“Fantastic 2 night stay.”
Review of The Samling Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Samling Hotel
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
SUNSHINE COAST AUSTRALIA
“Fantastic 2 night stay.”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed for 2 nights on a 'Dinner Bed and Breakfast' package. First our room was the 'Blue Room' - it was a great choice with fantastic views over the lake. It also had a fantastic bathroom - exceptionally large bath, a separate shower and a huge double vanity - so you can spread your things out. The view from our room was so good we decided to have breakfast in or room both mornings. Now to dinner - both nights the food was exceptional, they certainly deserve their Michelin star. The staff were friendly and knowledgeable. The gardens are very pretty as well. We really enjoyed or two night stay and can highly recommend the Samling.

1 Thank rojaan1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

I cannot fault this place. My wife and I stayed here for a couple of days and would not have changed anything. We loved everything about the hotel, we have booked to go back next year and plan to go each year for the foreseeable future. The location is perfect for lake Windermere and away from the town so nice and quiet.

The staff are polite and attentive and could not do enough for us, particularly Alisdair and Tom. We had the afternoon tea one day and dinner in the Michelin star restaurant the next. The afternoon tea is a must and great value for 25£ a head compared to some other hotels. I'm not a particularly big foodie so probably didn't appreciate the food in the restaurant as much as I should have but nonetheless it was very good and we'll definitely be booking into the restaurant when we return. Tom was our waiter and was very knowledgable on all the food, how it was cooked, the wine list etc.

We stayed in Hovera which is one if the suites. The rooms are expensive though they worth it if only for the views.

Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Lake District.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank James W
Crewe
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

I'm told that The Samling has lost and regained it's Michelin Star a couple of times in the past. It has been on a list of "somewhere we aught to visit" for quite a long time but has always fallen short and we have stayed and/or eaten at the place that's easily visible, over the fields, from the terrace at The Samling (T.S).

When an offer came up, on a well known website, I booked a one night midweek stay, last week. I must admit that it was a bit of a punt! I almost cancelled because my dog minder couldn't look after my dog, so I 'phoned T.S. and asked if they allowed dogs. I was told that dogs were allowed in their junior-suites, so I paid the £50 upgrade.

T. S. is an attractive building looking out over open fields, Lake Windermere and the hills. I know from my visits to the place across the fields that the views, at sunset, are stunning. Sadly it was, cloudy, misty and dull so the sunset views were denied us. There were a couple of issues with the allocated room but these were very professionally dealt with by the deputy general manager. The furniture in our junior suite was best described as "shabby chic", but we didn't mind that.

The whole place is spotlessly clean and the art on the walls was a joy. The staff were courteous and helpful. The gardens magnificent. I was able to walk down the drive to the main Windermere road and then out into Ambleside or to "The Low Wood" (an establishment that I'm familiar with having attended residential conferences there).

I saw deer in the woods beside the drive.

We had afternoon tea on the terrace. The tea was very good and the service excellent, however I wouldn't advise afternoon tea for anyone contemplating the gourmet menu in the evening. It was not a Spartan offering!

Before I get onto why we will be going back to T.S. again let me get the dinning rooms and service out of the way.

Our waitress, a delightful French lady, was extremely helpful and described each course in great detail - wonderful. The dinning room is split between two small rooms each affording the diners a degree of intimacy. They are well decorated and smart. Our table was immaculately set. The wine list, for me, showed a lack of breadth and imagination. The Deputy General Manager seemed to act as sommelier and his choice for the beef dish was spot on.

On the menu we were asked to switch off mobile phones and not take photos in the dinning room. Restaurants that stipulate such things should enforce their rules and not totally ignore people who do the very things they're told not to do! There was a French couple who spent half the meal texting and photographing the food. They spoke immaculate English!

The Star turn at T.S. is unquestionably the food. The chef is a superstar in waiting! The last time I made such a pronouncement was at Nathan Outlaw's first venture at Rock - "The Black Pig". I've eaten at all 4 of his places in Cornwall and predicted that he would, eventually, get two stars. The chef at T.S. will do too. The food here is inventive, original, spectacular and ticked every box for us. How can I best describe him...."Sat Bains meets, Simon Rogan, meets Nathan Outlaw meets the The Sanchez Iglesias brothers meets Marc Wilkinson". (And yes, I have eaten at all their restaurants). The haddock and beef dishes were fabulous. They've joined a short list of the best dishes that I've ever experienced. Such an inventive use of a cona coffee machine in the haddock dish! The sauce, gravy jus for the beef dish.....well never in a month of Sundays...but it worked, fantastic. The other 5 dishes were memorable too. We were lucky enough to meet the chef, what a delightful young man, who is willing to stretch the boundaries.

If you want to eat Michelin 2 star standard food from a young chef who has yet to win that accolade, go to The Samling.

Yet again I must say that I am not in the food/hotel business, never have been, and have no connection with anyone at The Samling. I am a retired medic who will definitely drag his weary bones back up to The Samling for a repeat gastronomic delight.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank John F
Oldham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Stayed in Methera, eneormous room with huge bathroom, inlcuding separate bath and shower. The room was clean and very well appointed with superb views from both windows. Lovely gardens and terrace area. Food was superb and just a little unusual. The young staff were extremely friendly and chatty but very professional. The service was really good and unobtrusive. We were there on a Secret Escapes deal so it was pretty good value. Very highly recommended.

1 Thank Carryce
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We were made welcome in a very relaxed and friendly manner from the moment of arrival by the harming young staff. While not a suite, it could have been so described with comfortable seating overlooking the lake. The evening became like a house party with guests chatting to each other during pre-dinner drinks and dinner. And the tasting menu is worth it with- clever, fresh and wonderful mix of ingredients.
There were lots of pleasurable touches throughout our stay.
We were made to feel that nothing was too much trouble.

Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My wife and I have wanted to visit The Samling for a number of years, so when we spotted a deal in the lead up to our wedding anniversary we booked our night's stay. We were not disappointed. It is definitely one of the best hotels in the Lakes. The staff were friendly but not intrusive, helpful without being obnoxious. The food was tasty and well presented with portions being appropriately sized to leave you feeling well fed but not gluttonous. The views are lovely with rooms orientated to make the most of the hotel's position above Windermere. Overall the hotel is posh without being pretentious. I would recommend it, and will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: Our room was a bit hot overnight, so I slept relatively poorly, but the location is so quiet I shoul...