaks. However I think this may have been caused by the wedding speeches they had to witness between courses !! - they were fed separately in another room.

The wedding itself was beautiful and went very smoothly in a lovely room over looking the lake. The staff were very discreet and professional, however an order pad might help them to get the correct drinks first time round !!!

Will be back for a weekend with hubby only as, I'm sure, The Samling will shine as a romantic getaway.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I would have liked to be able to do separate reviews for the food and the accommodation at the Samling. I communicated with the management by mail after our visit but have not had the courtesy of a reply so will share my feelings on Trip Advisor. It is hard to know where shabby chic becomes careworn neglect but our room - Barker Brow - must run it pretty close with worn, stained carpets, furniture with doors that would not close, holes in the chairs and ill-fitting windows. And my ultimate bete noire in an expensive hotel - thief proof hangers in the wardrobes - a feature that shouts 'we don't trust our clientele'. Don't expect bigger than a 5' bed.

But then the place redeems itself with magnificent dining. We ate there for both nights of our stay enjoying the taster menu with wine flight one evening and the a la carte offering the other. Both were excellent and the Samling richly deserves its recently awarded Michelin star. I agree that the dining room is a little lacking in atmosphere and, if you do not warm to the theatricality of Michelin starred dining, avoid it. But we awarded it top marks.

It is expensive - don't expect change from £1000 for a couple of nights' stay - which prevents me awarding a 5* review given the deficiencies in the accommodation. Probably best to stay elsewhere, pay for a taxi and get a dinner reservation.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Edward1951S
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My husband treated me to a night at this hotel for my birthday. It is a stunning hotel. The grounds are beautiful with a great view of the lake. The weather was lovely while we were there so we had tea on the terrace looking out at the stunning views. Our room was at the front of the hotel with 3 windows over looking the gardens and the lake. We had complimentary water and crisps in the room. The toiletries provided were REN and you had two of each so no chance of running out. We had pre dinner cocktails in the lounge and then the 7 course taster menu with matching wines. The restaurant was very small and I think it was only hotel residents eating there that night. The food was spectacular and the presentation was fantastic. Our table was booked 7.45pm for 8.15pm and we enjoyed our meal at a leisurely pace & left our table to have tea & coffee in the lounge at 10.45pm. On returning back to our room we completed the breakfast menu & specified the time we wanted & it was served in our room at a bistro table positioned in the window so we could look out over the lake. This is definitely a hotel for a special occasion & I would recommend the taster menu & matching wines.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KristyKel
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Having been unable to get an evening reservation as they were full, we went for lunch instead. They still served both a taster and a la carte menu both of which were very appealing. We went for a la carte (at £60 pp) and I have to say it was exceptional ! The service was impeccable, the food amazing and the surroundings very comfortable. Can't wait to to back ....

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple